The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Would it work on radio too?

<< < (6/7) > >>

carlisle96:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on September 25, 2024, 10:54:21 AM ---Part of the allure of Password and Pyramid is that the home audience is let in on the secret to be divined. (Does the in-house crowd know/can they see it from a monitor?)

--- End quote ---

One major attraction of Pyramid, especially the 70s and 80s versions, was the tension in the winner's circle when you could see the frustration by the celebrity groping for clues or whose clues aren't getting through to the contestant. That would be completely lost on radio

The Ol' Guy:
I'm doing research as I type this, but as an elementary school student, I have a memory of hearing both Password and Linkletter's House Party on radio. WKZO Kalamazoo was a major affiliate. CBS ran edited versions of the TV audio. Wikipedia has House Party listed as airing on CBS radio from 1950 to 1967, and this would be right about 1964. Anyone else have info on this?

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: steveleb on September 24, 2024, 01:54:23 PM ---And believe it or not, Wheel of Fortune was actually attempted as a radio game from the prolific mind of Mark Richards, aka Alex Trebek's "best friend", who hosted a drive time "radio game show" for XTRA 690 out of San Diego in the late 80s.  He actually instructed players who phoned in to write down the blanks in the puzzle and number them.  One shudders to think if car phones were more prevalent at the time how many accidents he might have caused.

--- End quote ---

I don't think he was a prolific mind as much as a dude trying to hitch his wagon to anything he could in the 1980s.

Sale of the Century is actually a solid audio-only experience, but a lot of that has to do with Jim Perry doing superb play by play, as an episode from Australia's heyday doesn't ring the same.

SuperMatch93:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on September 26, 2024, 10:17:35 PM ---Sale of the Century is actually a solid audio-only experience, but a lot of that has to do with Jim Perry doing superb play by play, as an episode from Australia's heyday doesn't ring the same.

--- End quote ---

Even though Jack Kelly didn't have the same hosting chops as Jim, the few audio-only episodes of OG Sale that have turned up are very fun listens as well (especially with that big 8H audience).

Blanquepage:
Going way off the board here, but I think Oh My Word / Take My Word For It could be a fun comedic radio game. The 3 co-hosts invite a celebrity to play for charity for $X per correct definition. Insert fun banter between words...maybe on NPR?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version