The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Worst scoring flaw?

<< < (5/16) > >>

Mr. Matté:

--- Quote from: aaron sica on August 16, 2024, 12:20:43 PM ---DoorNumberFour's facebook post about the flawed scoring of NYSI74 got me thinking. Was that the worst scoring flaw in a game show? If not, what was?

--- End quote ---

Could you post a link or text of the post?

Re: Super Password, while the $100 is useless, as noted here it acts as a warmup for the new contestant(s). Itwas previously noted on this board that to get to the end game, the contestant has to win at least one puzzle in which they are giving the clues to the celeb.

Re:Body Language, that one is more flawed in that even though it is essentially 2 out of 3 wins, the tie breaker is the pantomimeless puzzle and is more greatly affected by who goes first since it starts with a blank slate and guessing the puzzle with only one blank filled is extremely hard (only the "Cookies" guess comes to mind with a one-clue solve). I guess it is similar to SP/P+ in that you might get the puzzle on a lucky one-clue guess, but there's still the element of having to play regular Password first.

One other thing related to Pyramid, not directly related to the scoring, is how you may play a perfect front game in the 80s version, but then are screwed out of a potential $5,000 (by winning the tiebreaker) because the other contestant misses one word. I wish it was something more like winning say one amount for getting the perfect score, and then maybe an additional bonus for winning the 21-21 tiebreaker .

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on August 16, 2024, 03:30:01 PM ---It took a good five or six years, but the current run of Feud finally fixed the one-strike Triple round from the first several seasons. You could clean up as Jeremy said, then lose it all because the other family got hot at the right time.
--- End quote ---
I thought the one-strike triple round was marvelous and tense. It just has to be part of a race to a goal, not "that's it, most points wins".

That Don Guy:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on August 16, 2024, 12:26:47 PM ---In terms of game balance, having the first two questions worth a point and the third worth twenty on The Cheap Show has to set the pace.

--- End quote ---

That's the first one that came to mind for me. Two others, although one was under very limited circumstances:

First, on the second season of $100,000 Name That Tune, the final of the tournament for the first season's Golden Medley winners that didn't already win $100,000 consisted of four rounds - IIRC, Melody Roulette for 10 points, Sing-A-Tune With Kathie Lee for 10 points, Bid-A-Note for 10 points and Golden Medley Showdown for 30. If the first two rounds were split, Bid-A-Note was just time filler.

Second, on You Deserve It, the tenth clue in a round was meaningless as the prize for that round would have to be reduced to zero in order to see it. I assume it was a carryover from a different rule in what I also assume was meant to be the first episode, where the contestant had to solve the puzzle correctly in order for the next round to be worth more.

aaron sica:

--- Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 16, 2024, 07:46:02 PM ---Could you post a link or text of the post?

--- End quote ---

Yep! Sure can.

--- Quote ---how did no one at G-T in the 70s realize that the way scores were calculated on Now You See It (line number + position) was wickedly unfair

--- End quote ---

JasonA1:
One way to rationalize it -- and I'm not saying this is what they thought, or it's even a GOOD reason -- is if you scan the board from left to right, starting in the upper left, the first thing you see is easy to find, so it's worth 2 points (line 1, position 1). But a 2-letter answer in the bottom right corner takes a lot of looking, so it's worth more.

In actual practice, your eyes dart around, so if that happened to be the intent, it didn't come across. I have a soft spot for the 1989 version.

-Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version