Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst scoring flaw?  (Read 6352 times)

chrisholland03

Re: Worst scoring flaw?
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2024, 07:53:00 AM »
Also on Price is Right, the pricing game Money Game...a player can play it perfectly and win an automobile, but a player who makes 3 mistakes can still win the car PLUS extra money???  Should be one or the other, not both.  Seems wrong to reward more to a player who makes more mistakes in a game.

I understand your sentiment and agree in context of today's world.  There's an underlying strategy that you're missing, which had significance in the era the game was created.

I must be missing it too then--is the "strategy" to intentionally make wrong guesses if you already know the price?

Yeah, I feel like if you know the game and know the price of the car, a smart person can be rewarded by whiffing on three guesses and picking the highest amounts possible and then filling in the car. Of course, knowing the last two digits of a car’s price is difficult, but there was a period of time when they used stock cars with stock options. So, as long as they didn’t pull out a random luxury car, you’d have a good shot of memorizing it. Even today, they have many cars they like to use often while changing out trims and options, so if you remember the trim you’d probably have a good shot of knowing the first two digits.

I also don’t see the extra couple hundred bucks (while not nothing) as significant enough to feel slighted over anymore. Back when a couple hundred bucks could buy 15-20 tanks of gas compared to 3-4 now, maybe.

This.  The strategy carries the risk of - maybe you know the price of the car...and maybe you don't.  How confident and brave are you?  The side money lost its context with inflation.  In a context where the stakes are the equivalent of 1/10th the value of the car (1972), it carries a different meaning than one where it's 1/1000th (today).

Brian44

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2024, 08:58:27 AM »
Does that mean the name of the game, Money Game, is itself flawed? If I wasn't a LFaT and, even if a contestant I knew already mentioned winning a car playing Money Game, my inclination would be to ask how money they won in addition to the car and I'd be a little baffled if they told me they only won the car.

Before the PG names appeared on the props, didn't Bob often call it "the old front & back game"? (I do realize in later years he mentioned the old front & back trick with the way the numbers were placed on the board.)

beatlefreak84

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2024, 02:17:42 PM »
The 750 point round isn’t useless if you win it and the game as it becomes another $187 for each teammate.
Plus winning the 750 round gets you two shots at the bonus if your team won the 250 and 500 rounds.  It could conceivably be worth an extra $2687 per civilian player.
Yes, but we're specifically talking about the situation where the teams have split the 250 and 500 rounds.

The winning team got their score converted to money (so, a team who won with a score of 1500 won $1500), so that at least somewhat justified the "pointless" 750 round.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2024, 08:43:20 PM »
I've got another- Play the Percentages. I thought that getting a percentage on the nose was definitely worthy of a prize or a jackpot, but winning the game outright? At least make them answer the follow up question.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

chrisholland03

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2024, 09:11:03 PM »
I've got another- Play the Percentages. I thought that getting a percentage on the nose was definitely worthy of a prize or a jackpot, but winning the game outright? At least make them answer the follow up question.

Cosigned.  Using the same device, Card Sharks made the contestants play the cards before declaring them winner.

alfonzos

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2024, 09:28:07 PM »
Wordplay had a very quirky scoring system, as I recall.
I didn't like Wordplay's scoring either. It gave the advantage to the player who played second, fourth, and sixth. Simple solution: the player with the higher score plays in the third and fifth rounds.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2024, 05:50:15 PM »
didn't Bob often call it "the old front & back game"?

Rest assured that's not the only thing Bob called "the old front & back game."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2024, 01:11:37 PM »
I don't believe anyone mentioned High Rollers. On the original version, the players' fate was in the hands of Ruta Lee rolling the dice. I always thought the players should roll the dice themselves, at least in the "Big Numbers" round. This was rectified in the '78 version when the show returned without Ruta.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2024, 01:12:32 PM »
What does that have to do with scoring?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BillCullen1

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2024, 01:18:15 PM »
Depending on the dice, that affects a player's score.

clemon79

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2024, 01:47:13 PM »
Depending on the dice, that affects a player's score.

Unsurprisingly, you completely fail to understand the assignment, unless you're being willfully ignorant.

Family Secrets came immediately to my mind. The $500-to-one-side-or-the-other third-round question either a) made the first and second rounds completely superfluous or b) was pointless on its own because the game was a lock.

BrandonFG

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2024, 02:21:59 PM »
I don't believe anyone mentioned High Rollers. On the original version, the players' fate was in the hands of Ruta Lee rolling the dice.
Players still had the option to pass.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

CeleTheRef

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2024, 08:27:03 PM »
Pyramid in Italy had this wonderful rule: at the end of a round, if the score difference was 4 or more, score resets to 0-0.    ???

clemon79

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2024, 02:29:43 PM »
Pyramid in Italy had this wonderful rule: at the end of a round, if the score difference was 4 or more, score resets to 0-0.    ???

So did the situation ever come up where a player with a four point lead sat there for seventeen or twenty seconds in silence?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2024, 03:13:13 PM »
I want to make sure I’m reading correctly.  Each player player picks a category.  The score is 7-3.  The score are reset.

Did the better performing player receive any form of remuneration?
--Mark
Phil 4:13