The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

A 5-Episode Game Show Sampler

<< < (3/5) > >>

Dbacksfan12:
The "You Fool" inclusion on a couple lists is surprising; IIRC, there was very little gameplay on that episode. 

My list...
*Any episode of The $100,000 Pyramid from '86-'88.
*An episode of Remote Control with Adam Sandler in it
*An episode of Supermarket Sweep, probably from the most recent PAX run.  Buying groceries is relatable.
*Family Feud, specifically the Combs run.  I think Dawson's antics would be a turnoff to many.
*An episode of Card Sharks hosted by Jim Perry with an exciting Money Cards run.  Tons of playalong that sucks you in.

I concur with Jeremy that trivia can be intimidating...or may make someone "feel stupid", so I excluded anything that would be considered a "hard quiz".  Additionally, I excluded anything notable from the last 20 years or so.  Even if they've never given game shows a chance, they've likely heard about Ken Jennings, etc.

Without hijacking this thread--in the future, I'd like to do a "second level" of this--exposing someone who likes mainstream shows to shows slightly more obscure.  This is an exercise I've actually done with a friend.  Great exercise, Jason!

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on September 18, 2024, 11:17:22 PM ---The "You Fool" inclusion on a couple lists is surprising; IIRC, there was very little gameplay on that episode. 

--- End quote ---
For me, this falls in the category of “the humor makes up for the lack of show”. Squares was never meant to be a super content heavy show in the first place, and I’d actually argue that it only looks like there’s less gameplay because they never make it out of the first round. They end up asking just about as many questions as any standard episode from that era.

Winkfan:
Read these choices and weep.....

1.) The Big Falldown--I mean, Showdown! (1974)
2.) Gambit from 1974 with The Livingstons
3.) Card Sharks from 1978 where Norma Brown "shoots the works."
4.) The original Password from right after Betty married Allen.
5.) Thom McKee's defeat on Tic Tac Dough

Cordially,
Tammy

aaron sica:

--- Quote from: BillCullen1 on September 18, 2024, 08:17:05 PM ---TPIR - an episode between 1980 - 85 with Barker, his beauties and Johnny O where all six pricing games are won. I feel this is when the show was in its prime.

--- End quote ---

The important question here - did Barker keep the game moving?

SuperMatch93:
This thread is honestly super helpful, since I've been exposing my girlfriend to many different game shows over the years with varying degrees of success.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that shows that are on the drier side (even stuff we wouldn't consider dry necessarily) have gone over like a lead balloon. Although she likes Moore TTTT, for instance, she couldn't stand What's My Line when I showed it to her. Conversely, although we were both into Countdown for a while, she really doesn't like British shows. I even showed her a mid-80s Krypton Factor once and she was bored out of her mind by the final round.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version