The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Worst scoring flaw?

<< < (9/16) > >>

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Clay Zambo on August 20, 2024, 11:15:48 PM ---Remind me again why we’re fussing about the 21-21 bonus? It is a bonus that doesn’t impact game score, and nobody is going to boot an answer just to screw their opponent out of a chance at the $5K, since doing so means they would *lose the game.* It’s a prize awarded to the winner of a tiebreaker ending a perfect game.

--- End quote ---
I think it just seemed like a lot to give away for a tiebreaker, given 1) how cheap Stewart was and 2) several shows still offered that as a bonus round prize in the mid-80s. I agree with the others that $2,100 would've been a more suitable fit.

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on August 20, 2024, 11:32:07 PM ---I think it just seemed like a lot to give away for a tiebreaker, given 1) how cheap Stewart was and 2) several shows still offered that as a bonus round prize in the mid-80s. I agree with the others that $2,100 would've been a more suitable fit.
--- End quote ---
I think it was 1984 when Pyramid instituted a car bonus for the tie-breaker win as a means to push teams to get to 21 as the players improved.

I was ok with the $5,000 because it's a bonus and not guaranteed, and it amps up the tension for the tiebreaker. There was also the possibility of someone winning ten grand the hard way.

I don't think it's cheap to fold in the ten thousand if someone summits the phyramid twice in a show especially since that $25k was the send-off point for a long time. Also: once $100k Pyramid took off and the syndication money rolled in (plus Jackpot and Canadian Reaction) I think StewartB had to feel like he was ok and could loosen the purse strings a bit. (Still doesn't explain or defend Repeat Discussion and their stupid main game bonus.

It isn't a flaw if you don't bag the cash in a 21-20 win. You get to play one of the three greatest end games in all of game show-dom and don't have to sweat through what can sort of be a random event in breaking the tie. Given how wiped I've felt after playing just the main game for $no dollars, I think I'd sacrifice the bonus cash for a pass to get to the winners circle.

Neumms:

--- Quote from: aaron sica on August 17, 2024, 08:13:24 AM ---The first one I ever spotted was HS86, during the first season. Each game was worth $500. If the same contestant won the first two games, the other contestant was basically screwed. They fixed this in season two with the third game being worth $1000.

--- End quote ---

On Bergeron's, the $4000 game is preposterous. Play for $2,000 just to get the loser some money. It's the Squares, not tense competition.

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: Neumms on August 22, 2024, 10:50:12 PM ---
On Bergeron's, the $4000 game is preposterous. Play for $2,000 just to get the loser some money. It's the Squares, not tense competition.

--- End quote ---
There was someone in the first year who rolled up fourteen grand, which seems overkill. At some point it becomes Homer pummeling the Krusty Burglar.

I think if you can swing it play a practice game for a grand then the rest at $2,000 each, plus the $500/square. That would work for Card Sharks too, and you do t have to worry about extra cash. Sound a sounder and that’s the final question. It’s not hard.

Neumms:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on August 21, 2024, 12:15:22 AM ---I don't think it's cheap to fold in the ten thousand if someone summits the phyramid twice in a show especially since that $25k was the send-off point for a long time. Also: once $100k Pyramid took off and the syndication money rolled in (plus Jackpot and Canadian Reaction) I think StewartB had to feel like he was ok and could loosen the purse strings a bit.

--- End quote ---

Or was it Michael Brockman and CBS who told him to loosen up? That version also had a significantly better set than Stewart's other shows. (Maybe the original Jackpot was close.)

Winners on the CBS $25K version did really well--with good Mystery 7 prizes, too--but augmenting winnings to $25K if you'd won the 10 always rubbed me wrong--if you already have 10, you're not playing for 25, you're playing for 15. ABC's $20K was even worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version