The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Barry Joker's Wild Mystery Category ?

<< < (5/5)

Joe Mello:

--- Quote from: Adam Nedeff on September 22, 2024, 03:14:48 AM ---The non-Mystery Category categories had FOURTEEN questions apiece. [...] Terry's departure from the company actually coincided with the arrival of the Mystery Category and before the introduction of Fast Forward, but I'm presuming the regular categories continued to have 14.
--- End quote ---
Now I'm wondering if the reason they came up with 7 questions was because the values would be doubled, so they thought they'd only need half the material.

rjaguar3:

--- Quote from: Joe Mello on September 23, 2024, 12:47:50 PM ---Now I'm wondering if the reason they came up with 7 questions was because the values would be doubled, so they thought they'd only need half the material.

--- End quote ---

I suspect more for aesthetics than any other reason (too cumbersome to display any more questions at the host lectern). Also the available numbers need to be clearly visible to the contestants (or there needs to be a supplemental off-stage indicator like the one for Academic Challenge I describe below).

Although Academic Challenge in Cleveland had ten packets displayed in two rows on the host lectern. A behind-the-scenes video also showed the off-camera lightboard with the packet numbers available lit up. In 1981 (when the video was filmed) they had gone from three packet rounds per team to two, so packets 8, 9, and 10 were unavailable (but the envelopes were still on the host lectern).

TimK2003:

--- Quote from: Joe Mello on September 23, 2024, 12:47:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: Adam Nedeff on September 22, 2024, 03:14:48 AM ---The non-Mystery Category categories had FOURTEEN questions apiece. [...] Terry's departure from the company actually coincided with the arrival of the Mystery Category and before the introduction of Fast Forward, but I'm presuming the regular categories continued to have 14.
--- End quote ---
Now I'm wondering if the reason they came up with 7 questions was because the values would be doubled, so they thought they'd only need half the material.

--- End quote ---

Depending on how a contestant reaches the Mystery Category on their spin, there is anywhere between $700 and $2800 TOTAL up for grabs within a single game (7x $100 to 7x $400).

Assuming a match yields nothing but Mystery spin choices, the average value for using all seven questions is $1400, so you really need some really dumb contestants and/or some unusually difficult questions to not come up with a $500+ champ before exhausting all seven questions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version