The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Worst scoring flaw?

<< < (7/16) > >>

Brian44:
Regarding $1 spinoffs in the TPIR Showcase Showdown: Some here may consider it a scoring flaw while others may consider it a generous consolation prize when contestant #1 spins $.05 or $.15, then contestant #2 spins a higher amount than #1 and advances to the Showcases but doesn't win any more bonus money.

My guess is that most would consider this scenario to be the latter.

TLEberle:
Years ago a now former friend posited that if you spin green and win green you should get priority over any other pocket change. I think it’s a fun irony and doubt that when the wheel was designed they imagined the budget expanding to give away extra cash like that.

SamJ93:

--- Quote from: Brian44 on August 18, 2024, 07:56:30 AM ---Regarding $1 spinoffs in the TPIR Showcase Showdown: Some here may consider it a scoring flaw while others may consider it a generous consolation prize when contestant #1 spins $.05 or $.15, then contestant #2 spins a higher amount than #1 and advances to the Showcases but doesn't win any more bonus money.

My guess is that most would consider this scenario to be the latter.

--- End quote ---

It definitely makes for an awkward moment when Bob/Drew has to tell the contestant "You won! But also...you lost," but considering it's a scenario that occurs maybe once per season--if even that frequently--I'm OK with it. Having to explain that the 5/15 spaces are actually worth more for just this one spin would probably be too confusing.

Ian Wallis:

--- Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 16, 2024, 07:46:02 PM ---One other thing related to Pyramid, not directly related to the scoring, is how you may play a perfect front game in the 80s version, but then are screwed out of a potential $5,000 (by winning the tiebreaker) because the other contestant misses one word. I wish it was something more like winning say one amount for getting the perfect score, and then maybe an additional bonus for winning the 21-21 tiebreaker .

--- End quote ---

Not really a scoring flaw, but I was never a fan of the $5000 bonus for a 21-21 tiebreaker - I just thought it was too much of a bonus, especially since the majority of Winner's Circle tries were for $10,000.

I think some other reward would have worked better, but if they were going to award cash, I'd be more comfortable with something like $2500.  Just IMHO.

GameShowFan:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on August 16, 2024, 07:10:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on August 16, 2024, 05:51:40 PM ---I’m a big fan of The Challengers, but not how they deducted money if someone went for it when all players selected the same category.

--- End quote ---
Nah, that’s no different to me than a Daily Double. You’ve got full agency over which questions you play and in which order, and there has to be a risk/reward element whether you’re leading and trying to extend, or trailing and trying to catch up. Run up, get done up.

--- End quote ---

I think the problem here is not ringing in and losing money on a miss. It’s going solo on a question and being forced to answer. It’s one thing to think you know and miss. It’s another when you have no clue but still lose money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version