Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would it work on radio too?  (Read 82 times)

carlisle96

Would it work on radio too?
« on: Today at 01:22:41 PM »
As long as I'm on a roll with questions, gang, here's another one: what TV game show would also have worked as a radio show? I don't mean shows that started on radio like Groucho's or had brief radio versions like What's My Line or $64,000 Question. I think Password and You Don't Say would have been a good radio games. Jeopardy could also be adapted to purely an audio version too. Child's Play perhaps?

steveleb

Re: Would it work on radio too?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:54:23 PM »
Indeed, Jeopardy has existed as an audio-only entity, via its J6 game which Amazon Alexa used to offer as a subscription service.  It essentially took the unused clues from actual recent categories.

And believe it or not, Wheel of Fortune was actually attempted as a radio game from the prolific mind of Mark Richards, aka Alex Trebek's "best friend", who hosted a drive time "radio game show" for XTRA 690 out of San Diego in the late 80s.  He actually instructed players who phoned in to write down the blanks in the puzzle and number them.  One shudders to think if car phones were more prevalent at the time how many accidents he might have caused.

Casey

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:35:03 PM »
Match Game would work pretty well on radio - particularly the original version.  I think the 70s version would work also.  Sure, we wouldn't see Jim Nabors and Carol Burnett stroll in or Gene climb the audience, but most of the time you could easily follow the game. 

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:40:34 PM »
Indeed, Jeopardy has existed as an audio-only entity, via its J6 game which Amazon Alexa used to offer as a subscription service.

Only in the sense that you had to add the "skill" to your Alexa account. It's always been free to my recollection, not even tied to Prime or anything.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:49:24 PM »
Indeed, Jeopardy has existed as an audio-only entity, via its J6 game which Amazon Alexa used to offer as a subscription service.

That still exists. J! also has 24/7 stations on Tunein, where they had Buzzy Cohen host audio-only play-in games for the Champions Wildcard earlier this year.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck