The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Game shows overdue for a remake

<< < (3/13) > >>

The Ol' Guy:
With High Rollers mentioned, I imagine some of you here have seen this Japanese knockoff. It could work within a GSN-style budget. I find it charming. Instead of constant dice rolls, contestants set up traps for each other. The correct answer to a toss-up question forces the opponent to pick one of the 9 squares on the board, hoping to avoid getting knocked out. Surviving contestant plays the original High Rollers "clear the numbers" board (1-9) with two of the 9 numbers putting the player at risk of losing everything if picked back-to-back. From what I've read, this lasted about four years in Japan. A reboot of this could bring back some of the excitement of High Rollers with a different twist. They call it "Super Dice Q."

Loogaroo:
The big problem with High Rollers as a format is figuring out a way to convince players to engage in the main mechanic of the show. Unfortunately there isn't much incentive to roll the dice on any given turn but a whole lot of disincentive.

Pacing is also a major consideration - even in the 1987 version, they struggled to fit a full match into one episode, and there were many instances of the time's-up bell ringing just before the Big Numbers could be played. I can only imagine how much less time is available to producers in a half-hour timeslot nowadays.

Building off Stackertosh's idea, I think Sale of the Century could work as a possible primetime reboot, but only with a major format overhaul. To wit, ditch the champion's journey up the ladder and instead have three new contestants each week. Offer a good-but-not-great cash prize to the night's winner ($50k, let's say) and then a much nicer cash prize ($500k, for example) if they can break a certain score threshold. Now, you take the prizes you would have offered in the shopping segment of the game, and you make those the Instant Bargains. Or, you do what they on PYL and offer personalized prizes as Bargains to really force the contestants to weigh their options between grabbing a sure thing now vs. trying to win the game and a significant cash prize vs. going for the brass ring.

SuperMatch93:

--- Quote from: Loogaroo on August 16, 2024, 11:28:29 AM ---Building off Stackertosh's idea, I think Sale of the Century could work as a possible primetime reboot, but only with a major format overhaul. To wit, ditch the champion's journey up the ladder and instead have three new contestants each week. Offer a good-but-not-great cash prize to the night's winner ($50k, let's say) and then a much nicer cash prize ($500k, for example) if they can break a certain score threshold. Now, you take the prizes you would have offered in the shopping segment of the game, and you make those the Instant Bargains. Or, you do what they on PYL and offer personalized prizes as Bargains to really force the contestants to weigh their options between grabbing a sure thing now vs. trying to win the game and a significant cash prize vs. going for the brass ring.

--- End quote ---

I like this. A lot.

Would this format have a bonus round as well, or would the game end after the Speed Round?

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: SuperMatch93 on August 16, 2024, 11:34:24 AM ---Would this format have a bonus round as well, or would the game end after the Speed Round?

--- End quote ---
I think it would be amusing to close the show immediately after the bell, the hosts says "everybody wins what they do, see you next time!"

Yes, I know that's not what you meant.

Loogaroo:

--- Quote from: SuperMatch93 on August 16, 2024, 11:34:24 AM ---Would this format have a bonus round as well, or would the game end after the Speed Round?

--- End quote ---

Any bonus round where a jackpot is on offer in the front game is going to feel tacked on. Might as well end it at its most logical point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version