The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Game shows overdue for a remake

<< < (9/13) > >>

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on September 01, 2024, 02:59:32 PM ---I think when Jim would whip out twenty Benjamins (my favorite president!) on someone's Lot Night it was weak sauce against the glass case of currency.

--- End quote ---
That's one place where the show messed up for me. Lot Night, for better or worse, was a straight-up Q&A game since the challengers knew they needed heroic performances and the champ wasn't going to buy two deck chairs with six figures on the line. If it were me, I would have automatically offered those bargains plus a cash reward of $1,000 per dollar of the sale cost.

Maybe you don't spend $17 on Tahiti, but if it came with a guaranteed $17,000 check? Now we're talking real temptation.

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on September 01, 2024, 04:07:05 PM ---I think you know what I meant.
--- End quote ---
JasonA1 is also correct--the truth is somewhere in the middle. Yes, there's lots of imported European furniture or a layette, crib and such, but I recall Curtis Warren snapped up a Radio Shack worth of stereo equipment in his two weeks and a day. So you never quite knew if the gift shop would have something you cared about.

Million Dollar Minute, for better or worse, stripped everything back. Every cash-or-points question was straight across. Pay some points to win some bucks. But cash is not free either. As weird as it is to see "Grilled Cheese for Life" or "A Thousand Balls!" on the big board, they're memorable things that will get someone talking. Even if those "x for 20 years" prizes are converted to money it is eye-catching. Sale of the Very New Century would do well to follow that path.

SamJ93:

--- Quote from: rebelwrest on September 01, 2024, 06:51:43 PM ---Serious question, did Jim know which IBs had $ale surprises?

--- End quote ---

If he did, his poker face whilst trying to tempt contestants to buy was damn good.

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: SamJ93 on September 02, 2024, 07:32:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: rebelwrest on September 01, 2024, 06:51:43 PM ---Serious question, did Jim know which IBs had $ale surprises?

--- End quote ---

If he did, his poker face whilst trying to tempt contestants to buy was damn good.

--- End quote ---
I don't think he was, hence the bell and him sometimes asking where the money was located.

Neumms:
The time is right for The Money Maze. Add a couple more zeroes after the all-important 1 and you’d have ratings gold.

Also Scrabble. I realize the CW premieres a version soon, but I suspect that will be much more like the crossword game I’ve played all my life. I wonder then, could Reg Grundy (or whoever) legally remount the basic game if they retitled it and scrubbed away the tiles and board from the front game?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version