Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Showing our shows to friends/significant others who aren't fans....  (Read 758 times)

joelvanderveen

My wife has never been a big fan of game shows, apart from watching TPiR on sick days like every kid in the 90s and 2000s did. But she often watches along with me, both first-run shows (WoF and Jeopardy! mostly) and the classics we find on YouTube and streaming channels.

I've gone through phases where I discovered an older show I'd never really seen before — in particular Whew!, once the Buzzr reruns showed up on YouTube, and Scrabble, from all those episodes Chad Mosher posted. She'll usually watch along and we both get a kick out of Scrabble, both from the play-along factor and Chuck's running commentary on the clues and writing.

She does not care for Let's Make A Deal (too over the top), The Newlywed Game (too awkward) or Hollywood Squares (the humour seems too laboured and it often doesn't land, an assessment I agree with). She'll happily watch Concentration, some of the panel shows, and also any show with an actor from WKRP in Cincinnati as a celebrity guest.

Finally, if I ever had any reason to doubt that she truly gets me (or at least tolerates my obsessions), here's the birthday card she made me a few years ago. (If you don't recognize the reference, imagine this card as a giant video wall that opens and closes, with Nedra Volz scurrying across the stage in front of it, and you'll get it.)   

« Last Edit: Today at 12:16:28 PM by joelvanderveen »