The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Gatekeeper of “Great Host” Territory

<< < (3/4) > >>

Jeremy Nelson:
To answer my own question, I think it's Bob Goen. He was so easy at making his shows look easy and/or palatable that anybody who I think is worse is definitely B tier, and just about every host I think is better is an all-timer.

BrandonFG:
Speaking of Bob, after watching the Blackout and Hollywood Teasers pilots, I'd also add Robb Weller. On the game show side, I would like to have seen him become known for more than being Bert Convy's replacement.

Neumms:

--- Quote from: TimK2003 on August 19, 2024, 10:14:33 AM ---I go with Tom Kennedy as well.  He worked with both civilians and celebrities…could also bring seriousness or a jovial mood to a show.

--- End quote ---

Tom fits the idea perfectly. There are hosts I like better but not too many, and almost all stuck to one style or one show, period.

Jim Lange is not among them. I’ve always wanted to like him because he was from Minnesota, but he brought nothing to a show other than his nice voice. Pat Finn the same thing only younger.

Bob Goen was more than capable but I’d say a bit bland—Kennedy had more presence.

BillCullen1:
I gotta go with Kennedy, with Martindale close behind. Give these guys a concept, explain the rules and they will go out and execute them to near perfection.

I always thought Lange was a decent but not spectacular emcee, similar to Jack Barry. Even his version of NTT lasted only one season.

Just thinking, did Martindale ever host a game show with celebs? Can't think of any off hand.
EDIT - just thought of Can You Top This?"

Mike Tennant:

--- Quote from: BillCullen1 on August 27, 2024, 10:43:35 AM ---Just thinking, did Martindale ever host a game show with celebs? Can't think of any off hand.
EDIT - just thought of Can You Top This?"

--- End quote ---
Also What's This Song?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version