Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Longest Surviving Main Theme Songs...  (Read 461 times)

TimK2003

Longest Surviving Main Theme Songs...
« on: September 25, 2024, 05:05:57 PM »
A recent conversation amongst friends brought this interesting question.

Among the longer-running game shows (including multiple versions and gaps between versions ), what are the 5-10 oldest themes that have more or less kept the same melody in continuity?

First thought was Jeopardy!, but you could only count the years since Trebek started the show.  The familiar theme was only used as the Final Jeopardy think music in the 1st Fleming version.

Pyramid was another possibility, but Donnymid broke the streak.

Price is Right could only go back to Barker's start, but it seems like that theme melody is the oldest lasting continuous theme -- different arrangements but still the same melody throughout.

Supermarket Sweep is another possible Top 5 contender even if you only count David Ruprecht's versuins.

What would also be themes that have remained more or less intact the longest?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 05:23:27 PM by TimK2003 »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: Longest Surviving Main Theme Songs...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2024, 05:29:06 PM »
Ya know, I see Jeopardy a little differently. The melody appeared before it became the actual main theme...but since the melody IS the heart of the theme, it's essentially the same.
And that'll be my profound truth of the day  :P
To the point of your question though, the original WML end theme was used for the whole 17 years, so I'd say that's another.
Kaplan's "Happy Wheel" tune stuck around for...16 years, was it?
https://www.patreon.com/BlanquePage - A building library of game show music remixes you never thought you'd need to hear ^_-
www.youtube.com/blanquepage - Youtube channel of fun game show stuff

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2024, 05:37:43 PM »
Marshall's Hollywood Squares switched to the more familiar theme song in its second or third season, and mostly kept the same melody with a disco-based update in the late-70s. That's what, about 13 years?

Same for LMaD. Dunno if it was used from Day One in 1963 but I found a 1968 episode with the theme, which was updated over the years up to the Canadian version. The Brady version's used that theme for at least a decade, so I dunno where that ranks on the all-time list.

Dating/Newlywed Game had at least a good 20-something year run between the 70s and 80s versions and updates. The 1996 reboots used a different - but almost reminiscent - theme before using a new version of the classic themes.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2024, 10:27:20 PM »
The Match Game 90 theme was just an updated version of the 70s theme, so unless you're counting MGHSH as an interrupter, that's one theme that went for almost twenty years straight.

WhammyPower

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2024, 10:51:36 PM »
Weakest Link's had the same melody between its two runs.

/If you call four notes a melody.

EDIT: Oh, Now You See It could absolutely count towards this (if you bar the brief period where they used the alternate theme.)

//Thanks, Quincy.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:00:55 AM »
Same for LMaD. Dunno if it was used from Day One in 1963 but I found a 1968 episode with the theme, which was updated over the years up to the Canadian version. The Brady version's used that theme for at least a decade, so I dunno where that ranks on the all-time list.

The 1984 theme actually begins with a brief call-out to the old theme, before it all goes its own direction. I could say the same for the Canadian theme as well.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

DYosua

« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:12:01 AM »
If we include foreign shows, UK Countdown has been using the same melody for almost 42 consecutive years, with only a couple reorchestrations during that time.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:25:43 AM »

The 1984 theme actually begins with a brief call-out to the old theme, before it all goes its own direction. I could say the same for the Canadian theme as well.
How it took me this many years to figure that out, I’ll never know but now I can’t unhear the melody. Those opening notes always reminded me of the Lorimar-Telepictures jingle.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

carlisle96

« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:28:28 PM »
The syndicated To Tell the Truth...an instrumental version was used for the 1990 NBC run

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:02:01 PM »
The syndicated To Tell the Truth...an instrumental version was used for the 1990 NBC run

However  Robin Ward's version of TTTT put a wedge between the Moore/Garagiola and Elliott/Swann/Trebek versions.

Seems like there was an unwritten rule that nearly all 1980's reboots had to use different music.