Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Great short-lived shows  (Read 11350 times)

TimK2003

Re: Great short-lived shows
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2024, 07:24:38 PM »
Divorce Court kept him busy.

Forgot about that show...By choice!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2024, 07:48:08 PM »
Was Jim Peck ever considered as a candidate to take over TTD after Wink left, or was he wanting to get out of the business by that time and go back to Milwaukee?  He would've done a way better job than Jim Caldwell did.

Divorce Court kept him busy.

I wasn't so sure he was ready to bail on game shows at *that* point....there was this......

There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2024, 10:54:03 PM »
Which hosts should have had longer careers ?

I would've loved to have seen Jim Perry get another gig in the 90s. In a perfect world, he did The Challengers and Dick Clark hosted $100KP that season instead of John Davidson.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

alfonzos

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2024, 12:01:35 AM »
Four words: "Let's Play Post Office." I was lucky enough to view the pilot with awful video. The show was still compelling.

BTW, if you liked "Stumpers" you will probably enjoy "Pass-ack Words" by R&R Games.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

carlisle96

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2024, 04:36:48 PM »
A few years ago I got into Bobby Van's Make Me Laugh and watched a few episodes on Youtube.

Which inevitably leads to the next topic : Which hosts should have had longer careers ? I was, and will always be a huge fan of Bobby Van - died WAY too early in his life. 

3 game shows with less than decent formats , that he made entertaining. Add to him filling in as host of Tattletales, and I'd say he was one of , if not the number one, most underrated hosts in the genre.

Peter Tomarken could have been a classic journeyman host in the Art James-Tom Kennedy-Bob Eubanks tradition (one show flops, but here comes another one...and another...and another) if daytime game shows hadn't dried up by the early 90s and, of course, if he had lived

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2024, 12:24:10 AM »
Neumms mentioned Bruce's Hot Streak, and I was hoping that Get a Clue would have tread that ground rather than just no-danger Catch Phrase.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2024, 12:48:23 PM »
Neumms mentioned Bruce's Hot Streak, and I was hoping that Get a Clue would have tread that ground rather than just no-danger Catch Phrase.

Bruce Forsyth’s Hot Streak (I may be the only one here who liked it)
I've thought for a couple years that this would be a fantastic revival for a network like GSN. Casting doesn't have to find related groups of 4, there's really no need to create material other than the words, and it's been off for so long that the rights to create a new version couldn't cost much.

Great minds and all.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2024, 12:54:42 PM »
Apologies! But also if the three of us agree on something, that is in itself something.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2024, 05:01:11 PM »
After going thru many of the Reletively Speaking episodes on Tubi, even though John Byner was annoying at the start of each show -- from his cue card greeting to his rule-reading characters at the same Universal Studios locales (he got better later in the episodes) there is a decent format in there that deserves a second look.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2024, 07:26:06 PM »
It is getting a second look as Claim to Fame.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 08:01:45 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2024, 10:34:30 PM »
Apologies! But also if the three of us agree on something, that is in itself something.

I agree!

tvwxman

« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2024, 08:43:50 AM »

Also a Hot Streak fan - and surprised it hasn't been done again, since it was a worldwide success.

Always thought Austrailias version was fantastic. - right down to the music and set.  Find some on youtube if you havent' seen
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Neumms

« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2024, 05:11:15 PM »
I'd like to offer Million Dollar Mind Game.

Seconded. Didn't like the host but really fun.

Speaking of cerebral games, I wonder if anybody watched Trebek Double Dare on Prime.

How did the pilot work with just the Spoilers? Now, I loved the Spoilers, the unintentionally hilarious nerds. The game seemed flawed, though. Pop culture answer, you win. Humanities stuff, no way. Maybe all luck is okay for a bonus game--rolling giant dice as fast as you can was brilliant--but not the whole thing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2024, 05:26:17 PM by Neumms »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2024, 07:03:00 PM »

I agree!
Oh, absolutely! My reply wasn't in the vein of "here, I said the thing first", more "insert meme of Spider-Men pointing at each other"

I thought Caesars Challenge was a nifty word game (and I'm one of the few that thought the second bonus round was better).

Trivial Pursuit (sans the touch tone lead in half hour) was also a fun 30 minutes, and went through more content in half an hour than I originally thought- roughly 40 questions in the front game. Really hoping that the new version resembles that pace versus the 2007 version.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

mmb5

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2024, 07:19:04 PM »
I'd like to offer Million Dollar Mind Game.

Seconded. Didn't like the host but really fun.

Speaking of cerebral games, I wonder if anybody watched Trebek Double Dare on Prime.

How did the pilot work with just the Spoilers? Now, I loved the Spoilers, the unintentionally hilarious nerds. The game seemed flawed, though. Pop culture answer, you win. Humanities stuff, now way. Maybe all luck is okay for a bonus game--rolling giant dice as fast as you can was brilliant--but not the whole thing.

IIRC, the only thing that changed from pilot to series is that you had to get 5 questions through 10 possibilities rather than 4 from 8.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.