Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And here's the bell ending the Big Sweep  (Read 4487 times)

ChuckNet

And here's the bell ending the Big Sweep
« on: March 20, 2004, 12:19:57 AM »
Supermarket Sweep has apparently aired its last ep tonight, after a 4-yr run on PAX...all scheds I've seen confirm that a second airing of syndie WL will move into the 6 PM time slot next Mon (3/22).

Farewell, SS...it's been a good run, especially considering how PAX has been falling apart these last few yrs, and that's something to be proud of.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 07:30:04 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 20 2004, 12:19 AM\'] Supermarket Sweep has apparently aired its last ep tonight, after a 4-yr run on PAX...all scheds I've seen confirm that a second airing of syndie WL will move into the 6 PM time slot next Mon (3/22).

Farewell, SS...it's been a good run, especially considering how PAX has been falling apart these last few yrs, and that's something to be proud of.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Good for George Gray, but bad for Randy W. Randy W. won't be getting his wedge of cheese residual for the reruns anymore, darn :) PAX was supposed to premiere a quasi-game show, Speed Dating, sometime this month, though their website doesn't list it. I still think PAX picked the wrong show to renew when they chose STYD(seeing Zantac and Little Debbie logos on the player's podiums is in poor taste to me)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 08:47:37 AM »
Even the new-look GSN (echo: "gsn!") would be wise to consider this pick-up. Sweep seems to have a remarkably large fanbase among the non-gameshowgeeks. One might say it's the PYL of the 2000s in that regard.
@lambertman

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 12:16:29 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 20 2004, 07:30 AM\'] I still think PAX picked the wrong show to renew when they chose STYD(seeing Zantac and Little Debbie logos on the player's podiums is in poor taste to me) [/quote]
 No big deal. It's no different than the cigarette companies putting their logos on the B&W panel shows.  If you want an advertising pet peeve, look at SportsCenter's product placement for every feature on the show.

ObGameShow: SC anchor Kenny Mayne hosted "2-Minute Drill."
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 07:34:12 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 20 2004, 12:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 20 2004, 07:30 AM\'] I still think PAX picked the wrong show to renew when they chose STYD(seeing Zantac and Little Debbie logos on the player's podiums is in poor taste to me) [/quote]
No big deal. It's no different than the cigarette companies putting their logos on the B&W panel shows.  If you want an advertising pet peeve, look at SportsCenter's product placement for every feature on the show.

ObGameShow: SC anchor Kenny Mayne hosted "2-Minute Drill." [/quote]
 My minor issue with STYD this season, besides the stunts being changed to less-than-exciting Q&A rounds is JD's mentioning of items in the store at the top of the show that will NEVER be given away as prizes. I suspect the companies involved call that a fee plug.

brianhenke

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 06:41:16 PM »
Incidentally, NBC last week signed an agreement with Pax to develop original programming (looks like the Pax/NBC problems have been ironed out)...assuming that Pax remains on the air of course...

Hopefully, Pax will air original game shows and other programming in the daytime under this agreement (anyone sick of seeing "Paid Programming" in the daypart?), get some original prime time shows that people will admit watching (you can't air Diagnosis Murder forever, you know) or else they'll join DuMont in the scrapheap of TV network history.

Brian

Little Bo Peep lost her virginity?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 07:08:07 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Mar 21 2004, 06:41 PM\'] Incidentally, NBC last week signed an agreement with Pax to develop original programming (looks like the Pax/NBC problems have been ironed out)...assuming that Pax remains on the air of course...

Hopefully, Pax will air original game shows and other programming in the daytime under this agreement (anyone sick of seeing "Paid Programming" in the daypart?), get some original prime time shows that people will admit watching (you can't air Diagnosis Murder forever, you know) or else they'll join DuMont in the scrapheap of TV network history.

Brian

Little Bo Peep lost her virginity?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions! [/quote]
 If this NBC/Pax deal does lead to more original programming, 'twould be a nice time to revive Concentration. It's a big IF I know, but....

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 03:05:05 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Mar 21 2004, 04:41 PM\'] Hopefully, Pax will air original game shows and other programming in the daytime under this agreement (anyone sick of seeing "Paid Programming" in the daypart?), [/quote]
 I dunno about you, but my TV has lots and lots of other channels coming into it. When one of them is showing "Paid Programming", I simply change it.

(Unless it's one of those ads for one of those hand blenders. I want one of those.) :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 03:16:01 AM »
(Unless it's one of those ads for one of those hand blenders. I want one of those.) :)

C'mon, Chris, admit it.  You just like to see people say the words "Thunderstick Mixer" with a straight face.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 03:28:40 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 01:16 AM\'] C'mon, Chris, admit it.  You just like to see people say the words "Thunderstick Mixer" with a straight face. [/quote]
 Actually, it's the idea of people actually wanting to drink InstantCoffeeFoam (tm) that tickles me. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 10:30:27 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 03:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 01:16 AM\'] C'mon, Chris, admit it.  You just like to see people say the words "Thunderstick Mixer" with a straight face. [/quote]
Actually, it's the idea of people actually wanting to drink InstantCoffeeFoam (tm) that tickles me. :) [/quote]
 I saw these Roomba(tm) robot vacuum cleaners in an informercial once.  My mom actually broke down and bought one.

tvrandywest

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 11:57:42 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 07:30 AM\'] I saw these Roomba(tm) robot vacuum cleaners in an informercial once.  My mom actually broke down and bought one. [/quote]
 Just think how many more would sell if they featured Michael Buffer on the infomercial intoning "Leeeeeeet's get ready to Roomba!!!". Or how about simply showing his wife bending over to empty one!!!

Latest: NBC is now saying that PAX grossly overstated the network's involvement in PAX's future programming.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 02:41:42 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 11:57 AM\']Latest: NBC is now saying that PAX grossly overstated the network's involvement in PAX's future programming.[/quote]
Bud Paxson should stop this whole charade, find someone to dump the network and stations on, take the money and find something else where he can sucker people.

With our luck, though, the purchaser would be Clear Channel.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 05:12:01 PM »
I say, by all means, if PAX decides not to air Sweep anymore, send Sweep back to Lifetime, where it all began (STYD began there, too).

bandit_bobby

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 06:34:41 PM »
I would've sent STYD back to 6 PM, and then back-to-back episodes of Weakest Link.