The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Worst scoring flaw?

<< < (8/16) > >>

JasonA1:

--- Quote from: GameShowFan on August 19, 2024, 08:48:35 PM ---I think the problem here is not ringing in and losing money on a miss. It’s going solo on a question and being forced to answer. It’s one thing to think you know and miss. It’s another when you have no clue but still lose money.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I know the picking on The Challengers is analogous to what happens on Who, What or Where, but in that game, you can more or less avoid danger by betting so low you don't even get a question. And even if you do get to answer, the amount at stake is so low, the damage is minimized. I watched another new-to-me Challengers recently, and as I've seen before, the contestants were floundering with sub-$1,000 totals late into round 2. I wish that show had found its footing faster.

-Jason

Kevin Prather:

--- Quote from: Ian Wallis on August 19, 2024, 03:53:52 PM ---I think some other reward would have worked better, but if they were going to award cash, I'd be more comfortable with something like $2500.  Just IMHO.

--- End quote ---

$2100. It's right there. And Bob saves another $400.

Otm Shank:
It was weird that a player would miss out on the bonus over their opponent's quarter-second-late response or a fleeting illegal clue. If they carried forward the bonus for 21 (not for a tie) from the New York days, they could have even split that suggested value of $2,100 and give $1,050, which coincidentally is the amount of a completed Winner's Circle before augmenting. (Dick Clark checking the math on that: "3 ... 5 ... 750 ... 8 .... 9 ... 1050.")

But now, despite that neat symmetry, I'm going to have to cut that down. Unfortunately, $1,050 and a bonus for 7-11 is a weird mismatch. Secondly, by the time they reached L.A., the celebrity players were just too good to offer the bonus for just 21.

Clay Zambo:
Remind me again why we’re fussing about the 21-21 bonus? It is a bonus that doesn’t impact game score, and nobody is going to boot an answer just to screw their opponent out of a chance at the $5K, since doing so means they would *lose the game.* It’s a prize awarded to the winner of a tiebreaker ending a perfect game.

(And while we’re at it what was the scoring flaw in NYSI74 that started this whole thing?)

JasonA1:

--- Quote from: Clay Zambo on August 20, 2024, 11:15:48 PM ---(And while we’re at it what was the scoring flaw in NYSI74 that started this whole thing?)

--- End quote ---

This post.

-Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version