Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Things you would done differently Wheel of Fortune  (Read 4662 times)

Kevin Prather

Re: Things you would done differently Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2024, 11:08:43 PM »

I've long advocated for a wider spread of dollar values on the wheel, although not as high as Chelsea is proposing (if the top dollar value is $5,000, a $2,500 wedge makes the top dollar value less special). I'd go as low as one or two $200 spaces... make buying a vowel mean something.

When the nighttime version debuted they replaced the $2000 space from the daytime version with $5000 and still had a $1500 space.  I would maybe go back to that kind of configuration.  I agree that it should be special, but it's too big a jump from $900 to $5000 without something in between - at least one other four-figure amount.

I think if $2000 and $1500 could share a wheel, then so could $5000 and $2500. But in lieu thereof, $2000 could make a comeback.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2024, 02:04:07 PM »
I think if $2000 and $1500 could share a wheel, then so could $5000 and $2500. But in lieu thereof, $2000 could make a comeback.
One thing that I think more people notice than they imagine is that at least on NBC daytime and even nighttime, the lower money amounts escalated as well (and the evening shows just plunked down a sparkly wedge on the R1 and R2 wheels.)

That escalation of stakes at every level increases the excitement more than just having a $5,000 wheel where everything else is $500 to $850.
Travis L. Eberle

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2024, 02:33:46 PM »
There's a nighttime episode from a couple months after Wheel switched to the cash format where, when they get to round 5, they move the $5000 wedge to uncover the $2K wedge from the daytime show, but ALSO keep $1500 on the wheel.

Having $5K, $2K, and $1500 on the wheel at the same time (but also still two bankrupts and a Lose a Turn) makes for such interesting gameplay, and whether by accident or as an experiment, it's something I wish they'd continued doing or eventually even brought to round 4.

Screenshot from credits (also one of the last known times they used the chroma key shot in the credits at night)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2024, 03:11:32 PM »
There's a nighttime episode from a couple months after Wheel switched to the cash format where, when they get to round 5, they move the $5000 wedge to uncover the $2K wedge from the daytime show, but ALSO keep $1500 on the wheel.

Having $5K, $2K, and $1500 on the wheel at the same time (but also still two bankrupts and a Lose a Turn) makes for such interesting gameplay, and whether by accident or as an experiment, it's something I wish they'd continued doing or eventually even brought to round 4.

I'd take the $1500 and $2000 in Round 3, and $1500 and $2500 in Round 4.

I understand the need to put in more puzzles in a half-hour; a lack of a diverse wheel (in terms of spaces) the competitiveness (especially if you have runaway games fueled by Extra Wheel and R3 Prizes).

tpirfan28

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2024, 11:05:15 AM »
Added/adjusted wheel values?
R1: $1000/$2500 TDV
R2: Mystery $1000/$1500/$3500 TDV
R3: $1000/$1500/$2000/$5000 TDV
R4: $1000/$1500/$2000/$10,000 TDV

And I'm upping vowels to $1000.  Only cash won determines the winner (so Prize Puzzle is a bonus).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2024, 03:19:04 PM »
If it’s Dream Wheel why is everyone keeping what is by far the most hated element of the show.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2024, 06:31:03 PM »
If it’s Dream Wheel why is everyone keeping what is by far the most hated element of the show.

I agree.  Why can't the contestants.draw lots before the show and the winner gets the #1/Red, runner up gets #2/Yellow and the third gets the #3/Blue position?  No need.for the buzz-ins at all, let alone multiple.buzz-ins, when the freakin' game is WHEEL of Fortune.

colonial

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2024, 08:14:20 PM »
Take a page out of the recent UK revival by not including prizes as part of a player's running total to determine a winner. Get a prize off the wheel, make it count as, say, $750 a letter. It may encourage longer game play and bank building during rounds, which doesn't seem to exist these days. (I don't watch the show that much, but I do shake my head when a contestant asks to solve and they've left open a board, with, for instance, three Gs or four Ws still available).

Crazy idea time -- the show goes viral when a contestant makes a correct solve with just one or two letters showing (NEW BABY BUGGY, for example). In the main game, make a one-letter solve worth a significant bonus that's not included in the player's running total. A new car, perhaps? A five-figure Amazon gift card? Or an escalating jackpot that starts at $10,000 and you add $1K every show there's no solve?

JD

Kevin Prather

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2024, 08:14:44 PM »

I agree.  Why can't the contestants.draw lots before the show and the winner gets the #1/Red, runner up gets #2/Yellow and the third gets the #3/Blue position?  No need.for the buzz-ins at all, let alone multiple.buzz-ins, when the freakin' game is WHEEL of Fortune.

I don't think that's what Travis was talking about.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2024, 08:24:35 PM »
It wasn't. For every person who says "The Prize Puzzle is unbalanced or game-breaking!" nobody is saying to send it off to the island of misfit formats.

Maybe they're implying it but I'm not inferring it.

How is there a runner-up from drawing lots? You just grab little plastic beads or colored marbles. Who cares.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2024, 10:51:52 PM »
And it's not like gimmicks haven't come and gone before on the show. If the Prize Puzzle was quietly retired, and especially if it was replaced with a wheel prize, no viewers would bat an eyelash.

I'd imagine taking away the Million Dollar bonus round would be a lot more challenging. Is there any case of a show offering a $1 million prize and then no longer offering it? Or even $100,000? GSN Pyramid is the only example that jumps right to mind.

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2024, 11:00:39 PM »
Million Dollar Password deciding to become Regular Password for $25K.

Do the Primetime TPiR specials count?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2024, 11:21:33 PM »
I'd imagine taking away the Million Dollar bonus round would be a lot more challenging. Is there any case of a show offering a $1 million prize and then no longer offering it? Or even $100,000? GSN Pyramid is the only example that jumps right to mind.

I was going to say DOND, but I checked and the primetime/syndicated runs aired concurrently; for some reason I always thought that the latter didn't start until NBC had canceled it.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Kevin Prather

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2024, 11:50:07 PM »
Million Dollar Password deciding to become Regular Password for $25K.

Do the Primetime TPiR specials count?

Two good examples that I missed.

I was going to say DOND, but I checked and the primetime/syndicated runs aired concurrently; for some reason I always thought that the latter didn't start until NBC had canceled it.

Yeah, I thought of Weakest Link as another example, but like DoND, that was more of a daytime/nighttime thing.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2024, 12:04:46 AM »
Weakest Link actually increased the total prize in the second season.

Let’s Ask America had no problem lopping thirty percent off its grand prize, and Hollywood Squares moved the car to th3 third bonus win, though the cars became more luxurious.
Travis L. Eberle