Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would it work on radio too?  (Read 1205 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: Would it work on radio too?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2024, 10:01:02 AM »
One could argue Pyramid would work.

One would be wrong.

As I recall on one special episode they played with two blind contestants for an entire episode.

Watching blind people play the game is not the same thing as listening to the show on the radio.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2024, 10:54:21 AM »
BBC Radio (and NPR) laid the template. Slow and steady quiz questions, host reads out the score at the round break. I think Double Dare '76 is about as much complication as an audio only format could absorb--Millionaire is a could, but part of the excitement is lost in not seeing the reactions.

Part of the allure of Password and Pyramid is that the home audience is let in on the secret to be divined. (Does the in-house crowd know/can they see it from a monitor?)
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2024, 12:28:49 PM »
Part of the allure of Password and Pyramid is that the home audience is let in on the secret to be divined. (Does the in-house crowd know/can they see it from a monitor?)

"Cover your ears please, the announcer is giving the password to the radio audience."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2024, 12:35:06 PM »

"Cover your ears please, the announcer is giving the password to the radio audience."

And I think this is Matt's point to why Pyramid would be a phrenetic disaster. In addition to the rapid-fire clues being given, an announcer has to jump in with the answer each time.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2024, 01:37:24 PM »

And I think this is Matt's point to why Pyramid would be a phrenetic disaster. In addition to the rapid-fire clues being given, an announcer has to jump in with the answer each time.
I was actually on BC1’s side and figured that at the very least the Winner’s Circle could work. But I couldn’t figure out what would be missing and you all just explained it: they might be looking for THINGS IN YOUR POCKET, but without the visual it could just as easily be THINGS IN A PURSE or THINGS IN A DESK and you gotta take the DJ’s word for it that Pocket is the keyword they want.

EDIT: formatting
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 03:15:40 PM by BrandonFG »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2024, 11:07:50 PM »
I think of the games that were created in the age of Color TV onward, the one that would work best might be Pass The Buck. There's not a lot of information that needs to be conveyed at any one time (the main game pot doesn't really matter in the grand scheme) and the game doesn't rely on visuals to get its point across.
This signature is currently under construction.

Neumms

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2024, 02:18:12 AM »
On KFAN, the sports station in Minneapolis, one show has Password every Friday. Station personalities form the pairs. The clue receivers are asked to turn their headsets off when the game host (the producer) says in properly hushed voice, “the password is….” It really works well.

The Joker’s Wild would work on radio.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2024, 02:54:37 AM »
The Joker’s Wild would work on radio.

Yes, because there's nothing quite as exciting as listening to a game that's centered on spinning a slot machine that you can't see.

colonial

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2024, 08:17:11 AM »
Traveling through the Philadelphia area back in the day, I could catch the audio of WPVI on 87.7 FM as the station was classified as channel 6, as it was common to get signals from channel 6 on commercial radios on said frequency.

I heard 2-3 episodes of Ken Jennings's initial J! run on the radio through the WPVI audio signal. To be honest, I thought it was easy to follow and a nice way to play along.

JD

aaron sica

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2024, 08:28:32 AM »
Traveling through the Philadelphia area back in the day, I could catch the audio of WPVI on 87.7 FM as the station was classified as channel 6, as it was common to get signals from channel 6 on commercial radios on said frequency.

I believe that some of those stations (WPVI included) advertised this fact, as people could listen to the news.

carlisle96

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2024, 12:25:23 PM »

One major attraction of Pyramid, especially the 70s and 80s versions, was the tension in the winner's circle when you could see the frustration by the celebrity groping for clues or whose clues aren't getting through to the contestant. That would be completely lost on radio
« Last Edit: September 26, 2024, 03:07:04 PM by JasonA1 »

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2024, 10:13:04 PM »
I'm doing research as I type this, but as an elementary school student, I have a memory of hearing both Password and Linkletter's House Party on radio. WKZO Kalamazoo was a major affiliate. CBS ran edited versions of the TV audio. Wikipedia has House Party listed as airing on CBS radio from 1950 to 1967, and this would be right about 1964. Anyone else have info on this?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2024, 10:17:35 PM »
And believe it or not, Wheel of Fortune was actually attempted as a radio game from the prolific mind of Mark Richards, aka Alex Trebek's "best friend", who hosted a drive time "radio game show" for XTRA 690 out of San Diego in the late 80s.  He actually instructed players who phoned in to write down the blanks in the puzzle and number them.  One shudders to think if car phones were more prevalent at the time how many accidents he might have caused.

I don't think he was a prolific mind as much as a dude trying to hitch his wagon to anything he could in the 1980s.

Sale of the Century is actually a solid audio-only experience, but a lot of that has to do with Jim Perry doing superb play by play, as an episode from Australia's heyday doesn't ring the same.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #28 on: Today at 12:10:59 AM »
Sale of the Century is actually a solid audio-only experience, but a lot of that has to do with Jim Perry doing superb play by play, as an episode from Australia's heyday doesn't ring the same.

Even though Jack Kelly didn't have the same hosting chops as Jim, the few audio-only episodes of OG Sale that have turned up are very fun listens as well (especially with that big 8H audience).
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #29 on: Today at 12:27:34 AM »
Going way off the board here, but I think Oh My Word / Take My Word For It could be a fun comedic radio game. The 3 co-hosts invite a celebrity to play for charity for $X per correct definition. Insert fun banter between words...maybe on NPR?  ;D
https://www.patreon.com/BlanquePage - A building library of game show music remixes you never thought you'd need to hear ^_-
www.youtube.com/blanquepage - Youtube channel of fun game show stuff