Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows overdue for a remake  (Read 5596 times)

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Re: Game shows overdue for a remake
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2024, 08:26:00 PM »
The time is right for The Money Maze. Add a couple more zeroes after the all-important 1 and you’d have ratings gold.

Quite honestly, I can agree here. They could certainly do the show nowadays in a massive Hollywood soundstage, and maybe make the maze 33 to 50% larger to really justify those extra zeroes.

Now my question is.......is George available and willing?
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2024, 01:29:22 AM »
I am of the thought that a case can be made for Scrabble. What would make it easy is that they could easily resort to the self-contained format NBC went with from 1985 onward. And if time is tight, resort to a best-of-3 format instead of a best-of-5. Otherwise, the format can stay exactly the same, with bonus squares doubled from the original format ($1000 for blue squares, $2000 for pink squares - both upon immediate solves).

For the Bonus Sprint at the end, cash prize depends on format: for returning champions, $10,000 + $5000 for each day until hit (champions progression only), or a flat one-time $25000 prize for one-off champions ($2500 for winning the overall sprint playoff as consolation, if the $25K isn’t won).

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2024, 02:06:09 AM »
I am of the thought that a case can be made for Scrabble.

Especially if they call it Words with Friends.

Stackertosh

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2024, 09:19:27 AM »
Crazy idea I've always had to revive Line and Secret that is tough to execute apparently because rights are a mess:  The Panel Show.  Four celebrites, five games: lead with a round of TTTT, then Who's Who from WML, play a round of Line with one of the imposters, play IGAS with the other, then end with a mystery guest.  Revives Line and Secret in pieces.

That doesn't work?  Cross-Wits.

I like that idea, especially to fill an hour. I wasn't a fan of Anthony Anderson version of TTTT

Neumms

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2024, 03:05:33 PM »
if time is tight, resort to a best-of-3 format instead of a best-of-5.

I’d be tempted to do one sit-down game, the returning champ getting a bye into the sprint. Maybe then they could avoid going to Speed Word early.

I’d also like to see a longer bonus round. That or make it one dramatic final word and somehow draw tiles (or letters). The 10-second thing always felt rushed, especially for the high point of the show.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2024, 04:06:33 PM »
Based on my and others' machinations, if I were to do TV Scrabble, I'd replace the regular sprints with a head-to-head best-of-5 speedword (going from 5-9 letters). It shaves off about 2 minutes' of run time and is easier to manage logistically. Plus I find the drama factor to be on par if not better.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2024, 06:35:33 PM »
Based on my and others' machinations, if I were to do TV Scrabble, I'd replace the regular sprints with a head-to-head best-of-5 speedword (going from 5-9 letters). It shaves off about 2 minutes' of run time and is easier to manage logistically. Plus I find the drama factor to be on par if not better.

I think you would find, due to a need to take more risks when you are behind, that there would be more utterly anticlimactic situations than you would like, as the person up 2-Whatever gets to stand there and wait for the word to fill in after their opponent made an early desperation guess.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2024, 08:39:03 PM »
Anybody we know working on the Raven Scrabble revival?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2024, 11:20:09 PM »
I think you would find, due to a need to take more risks when you are behind, that there would be more utterly anticlimactic situations than you would like, as the person up 2-Whatever gets to stand there and wait for the word to fill in after their opponent made an early desperation guess.

Maybe the penalty for buzzing too early could one free letter and a free guess for the opponent. If he can’t answer, speed word resumes.

I’ve often thought it would be fun to see the sprint work like a chess clock, as on Grand Slam. Figuring out a wrong-answer penalty may be the fly in the ointment, though.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2024, 06:02:34 PM »
Figuring out a wrong-answer penalty may be the fly in the ointment, though.
They already had it, although I thought ten seconds was a bit stiff. So do the Whew! thing and run off five, and the audience can count along. At the end of the five the next two letters pop in and play continues.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2024, 09:32:58 PM »
They already had it, although I thought ten seconds was a bit stiff. So do the Whew! thing and run off five, and the audience can count along. At the end of the five the next two letters pop in and play continues.

I meant figuring out a fair penalty. I like yours better.