Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting on Wheel and other shows  (Read 2244 times)

BrentW

Getting on Wheel and other shows
« on: March 18, 2004, 08:01:15 PM »
OK, so I'm posting this because I'm going out to L.A. in a few months, and I'm still astonished at the luck of some people at getting on some of these shows, like Todd Kim who was lucky enough to get the freaking call for Super Millionaire three damn months after he was on Jeopardy! (which aired tonight...I won't comment on how he did in this topic).  And Jason Block got on Millionaire and Wheel (which I am reading about now, and it seems hard to get on Wheel)...

So here it is:  I've already done TPiR a few years back, but that's the only thing I've done.  I really know (like many people on this board actually) that is I could just get in to the audition for Wheel, I'd totally make it on (I've taken their practice tests and smoke them each time).  I know what gameshows are looking for, like most of us do.

It seems so hard to get on Wheel -- I've registered on their site and hope they call me when they come to my area, but you never know.  I know they hold auditions there in L.A., but it says you have to send a postcard if you are going to be in L.A. and they'll call you (maybe).  Is there any other way to get into an audition at Wheel?  I'm going to be in L.A. in June.  

And frankly, since I am typing this, are there any OTHER shows out in L.A. that I could audition for?  Anything at all..any new network shows coming on..any shows looking for contestants.  Any advice is GREATLY GREATLY appreciated (plus I am sure others could use the advice).  

I always think I was born in thr wrong generation; if I had been an adult in the 80's when tons of gameshows were on in the mornings...MAN, I would have went to town.  :)

Really looking for some help on what shows to try and get on -- like I said, I will be in L.A. in June.   And don't be mean -- if you can't help, don't reply.  I just want to pointed in the right direction.  :)

Lots of love for all my gameshows buds!
-Brent

thgames65

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 08:08:28 PM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' date=\'Mar 18 2004, 08:01 PM\']
And frankly, since I am typing this, are there any OTHER shows out in L.A. that I could audition for?  Anything at all..any new network shows coming on..any shows looking for contestants.  Any advice is GREATLY GREATLY appreciated (plus I am sure others could use the advice). 
[/quote]
If reality show casting interests you at all, check http://losangeles.craigslist.org/tfr/.  Current castings mentioned include GSN's Extreme Dodgeball and a number of dating/makeover shows.

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 08:17:09 PM »
A good way to start is to find a Border's or comparable book store or magazine shop that carries (or can get you) newspapers from major cities around the country.

Get a copy of a Sunday LA Times.  In the Classifieds section, there is a heading for shows that are looking for contestants and the like.  Most will have a number to call to either set up an audition time or to get more information on how to become a contestant.

Probably wouldn't hurt to get a Times now, and again a few weeks before you go.  Last I checked at Borders, a Sunday Times would cost around $5.00 a pop -- not a bad investment for a shot at much more in cash & prizes.

Best of Luck!

adamjk

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 08:30:26 PM »
What about Family Feud?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 09:11:53 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Mar 18 2004, 06:30 PM\'] What about Family Feud? [/quote]
 That would require, you know, having a FAMILY WITH YOU.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 09:50:30 PM »
Well, I would assume he will be taking some family members out to LA with him.

BrentW

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 10:09:08 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Mar 18 2004, 09:50 PM\'] Well, I would assume he will be taking some family members out to LA with him. [/quote]
 *smile*  That would be a "no."  :)   I'm going out to L.A. to visit a friend, and we are going to hit the West Hollywood bars to see how many boys I can nail.  

Just a little different that bringing my family. LOL

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 12:45:54 AM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' date=\'Mar 18 2004, 08:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Mar 18 2004, 09:50 PM\'] Well, I would assume he will be taking some family members out to LA with him. [/quote]
*smile*  That would be a "no."  :)   I'm going out to L.A. to visit a friend, and we are going to hit the West Hollywood bars to see how many boys I can nail.  

Just a little different that bringing my family. LOL [/quote]
 Well, wear a condom, or you might bring home some "consolation gifts" you weren't expecting to receive... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrentW

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 03:26:23 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 19 2004, 12:45 AM\'] Well, wear a condom, or you might bring home some "consolation gifts" you weren't expecting to receive... :) [/quote]
 OK, now this is getting off topic, so let's move back ON topic, but I will say this:

ARE YOU KIDDING?  I always always always have safety first, ESPECIALLY in freaking West Hollywood..."Holy STD's, Batman!"  Unlike many folks in the younger gay community, I am very aware that AIDS is still very much a deadly disease, even if some of my peers have forgotten about it.  

-Brent

NOW HOW DO I GET ON WHEEL???????????????????????  :)

scully24

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 09:13:54 PM »
I always found that the direct approach worked best.  When I found a show I wanted to be on, I'd take note of the production company, call information, call the production company, ask the receptionist for the number of the contestant department, call the contestant department, and ask if they're holding auditions.  If they are, you may get an appt right away; if they're not you'll at least get the scoop on when they may resume.

People treat these shows like they're impenetrable fortresses; actually they're just businesses with phone lines like everybody else, and if they happen to be auditioning, they won't take offense to a straightforward query, as long as you're businesslike and professional..

trainman

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 10:51:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Mar 18 2004, 05:17 PM\'] Probably wouldn't hurt to get a Times now, and again a few weeks before you go. Last I checked at Borders, a Sunday Times would cost around $5.00 a pop -- not a bad investment for a shot at much more in cash & prizes. [/quote]
 Well, since I get home delivery, and it's easy enough to check...

There were no contestant ads in last Sunday's L.A. Times.  In the past, I've also seen them on other days of the week, but there weren't any ads in today's (Friday's) L.A. Times, either.

(No, I don't check the contestant ads every day...I sometimes do the Jumble, which is usually on page 3 of the classified section, and the contestant ads are on page 2 when they have them.)
trainman is a man of trains