The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Gatekeeper of “Great Host” Territory

(1/4) > >>

Jeremy Nelson:
I know wrestling and game shows don’t always mix well here, but let me explain:

As of now, in the WWE, The Miz is a guy who most backstage consider to be the gatekeeper into the main event picture- that is, he’s so good at all aspects of the business that he’s the guy who you’re given a feud with so the company can really gauge if you’re capable of holding a major championship belt.

With that qualifier, who’s “The Miz of hosting” to when you’re comparing people, if they’re better than “that person” you consider them to be a top tier host?

SuperMatch93:
In other words, who would the baseline of superior hosting abilities be?

I'd say Wink.

beatlefreak84:
My vote would be Eubanks; he's not the best in the business, but definitely could hold down the fort on shows he hosted and hosted a variety just like Wink.

Honorable mention:  Lange

Anthony

BrandonFG:
Geoff Edwards? Underrated host who could carry a silly show like Treasure Hunt but also had chops on more serious trivia or word games like Play the Percentages and Chain Reaction.

How about Trebek, but prior to about 1986 when people still saw him as the guy from High Rollers? Even before J! he showed he could do a hard trivia show like Double Dare, but was also personable enough to manage a light game that features human interest questions or surveys. I dunno if someone like Jim Lange could make the survey portion of Pitfall more interesting.

TLEberle:
Pat Finn or Mark L. Wal berg. Could make a case for David Ruprecht being good with one format but didn’t really get a chance to expand beyond question reading grocer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version