The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Worst scoring flaw?

<< < (3/16) > >>

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: Otm Shank on August 16, 2024, 01:49:13 PM ---I'm going to add Name That Tune/'80s with the 10/10/20/1 scoring system. It is possible for a contestant to name one tune in the all the front games of the episode and advance to the Golden Medley. If one contestant runs the table in the first two rounds, they have 20 points. In Bid-a-Note, that contestant gets boxed in on the auctioneering and winds up answering 3 tunes incorrectly. Now it's tied 20-20. Our slacker contestant finally rings in with "Zorba the Greek" or whatever oft-repeated tune and sends the other contestant browsing through the "lovely prizes offstage" with the host's warm sentiment "come back again sometime." Now, it never happened quite to that level, and I get that there was a desire to keep a trailing contestant in the game even if it was a runaway.

--- End quote ---

Which is to say, while I hated that the Golden Medley Showdown stopped the clock more often than the last two minutes of a basketball game, it made the scoring much more fair in that regard. In '84 you could have used that for Round 3, then made the bonus round the $10,000 Mystery Tune.

Also, creepy disco dancers aside, the 1978 revival is still the best NTT iteration.

Kevin Prather:
The fact that you had to lose twice in order to achieve the top prize on $20,000 Pyramid always rubbed me the wrong way.

BrandonFG:
You could answer a question correctly on Your Number's Up, then lock yourself out of the next riddle because that's just the way the wheel spins. I realize the same could happen on Wheel or PYL with a Bankrupt/LAT/Whammy, but you could also voluntarily stop on those shows.

It took a good five or six years, but the current run of Feud finally fixed the one-strike Triple round from the first several seasons. You could clean up as Jeremy said, then lose it all because the other family got hot at the right time.

Also, the Spoilers element of Merv Griffin's Crosswords was a clever concept but terribly broken, as you could fill in most of the puzzle only for someone else to steal a win at the last second after doing nothing for 10 minutes. Not to mention the bonus round never had a consistent number of blanks to fill. If it's my show to do, make the bonus round its own independent crossword and ditch the Spoilers.

TimK2003:
Wordplay had a very quirky scoring system, as I recall. The connecting dollar values for correct guesses, if applicable, was a different way to build one's score, but not knowing what the hidden values were before the reveal seemed like a crap shoot, especially in the later rounds.  They should have had a standard money amount for each of the 3 rounds (i.e. first round values are $100, second round $200, third round $300).
If tied after the 3rd round, Tom could give a toss-up double definition and the first to buzz-in correctly wins the game, with each player keeping their winnings.

It didn't seem like the dollar values for each word were based on a word's difficulty level, either.

BrandonFG:
Forgot about Wordplay, and to me it has the same issue as M.G.’s Crosswords: I could miss my first two words then clean up on my last guess because that word is linked to all the other money words.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version