Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I've Got a Secret: The Lost Years (1954)  (Read 1397 times)

Matt Ottinger

I've Got a Secret: The Lost Years (1954)
« on: August 08, 2024, 11:16:23 AM »
OK, right away, "lost" is strong, since we know most of these cigarette-sponsored shows are still in Fremantle's vaults and just never got shown on GSN.  Also, nothing would beat actually being able to watch these shows.  But...

We've got just about the next best thing over at the I've Got a Secret Website.  Thanks to Kevin Segura (a member here) we now have access to notes that were maintained for Gil Fates for each episode for I've Got a Secret, as they took place.  The notes are brief (they rarely include the contestant's names, for example) and sometimes hard to read, but with them we've been able to reconstruct just about all of the episodes so you can at least read about the guests and the secrets for that missing year. 

Along the way, you'll read about Bill Cullen's wife Carol Ames, the judge who married Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio, a woman who escaped communist Czechoslovakia in a homemade tank, the self-proclaimed yo-yo champion of the world, and not one, but two different secrets involving Rin Tin Tin.  Plus about 150 others.

It's just the calendar year 1954 for now (which is where the notes begin, for some reason) but we'll be going through the entire run and filling in gaps as we can.  In the end, we'll have specific details on all but about 30 of the 681 episodes that were produced, something I never thought I'd be able to say.  I know this is a passion project to me, but still, I think you might find some of the stories interesting.

https://ivegotasecret.nicepage.io/
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SuperMatch93

Re: I've Got a Secret: The Lost Years (1954)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2024, 11:46:33 AM »
Fun stuff! I've really enjoyed seeing how this site has evolved over the last year, well done.

Curious: does Kevin also have access to Gil's notes for What's My Line? There was a phenomenal episode guide on TV.com for years based on it (including notes on now-lost episodes) but that's gone. I distinctly remember reading in those notes that Bill Cullen was a panelist on one episode in 1950; I would've let you or Adam know, but I don't remember the exact date of his appearance.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2024, 12:32:46 PM »
the judge who married Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio

I didn't realize polygamy was legal in the '50s.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2024, 05:45:25 PM »
the judge who married Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio

I didn't realize polygamy was legal in the '50s.

<like>

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2024, 05:50:05 PM »
Curious: does Kevin also have access to Gil's notes for What's My Line? There was a phenomenal episode guide on TV.com for years based on it (including notes on now-lost episodes) but that's gone. I distinctly remember reading in those notes that Bill Cullen was a panelist on one episode in 1950; I would've let you or Adam know, but I don't remember the exact date of his appearance.

I'll let Kevin answer that since he's on here somewhat regularly.  However, be aware that these Secret notes start in 1954, after the show had been on the air for eighteen months.  If he does have such a reference, it might not start from the beginning either.

I can't remember the specifics of our verification efforts at the time, but Adam and I don't yet feel comfortable agreeing with that 1950 Bill Cullen panel appearance.  We'd love to be proven wrong, though!

RMF

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2024, 02:34:20 AM »
Fun stuff! I've really enjoyed seeing how this site has evolved over the last year, well done.

For those interested, the page in question- the episode in question was #25, which aired on November 19th, 1950

JohnXXVII

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2024, 01:29:18 AM »
If only we could see the video for these shows before all of us pass away  :'(