Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite Homemade Game Show Softwares  (Read 158 times)

rebelwrest

Favorite Homemade Game Show Softwares
« on: Today at 03:59:44 PM »
I think my first download was Curt King's Press Your Luck, and I played that for hours and hours and hours.  Even though his website is long gone, you can go to the Wayback Machine and still download the game.  I did and it still works.

We all have been downloading these programs for over 25 years, so what have been some of your favorites?

By the way, here is the link to download Curt King's PYL: https://web.archive.org/web/20040325010319/http://crossbearer.com/

\Any of you remember Net Poker
\\The Joker's Wild that can only be accessed through the command center
\\\That text based Wheel of Fortune
\\\\Blockbusters that was played on 5X5 grid
\\\\\The many, many, many versions of Lingo
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

jcs290

Re: Favorite Homemade Game Show Softwares
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:05:54 PM »
Curt’s PYL remains the GOAT to me. It’s pretty amazing that his version was faithful to the original, included sound effects and sound bites from the show, and it was better than any commercial release to date.

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:19:17 PM »
I forget who put it together, but there was a computer version of Super Password that was pretty good, complete with sound bites from the show.  Even the puzzles were about as tough as the ones on the show. 

I also believe there was a way you could add your own puzzles to the mix as well.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:27:30 PM »
Jay Lewis made a text-based version of TPiR that I spent a lot of time playing.

I agree that Curt’s game is the gold standard.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SamJ93

« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:14:41 PM »
Most of the FLASHgames recreations, especially Tic Tac Dough, Scrabble and Caesars Challenge were top-notch and highly addictive. They were still playable on archive.org for a while, but sadly no longer seem to be.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:24:42 PM »
One of the best things about Curt King's game was that it was easily customizable. You could switch out the sounds and (I think) board graphics with your own.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:18:30 PM »
I forget who put it together, but there was a computer version of Super Password that was pretty good, complete with sound bites from the show.  Even the puzzles were about as tough as the ones on the show. 

I also believe there was a way you could add your own puzzles to the mix as well.
Yep, he was the same person who released Classic Concentration and Blockbusters, among others. IIRC he received a C&D pretty early on, which was a shame because those were strong efforts he put out.

Honestly, Bigjon was another big deal for me. The games he released were pre-Ludia, and that was a pretty barren time for official home versions of games. There were times where i wished he would have put more effort behind 2 or 3 games rather than releasing 20, but i appreciated the effort.

There was also a really good Scrabble Sprint game executed in DOS years ago. It had show-faithful graphics and was probably released somewhere around 2000.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:26:14 PM »

Yep, he was the same person who released Classic Concentration and Blockbusters, among others. IIRC he received a C&D pretty early on, which was a shame because those were strong efforts he put out.

As I recall, his response to the C&D was to tattle on a bunch of other similar game creators, which cost him quite a bit of favor.

Honestly, Bigjon was another big deal for me. The games he released were pre-Ludia, and that was a pretty barren time for official home versions of games. There were times where i wished he would have put more effort behind 2 or 3 games rather than releasing 20, but i appreciated the effort.

I too was a loyal player of BigJon's games, maybe at the expense of a computer. His Price is Right game in particular was very impressive.

tpirfan28

« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:57:55 PM »
There was also a really good Scrabble Sprint game executed in DOS years ago. It had show-faithful graphics and was probably released somewhere around 2000.

I guess this makes me a packrat. (Run the shortcut - I bundled in DOSBox)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"