Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Gatekeeper of “Great Host” Territory  (Read 1823 times)

Jeremy Nelson

The Gatekeeper of “Great Host” Territory
« on: August 18, 2024, 12:07:33 PM »
I know wrestling and game shows don’t always mix well here, but let me explain:

As of now, in the WWE, The Miz is a guy who most backstage consider to be the gatekeeper into the main event picture- that is, he’s so good at all aspects of the business that he’s the guy who you’re given a feud with so the company can really gauge if you’re capable of holding a major championship belt.

With that qualifier, who’s “The Miz of hosting” to when you’re comparing people, if they’re better than “that person” you consider them to be a top tier host?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SuperMatch93

Re: The Gatekeeper of “Great Host” Territory
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 01:24:24 PM »
In other words, who would the baseline of superior hosting abilities be?

I'd say Wink.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

beatlefreak84

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 01:28:24 PM »
My vote would be Eubanks; he's not the best in the business, but definitely could hold down the fort on shows he hosted and hosted a variety just like Wink.

Honorable mention:  Lange

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2024, 02:56:07 PM »
Geoff Edwards? Underrated host who could carry a silly show like Treasure Hunt but also had chops on more serious trivia or word games like Play the Percentages and Chain Reaction.

How about Trebek, but prior to about 1986 when people still saw him as the guy from High Rollers? Even before J! he showed he could do a hard trivia show like Double Dare, but was also personable enough to manage a light game that features human interest questions or surveys. I dunno if someone like Jim Lange could make the survey portion of Pitfall more interesting.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2024, 03:16:11 PM »
Pat Finn or Mark L. Wal berg. Could make a case for David Ruprecht being good with one format but didn’t really get a chance to expand beyond question reading grocer.
Travis L. Eberle

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2024, 08:53:27 PM »
How about Trebek, but prior to about 1986 when people still saw him as the guy from High Rollers? Even before J! he showed he could do a hard trivia show like Double Dare, but was also personable enough to manage a light game that features human interest questions or surveys.

Also, look at "Classic Concentration": I'd have to think Trebek had solidly become "The "Jeopardy!" Guy" by 1987, yet he was certainly in a lighter mood with CC.

I'd personally put Tom Kennedy into this camp. Just over the course of a few years he was dealt with "Split Second", "Name That Tune", and "Whew!" (not to mention at least one version of "You Don't Say", "50 Grand Slam", and I bet I forgot one). Then, he had to fill big shoes with P+, and did so admirably.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

danderson

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2024, 06:15:51 AM »
Tom really made "Name That Tune" then. I'll say he's ten times better than Jane Krakowski is. Even Jim Lange was better than her. If you watch both of their versions, you'll see why. I'll even take Dennis James over Jane Krakowski (simply because he was a legend too) and was more polished than she ever will be.

I'll say i enjoyed Pat Finn more on STYD, he made that show fun (not to mention his announcer, who happened to be a good host in his own right, Mark L. Walberg.) I'll say David Ruprecht was outstanding on Supermarket Sweep too (he really made that show work, IMHO, Leslie Jones wasn't as good as David was.)

SuperMatch93

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2024, 06:31:14 AM »
If you watch both of their versions, you'll see why. I'll even take Dennis James over Jane Krakowski (simply because he was a legend too) and was more polished than she ever will be.

Now that you mention him, I'd actually pick Dennis to answer Jeremy's question. From what I've seen of him he definitely fulfills the role of solid all-around broadcaster given the variety of shows (game and otherwise) that he did in television's infancy.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2024, 10:14:33 AM »
I go with Tom Kennedy as well.  He worked with both civilians and celebrities, definitely played a good traffic cop (sometimes a little too good -- reminding players to "wait 'til he's finished" on at least 3 different shows).  He could read questions quicker than most.  He could also bring seriousness or a jovial mood to a show.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2024, 01:39:23 PM »
...definitely played a good traffic cop (sometimes a little too good -- reminding players to "wait 'til he's finished" on at least 3 different shows).
If you gotta wait for a prompt before your next choice is honored, that's him trying to save you a couple seconds. Felt like nobody listened to him on Wordplay, where their bonus round structure was "Expert Level Gold Run" and every second mattered so much.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2024, 01:42:13 PM »
To answer my own question, I think it's Bob Goen. He was so easy at making his shows look easy and/or palatable that anybody who I think is worse is definitely B tier, and just about every host I think is better is an all-timer.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2024, 01:46:03 PM »
Speaking of Bob, after watching the Blackout and Hollywood Teasers pilots, I'd also add Robb Weller. On the game show side, I would like to have seen him become known for more than being Bert Convy's replacement.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2024, 02:31:39 AM »
I go with Tom Kennedy as well.  He worked with both civilians and celebrities…could also bring seriousness or a jovial mood to a show.

Tom fits the idea perfectly. There are hosts I like better but not too many, and almost all stuck to one style or one show, period.

Jim Lange is not among them. I’ve always wanted to like him because he was from Minnesota, but he brought nothing to a show other than his nice voice. Pat Finn the same thing only younger.

Bob Goen was more than capable but I’d say a bit bland—Kennedy had more presence.

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2024, 10:43:35 AM »
I gotta go with Kennedy, with Martindale close behind. Give these guys a concept, explain the rules and they will go out and execute them to near perfection.

I always thought Lange was a decent but not spectacular emcee, similar to Jack Barry. Even his version of NTT lasted only one season.

Just thinking, did Martindale ever host a game show with celebs? Can't think of any off hand.
EDIT - just thought of Can You Top This?"

Mike Tennant

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2024, 12:53:12 PM »
Just thinking, did Martindale ever host a game show with celebs? Can't think of any off hand.
EDIT - just thought of Can You Top This?"
Also What's This Song?