Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A 5-Episode Game Show Sampler  (Read 899 times)

aaron sica

Re: A 5-Episode Game Show Sampler
« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:54:35 AM »
This thread is honestly super helpful, since I've been exposing my girlfriend to many different game shows over the years with varying degrees of success.

I did the same thing with my girlfriend (now my wife), and one of the critiques I remember from her was when I showed her Child's Play. Have you ever showed your girlfriend that? My S.O. didn't like it because she thought it moved too slow (a valid point).

SuperMatch93

« Reply #16 on: Today at 08:58:57 AM »
This thread is honestly super helpful, since I've been exposing my girlfriend to many different game shows over the years with varying degrees of success.

I did the same thing with my girlfriend (now my wife), and one of the critiques I remember from her was when I showed her Child's Play. Have you ever showed your girlfriend that? My S.O. didn't like it because she thought it moved too slow (a valid point).

I showed it to her once and she thought it was hilarious, but I remember her not wanting to watch it again afterwards. I don't remember whether pacing was the issue.
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:00:45 AM »

This might need to become a new thread, but I did the same by showing my lady The New Treasure Hunt. She thought it was funny, but a little mean-spirited.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: Today at 09:03:54 AM »
This might need to become a new thread, but I did the same by showing my lady The New Treasure Hunt. She thought it was funny, but a little mean-spirited.

Good idea. I'll spin it off.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #19 on: Today at 02:02:51 PM »
I did this with a friend of mine, who is a big fan of 1980's and 90's Nostalgia:

• Sale of the Century: Primarily the lot wins from the first Syndicated Season - just from the simplicity of selling stuff that none of us (in the mid-2020s) would ever need. Tony's episodes might work here too.
  • Match Game PM: It was my gateway to the series when I watched GSN for the first time (c. 1999). I would choose any of the first three seasons with Brett, Charles, and Richard (nod to BillCullen1)
  • Wheel of Fortune: Any shopping episode with Chuck or Syndie episodes featuring a Jackpot win.
  • $25,000 Pyramid: Getting anyone going and playing along is simple enough.
  • Press Your Luck: Some say the Larson episodes, I say any episode with a Spin Battle.

Brakus

« Reply #20 on: Today at 04:01:55 PM »
Sure, why not...

Match Game PM: Specifically the "Burns and Cuts" episode with Avery Schreiber, Joan Collins, and Brett/Charles/Richard/Patty.

$100,000 Pyramid: The first tournament win (which ended with THINGS THAT ARE WARPED). The entire first half of that episode is pure adrenaline.

Wheel of Fortune: Any episode from the first 2 syndicated seasons (83/84) where the $5000 space is hit and someone cashes in on it. Heck, you could probably show the ones where the contestant racks up tens of thousands of dollars and then either goofs on a mis-called letter (80% of THE THRILL OF VICTORY AND THE AGONY OF DEFEAT is revealed and she calls for an S) or a mis-solve (on THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM).

Password: The B&W episode with Alan King and Carol Burnett. As freewheeling as the current version is today, even with lower stakes.

Card Sharks: I'd show some of the earliest episodes, just to show how simple and fun the game can be, and right before it turned into a 3.5-year run on NBC. Lois from early on, who had rotten luck at the Money Cards on her first go, is a good example.
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)