Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Reporter interview with "The Luckiest Man..." film director  (Read 1283 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: Hollywood Reporter interview with "The Luckiest Man..." film director
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2024, 05:32:41 PM »
So all of us who tried to predict what role Johnny Knoxville would play were...very, very wrong.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tyshaun1

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2024, 05:40:17 PM »
So all of us who tried to predict what role Johnny Knoxville would play were...very, very wrong.
Well, he DOES play a host...

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2024, 08:06:07 PM »
I'm going to see the movie no matter what, but that is a distractingly awful title.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2024, 08:16:35 PM »
I'm going to see the movie no matter what, but that is a distractingly awful title.
I don't know who came up with it (you could argue that it falls down at two hurdles) but I already know the story and will wait for it to hit streaming.

I had no idea who the lead actor was and was befuddled until I saw a picture in one of the stories linked here, golly it is uncanny how close Paul is to Michael looks-wise (yes I know there is makeup, effects and whatnot.)
Travis L. Eberle

Bob Zager

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2024, 12:44:08 PM »
In this review of the movie, appearing in Variety, it opens with the mention that a clip of the actual episode accompanies the end credits.

https://variety.com/2024/film/reviews/the-luckiest-man-in-america-review-1236132963/

vtown7

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024, 08:21:52 PM »
Right then.
I just got out of a screening of this movie at TIFF. It’s… decent.
I think where it falls down for me is that I know a bit too much, and I had suspected that’s where it be challenging for most of us.
I’ll keep the spoilers to a minimum but as they take dramatic license with the story they’ve taken dramatic license with the game play. For example - no second question round. I’ll leave it at that - if you want more, well, you best go see the film.
The set is well done. They haven’t licensed the theme. The board sound (to my ears) was spot on and my original guess of Dean Goss playing Rod Roddy’s voice was clearly off. 
Byl Carruthers’ son consulted on the film but that’s the only connection I could see game show industry wise. No mention of Fremantle or CBS anywhere in the credits.
Happy to answer questions without giving massive things away. The director did answer some questions at the end as best he could.
Also mods: I feel like this is okay here but if not I’m happy to move it over.
R.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2024, 11:15:35 PM »
I don't know who came up with it

terrible movie title, but it's also the title of a 2017 Spanish-language graphic novel about Michael Larson
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

SamJ93

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2024, 11:19:32 PM »
...and my original guess of Dean Goss playing Rod Roddy’s voice was clearly off. 

Was it perhaps an uncredited Frank Caliendo? He did a pretty convincing impression of Rod on MadTV back in the '00s.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

vtown7

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2024, 06:30:52 AM »
...and my original guess of Dean Goss playing Rod Roddy’s voice was clearly off. 

Was it perhaps an uncredited Frank Caliendo? He did a pretty convincing impression of Rod on MadTV back in the '00s.

They did list someone in the credits but it wasn't him.  I didn't recognize the name so it really didn't stick with me unfortunately.
R.