Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show elements repurposed (kinda sorta)  (Read 413 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game show elements repurposed (kinda sorta)
« on: October 18, 2024, 03:54:36 PM »
I don’t know if I ever mentioned this before, but every weekday my local classic rock station, WAXQ, does something called the 3 at 3. It’s basically a second round or third round question from Face the Music, where they play three songs and you have to figure out what the connection between the three is. (I wanna say the titles are usually the clues, but sometimes the subject matter is too.)

Since I’m certain this isn’t just a New York metro thing, I ask do any of your local stations do something similar? Or do they have their own games that repurpose elements of games from the past?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Game show elements repurposed (kinda sorta)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2024, 04:18:34 PM »
KNDD 107.7 would play Beat the Producer while Ben's Money was popular-ten questions in sixty seconds.

101.5 straight ripped off Millionaire but squeezed the cash mountain down to six questions with a top prize of a thousand dollars.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

beatlefreak84

Re: Game show elements repurposed (kinda sorta)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2024, 04:34:38 PM »
In Chicago, our classic rock station (97.1 WDRV) does two games that are clearly inspired by game shows:

7 in 30:  Basically the "Golden Medley" but with classic rock songs; only difference is songs can't be passed, and wrong guesses are allowed (song keeps playing until a right answer is given).  If someone gets all 7, they win a prize, but, if they don't (fairly common), they offer the prize to a standard call-in contest winner.

Match 1:  Call-in person is asked five questions; if any of their answers match what a random prerecorded person on the street answered, they win a small prize (no bonus for matching more than 1); usually, one question is pretty much a guaranteed match so I've never heard this game being lost.  (Clearly based on Match Game; they even use Johnny O's "Get ready to match" to introduce it)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™