The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Great short-lived shows

<< < (17/23) > >>

That Don Guy:

--- Quote from: gameshowfan2001 on August 15, 2024, 08:21:03 PM ---The Hustler

--- End quote ---
I liked the BBC's version better: The Enemy Within - five players, a total of 50 questions, each player earns money for a correct answer, but one of the five is given all of the questions and answers in advance; at the end of the game, the players (and the audience, if the players are tied) vote on who the "enemy" is - if they're right, the enemy gets nothing and the other four keep what they've won plus 1/4 of the enemy's money, but if they're wrong, they lose everything to the enemy.

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on August 18, 2024, 03:58:38 PM ---A few years ago I got into Bobby Van's Make Me Laugh and watched a few episodes on Youtube. I also enjoyed the Comedy Central version and am surprised it hasn't been revived since, outside of a proposed version about a decade ago. With so many comics finding fame through social media, it's not like there's a shortage of funny people willing to work for scale and get their name out there, just like Bob Saget, Howie Mandel, Patton Oswalt, and so many others did back in the day.
--- End quote ---
I remember enjoying what I saw of it as a high schooler, but there was a betting element that felt out of place. I'm fine with it as sort of an adjunct to an evening of comedy, and would cap winnings at a couple grand so as to not overshadow the acts.

tvwxman:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on August 18, 2024, 03:58:38 PM ---A few years ago I got into Bobby Van's Make Me Laugh and watched a few episodes on Youtube.

--- End quote ---

Which inevitably leads to the next topic : Which hosts should have had longer careers ? I was, and will always be a huge fan of Bobby Van - died WAY too early in his life. 

3 game shows with less than decent formats , that he made entertaining. Add to him filling in as host of Tattletales, and I'd say he was one of , if not the number one, most underrated hosts in the genre.

SamJ93:

--- Quote from: tvwxman on August 19, 2024, 11:13:25 AM ---
--- Quote from: BrandonFG on August 18, 2024, 03:58:38 PM ---A few years ago I got into Bobby Van's Make Me Laugh and watched a few episodes on Youtube.

--- End quote ---

Which inevitably leads to the next topic : Which hosts should have had longer careers ? I was, and will always be a huge fan of Bobby Van - died WAY too early in his life. 

3 game shows with less than decent formats , that he made entertaining. Add to him filling in as host of Tattletales, and I'd say he was one of , if not the number one, most underrated hosts in the genre.

--- End quote ---

Larry Blyden (whom Van coincidentally replaced on Showoffs) is definitely up there as well. Outside of his stint on WML?, very little of his work has been preserved, which is a shame as he had an infectious energy and personality (no pun intended). I could easily see him being considered to host Body Language or Super Password had he survived into the '80s.

tyshaun1:

--- Quote from: tvwxman on August 19, 2024, 11:13:25 AM ---Which inevitably leads to the next topic : Which hosts should have had longer careers ? I was, and will always be a huge fan of Bobby Van - died WAY too early in his life. 

--- End quote ---
I would've liked to have seen Kevin O'Connell get a few more shots at some games... how did he only get 1 13-week gig? I think his hosting style would've been great on Super Password or Scrabble.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version