The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Worst scoring flaw?

<< < (4/16) > >>

Eric Paddon:

--- Quote from: Kevin Prather on August 16, 2024, 02:29:10 PM ---The fact that you had to lose twice in order to achieve the top prize on $20,000 Pyramid always rubbed me the wrong way.

--- End quote ---

Not to mention the fact that the longer you stayed, you faced a situation where you were playing to just "round up" your winnings instead of getting $20,000 ADDED to your winnings up to that point.   All your bonuses and previous failed tries in effect meant you were devaluing the moment when you finally paid off.

JasonA1:

--- Quote from: TimK2003 on August 16, 2024, 03:45:42 PM ---Wordplay had a very quirky scoring system, as I recall. The connecting dollar values for correct guesses, if applicable, was a different way to build one's score, but not knowing what the hidden values were before the reveal seemed like a crap shoot, especially in the later rounds. 

--- End quote ---

Good a time as any to link to this Wordplay thread where Chris Holland broke down a couple dozen episodes and revealed the challenger had a huge advantage in getting to pick the last word of the main game.

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on August 16, 2024, 02:00:47 PM ---I hated that the Golden Medley Showdown stopped the clock more often than the last two minutes of a basketball game, it made the scoring much more fair in that regard. In '84 you could have used that for Round 3, then made the bonus round the $10,000 Mystery Tune.

Also, creepy disco dancers aside, the 1978 revival is still the best NTT iteration.

--- End quote ---

I saw what felt like far too many Golden Medley Showdowns where it's 10 to 2, but we still have another 10 tunes we can somehow play in 8 seconds. I wish they played to a goal with no countdown timer and/or declared whoever's ahead the winner after an unspoken segment time limit. But further, we already saw buzzing in to name tunes in Melody Roulette. So I'd have preferred Melody Roulette and Bid-a-Note be joined by any "both players write down titles simultaneously" game (like Sing-a-Tune) so the contestants got a chance to use different skills during the show.

-Jason

chrisholland03:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on August 16, 2024, 12:48:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ian Wallis on August 16, 2024, 12:43:41 PM ---Super Password's $100 puzzle is the first thing that comes to mind.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: SuperSweeper on August 16, 2024, 12:45:44 PM ---Body Language is what came to mind for me.

--- End quote ---

Y'know, I thought about both of these, Body Language specifically. But I argued against them if only because in both instances, it's paid practice until you get to the money that matters, which is still a very fair best 2 out of 3.

--- End quote ---

As a kid watching these were the two that immediately came to mind.  As an adult watching, I recognized what Jeremy did - it was paid practice.

Dbacksfan12:

--- Quote from: chrisholland03 on August 16, 2024, 05:07:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on August 16, 2024, 12:48:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ian Wallis on August 16, 2024, 12:43:41 PM ---Super Password's $100 puzzle is the first thing that comes to mind.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: SuperSweeper on August 16, 2024, 12:45:44 PM ---Body Language is what came to mind for me.

--- End quote ---

Y'know, I thought about both of these, Body Language specifically. But I argued against them if only because in both instances, it's paid practice until you get to the money that matters, which is still a very fair best 2 out of 3.

--- End quote ---

As a kid watching these were the two that immediately came to mind.  As an adult watching, I recognized what Jeremy did - it was paid practice.

--- End quote ---
The cynic in me says it’s a way to play the bonus round fewer times.

I’m a big fan of The Challengers, but not how they deducted money if someone went for it when all players selected the same category.

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on August 16, 2024, 05:51:40 PM ---I’m a big fan of The Challengers, but not how they deducted money if someone went for it when all players selected the same category.

--- End quote ---
Nah, that’s no different to me than a Daily Double. You’ve got full agency over which questions you play and in which order, and there has to be a risk/reward element whether you’re leading and trying to extend, or trailing and trying to catch up. Run up, get done up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version