Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Great, but forgotten, long-running shows  (Read 3037 times)

alfonzos

Re: Great, but forgotten, long-running shows
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2024, 06:29:01 PM »
"Play Your Hunch" - Goodson-Todman's longest running series (six years) to never be revived. The show burned through a lot of demonstrations over the years to justify the questions.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

BillCullen1

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2024, 06:44:56 PM »
"Play Your Hunch" - Goodson-Todman's longest running series (six years) to never be revived. The show burned through a lot of demonstrations over the years to justify the questions.

Featuring Merv Griffin with a live orchestra and giving Johnny Olson his first announcing job for G-T.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2024, 06:59:11 PM »
There's actually been two Beat the Clock reboots in the 21st Century. One was hosted by Gary Kroeger and ran on Pax around 2002, and the other ran on a smaller cable network (The Hub or something? Maybe Discovery Family?). They were both pretty short-lived, so Steve may have a point. But Sam also makes good points about other stunt shows still had an audience.

If we're talking about cable shows, how about Win Ben Stein's Money? Ran for years, launched Jimmy Kimmel's career...does anybody remember it now?

That said, while I quite like WBSM, I don't think it could be revived, largely because it seems to me to be completely dependent on Ben Stein's persona. I doubt he would come back, and I also doubt the show would work if you swapped Ben out for a Jeopardy superchampion or whatever.

Small sample but I was the only one in my house that got Jimmy Kimmel's joke on Millionaire about him telling producers to get rid of ask the host.  He said something about the host should not be part of game and have to answer questions.