Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High Rollers question  (Read 1611 times)

bulldog_06

High Rollers question
« on: March 17, 2004, 04:53:38 PM »
I am a big High Rollers fan, but I wanted to that:

Is it true that such stars like Leslie Uggams, Suzanne Somers, Dawn Wells, and Nanette Fabray helped assist Alex Trebek on the '70s versions of High Rollers? If they did what years were they on there?

uncamark

High Rollers question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 05:23:56 PM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 04:53 PM\']I am a big High Rollers fan, but I wanted to that:

Is it true that such stars like Leslie Uggams, Suzanne Somers, Dawn Wells, and Nanette Fabray helped assist Alex Trebek on the '70s versions of High Rollers? If they did what years were they on there?[/quote]
Don't know about Suzanne, but the other ladies were fill-ins for Ruta Lee at one point or another in the original run--and Elaine Stewart did the syndicated version in 1976.

bulldog_06

High Rollers question
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 06:02:32 PM »
The reason I asked because she is labeled an assistant at the Internet Movie Database, and most of the stuff is true there, and I just wasn't sure or not.

ChuckNet

High Rollers question
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 09:49:18 PM »
The reason I asked because she is labeled an assistant at the Internet Movie Database, and most of the stuff is true there, and I just wasn't sure or not.

Most of the stuff is true? I've found a number of errors in my visits there (Charlie O'Donnell and Charlie Tuna are the same person??).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

High Rollers question
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 10:23:24 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 09:49 PM\']

Most of the stuff is true? I've found a number of errors in my visits there (Charlie O'Donnell and Charlie Tuna are the same person??).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 IMDB also lists a 1985 syndicated version of Match Game, when in reality reruns of 1979-82 MG Syndie aired in some cities at the time. Let's not forget Randy AMasia's profile by the legendary Bo Bielefeldt.

Matt Ottinger

High Rollers question
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 10:15:43 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 10:49 PM\'] Most of the stuff is true? I've found a number of errors in my visits there (Charlie O'Donnell and Charlie Tuna are the same person??). [/quote]
<sigh>

How many errors have you found?  Six?  Twelve?  A hundred?  There are millions and millions of facts on the IMDB.  Not only is "Most of the stuff is true" an accurate statement, it's probably safe to say that more than 99% of it is true.

The guy saw a fact he wasn't sure about so he wisely came here to see if he could get it verified.  That is precisely what to do when you want to be sure about an IMDB piece of information.  I really don't see why it's necessary to bash this wonderful resource every time it's mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 10:19:35 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

High Rollers question
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 11:31:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 18 2004, 10:15 AM\'] The guy saw a fact he wasn't sure about so he wisely came here to see if he could get it verified.  That is precisely what to do when you want to be sure about an IMDB piece of information.  I really don't see why it's necessary to bash this wonderful resource every time it's mentioned. [/quote]
 Because they're a competitor.

Seriously, until a few years ago, IMDB was a user-supported database with limited editing capabilities, so mistakes are bound to occur.  Now that their traffic has hit a critical mass, they can finally afford staff to edit this stuff.  My employer and IMDB competitor, www.allmovie.com, despite the fact we focus only on movies available on video/DVD, have a full-time staff of seven whose only job is to find mistakes and correct them.

We get dozens of corrections a day (and hundreds on our music site) and each of those have to be researched before they are entered.  To echo Matt, cut IMDB (and other, more-superior B2B entertainment data delivery systems) some slack, there's a lot of data out there.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.