The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Worst scoring flaw?

<< < (10/16) > >>

Neumms:

--- Quote from: JasonA1 on August 16, 2024, 04:31:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: TimK2003 on August 16, 2024, 03:45:42 PM ---
Also, creepy disco dancers aside, the 1978 revival is still the best NTT iteration.

--- End quote ---

...joined by any "both players write down titles simultaneously" game (like Sing-a-Tune) so the contestants got a chance to use different skills during the show.

--- End quote ---

I liked the version with the $100,000 Mystery Tune way better. Well orchestrated, suspenseful, and it was all season long.

Everyone may disagree, but I've always been bugged that in Melody Roulette, the wheel didn't affect the score. I'd rather they tallied the money at the end as the score so the wheel means something for the game than best of five tunes with a shiny object. I liked Money Trees, too, even if it was tacky.

Writing the answers in Sing-a-Tune was awkward. Art Fleming showed you what his players wrote, but with Tom, you're taking his word for it. Maybe they could have built a wall a la Dotto, where we could see what they're writing without them seeing each other.

SuperMatch93:

--- Quote from: Neumms on August 22, 2024, 11:11:40 PM ---Maybe they could have built a wall a la Dotto, where we could see what they're writing without them seeing each other.

--- End quote ---

Or done it Second Chance style and had them place their pads in a slot in front of them, but still out of view of their opponent.

wdm1219inpenna:
While not so much a scoring flaw, Card Sharks 2001, one player could call all the cards correctly and make one miscall on the final card and the other player won by default.  Horrible!

Top Card's end game was anti-climactic if a player could not get to 21.  It always rubbed me wrong that the Ace was only worth 1 on that show.  Also rubbed me wrong that a player could get a question correct in the end game and for a Joker to turn up, thereby causing the player to lose.  Seemed downright sinister for a player to get a question correct in an end game only to lose!

Much as I preferred Password Plus over Super Password, SP got the end game right.  The "reducing the jackpot by 20% with an illegal clue" thing always seemed awkward to me on Password Plus. 

Also on Price is Right, the pricing game Money Game...a player can play it perfectly and win an automobile, but a player who makes 3 mistakes can still win the car PLUS extra money???  Should be one or the other, not both.  Seems wrong to reward more to a player who makes more mistakes in a game.

chrisholland03:

--- Quote from: wdm1219inpenna on August 24, 2024, 07:42:53 AM ---Also on Price is Right, the pricing game Money Game...a player can play it perfectly and win an automobile, but a player who makes 3 mistakes can still win the car PLUS extra money???  Should be one or the other, not both.  Seems wrong to reward more to a player who makes more mistakes in a game.

--- End quote ---

I understand your sentiment and agree in context of today's world.  There's an underlying strategy that you're missing, which had significance in the era the game was created. 

tyshaun1:

--- Quote from: wdm1219inpenna on August 24, 2024, 07:42:53 AM ---While not so much a scoring flaw, Card Sharks 2001, one player could call all the cards correctly and make one miscall on the final card and the other player won by default.  Horrible!

--- End quote ---
This reminded me of an episode of Hit Man I watched a while ago on YouTube. One of the challengers did not answer a single question correctly and still went on to the Triple Crown round.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version