Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Of The Theme Songs That Spanned Multiple Shows...  (Read 1279 times)

TimK2003

Of The Theme Songs That Spanned Multiple Shows...
« on: September 14, 2024, 09:08:42 PM »
As most know, there are theme songs that became the themes to at least two different shows.  Many were recycled themes for multiple Bob Stewart shows.

Out of those recycled themes, which show did the theme best fit?

For example, for the theme used on both Trebek's Double Dare and Perry's Card Sharks, the theme worked better on the latter show.

As much as I love the "Jet Set" theme, I think that one better fit This Week In Baseball moreso than the original Jackpot!.

For the Supertrain/Chain Reaction theme, I think that Bob Cobert composition was better suited for the Cullen Chain and not the NBC disaster train.

Others?

Jimmy Owen

Re: Of The Theme Songs That Spanned Multiple Shows...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2024, 09:17:24 PM »
Personality and 3oaM. I remember it best from 3.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2024, 09:41:52 PM »
The theme for Double Talk sounded outdated by 1986, and was much better suited for Blankety Blanks 11 years prior.

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2024, 10:05:04 PM »
Technically not multiple shows, but multiple iterations of the same series: the Feud '88 theme does not suit the aesthetic of anything post Combs set.
That piece used on The Riddlers and multiple other pilots was perfect for the Game Show Bloopers specials.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2024, 10:46:10 PM »
[T]he Feud '88 theme does not suit the aesthetic of anything post Combs set.
The biggest problem I have with the current version using the old theme is that they use the same "Dah-dah-dah-dahhhh-dah!" fanfare for just about everything. You have a full library of cues, from the banjos - which they redid for the Celebrity version, go figure - the actual host intro that was used on Dawson and Combs's versions, Faceoff cues, an actual win cue, etc.

At this point, if you're gonna go retro why not borrow from the 94 package? It's somewhat dated but at least it fits the modern look of the show.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

steveleb

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2024, 04:26:36 AM »
If you’re counting the many Basada pilots, Come On Down was more of a disconnect for Caught In The Act than it was on PtB.  Right up there with the 50 Chinese Dinners and the 6 months phone bill paid “special” prizes.

Loogaroo

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2024, 03:19:31 PM »
The biggest problem I have with the current version using the old theme is that they use the same "Dah-dah-dah-dahhhh-dah!" fanfare for just about everything. You have a full library of cues, from the banjos - which they redid for the Celebrity version, go figure - the actual host intro that was used on Dawson and Combs's versions, Faceoff cues, an actual win cue, etc.

Even more obnoxious, they actually had a modern music package that had that sort of variety and was starting to evolve all the way through the John O'Hurley season to something that was actually pretty good, but then reverted back to the anachronistic '88 theme when Steve Harvey took over as host.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2024, 10:48:41 AM »
Even more obnoxious, they actually had a modern music package that had that sort of variety and was starting to evolve all the way through the John O'Hurley season to something that was actually pretty good, but then reverted back to the anachronistic '88 theme when Steve Harvey took over as host.

The thing I've noticed about it is they keep looping the same :30 of the theme over and over and you never hear any more of it.  The whole piece is almost 2 minutes but they're reluctant to let much of it play.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SamJ93

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2024, 11:54:47 AM »
The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour theme is one of my all-time favorites, but it felt a little too bombastic for that show--that's probably why it felt much more at home as a car/Super Ball cue on TPiR.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2024, 03:37:59 PM »
Going back to the Jackpot well, this time for the theme used in the Canadian and later versions, it fit better there than it did on the Shoot For The Stars show years earlier.

Sam mentioned the MGHS theme used as a music cue on TPIR:

As far as recycling short music cues from show to show, the last few seconds of the original Family Feud Theme was a better cue for the Grand Game intro on TPIR than it was as the "team sweep" cue on Trivia Trap.  I think a repeating bell SFX would have sufficed on the latter.

chrisholland03

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2024, 04:29:05 PM »

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2024, 04:59:57 PM »
Awesome find!!!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2024, 06:02:19 PM »
Going back to the Jackpot well, this time for the theme used in the Canadian and later versions, it fit better there than it did on the Shoot For The Stars show years earlier.

Facts, and you pretty much wrote exactly what I was *this* close to writing yesterday. It was dated by the mid-late 80s, but it *worked*.

/and it worked just as well on the "Twisters" pilot
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2024, 08:14:01 PM »
The fact that the Family Feud theme was being used as a car cue on Price is Right in the early 80s was an odd choice. It's not like Family Feud was a forgettable show, it was literally the number one game show on television at the time.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2024, 11:12:27 AM »
The fact that the Family Feud theme was being used as a car cue on Price is Right in the early 80s was an odd choice.

And it *still* makes me go "Huh?" every time I hear one of the CONCENTRATION cues used as prize music on TPiR, and vice-versa. "Splendido, I love you, but stay in your lane!"
czambo@mac.com