Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So This is Goodbye: $ale on it's way out  (Read 5899 times)

zachhoran

So This is Goodbye: $ale on it's way out
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 10:28:08 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 10:23 AM\']
I guess this does bring up the question, "What constitutes a replacement?"  I'm of the mindset that since SCRABBLE was already on the air that it didn't replace $otC (in other words, $otC wasn't cancelled to make room for SCRABBLE).  

A perfect example would be when Perry CS got cancelled.  P+ was moved to the death slot and BATTLESTARS took P+'s old time slot.  Isn't it more accurate to say that BATTLESTARS replaced CS on NBC's schedule because CS was cancelled to make room for it?  

I realize it's all semantics, but anyone else have any ideas?

Doug [/quote]
 I couldn't say it better than you did. Whew! replaced MG79 and Win Lose or Draw replaced Wordplay by the same logic, even though time shuffling was also done when W! and WLOD debuted

HYHYBT

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 09:30:06 AM »
Why do (or did) so many shows continue running contestant plugs when they know they're ending and presumably don't need any more contestants?

(I had no idea Win, Lose, or Draw replaced Wordplay. Either my mental timeline is all screwed up, or Wordplay isn't the show I thought it was (sort of like To Tell the Truth but with definitions instead of odd people))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 09:36:10 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

zachhoran

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 09:36:10 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 09:30 AM\'] Win, Loce, or Draw replaced Wordplay? I may be thinking of something else entirely, but wasn't Wordplay or around 1989 or 90? [/quote]
 Wordplay aired 12/29/86-9/4/87 on NBC, Daytime WLOD aired 9/7/87-9/1/89 on NBC. The Last Word, however, did air in Syndication from 9/18/89-1/5/90.

HYHYBT

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 09:39:48 AM »
Sorry about that, I tried to rewrite my post, but you'd already responded to the original. Thanks, and the "call quick" question still stands :)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 10:52:04 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 09:30 AM\'] Why do (or did) so many shows continue running contestant plugs when they know they're ending and presumably don't need any more contestants?

[/quote]
 Maybe they needed to pad out the show and didn't want Jim to tell any more jokes into commercial?  I'm thinking Grundy could shift those applicants who did not get on $ale to Scrabble.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 11:02:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 10:52 AM\'] [quote name=\'HYHYBT\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 09:30 AM\'] Why do (or did) so many shows continue running contestant plugs when they know they're ending and presumably don't need any more contestants?

[/quote]
Maybe they needed to pad out the show and didn't want Jim to tell any more jokes into commercial?  I'm thinking Grundy could shift those applicants who did not get on $ale to Scrabble. [/quote]
 There was a precedent for producers putting contestants on one show when they tried out for another. As was reported on Usenet several years back, Heatter-Quigley reportedly put some contestants on Squares who tried for High Rollers or Magnificent Marble Machine, or vice versa. Though in the case of Scrabble, they did contestant searches and had a written test with clues and words like on the show which a player had to pass to become a contestant, as well as a mock game a player had to do well on. I assume $otC had a written Q&A test and mock game as part of their audition process as well(though probably on the difficulty level of the J! written tests)

gamed121683

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 05:24:12 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 21 2004, 05:14 PM\'] I had found out through a blurb in USA TODAY.  In fact, initially USA TODAY had published that both $otC and SCRABBLE would be cancelled, then they ran the retraction indicating that it would be SP getting the heave-ho (either that, or NBC had a change in heart and spared SCRABBLE--then released that info to USA TODAY).
 [/quote]
 Well, I remembered reading in an old "Broadcasting" magazine from 1989 that "Super Password" was canned due to sagging ratings and "Scrabble" survived the Holuacast becuase the ratings were still respectively good and and that it was renewed in about 90% of the country (not just becuase "$ale" got the axe). Can anyone back me up on this?, this is straight from memory.

uncamark

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 04:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 05:24 PM\'][Well, I remembered reading in an old "Broadcasting" magazine from 1989 that "Super Password" was canned due to sagging ratings and "Scrabble" survived the Holuacast becuase the ratings were still respectively good and and that it was renewed in about 90% of the country (not just becuase "$ale" got the axe). [/quote]
Accuse me be being oversensitive or politically correct, but it seems to me that our Jewish friends on this board would not particularly appreciate the word "holocaust" being used to describe game show cancellations--particularly capitalized.

That's all.

gamed121683

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 04:58:03 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 04:27 PM\'] Accuse me be being oversensitive or politically correct, but it seems to me that our Jewish friends on this board would not particularly appreciate the word "holocaust" being used to describe game show cancellations--particularly capitalized.
 [/quote]
 Let me make a retraction. I meant no offensive to our Jewish friends for using the word "holocaust" in that sense. I meant the word to describe the game show cancellation in question, yes, but no historic reference was trying to be made. So to those who found it offensive, I do take it back and I strongly apoligize. I am sorry.

I now return you to game show posts already in progress.

Mark McNeil

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 07:07:07 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 21 2004, 09:50 PM\']
As you had stated, $otC was replaced with Scrabble. SP was replaced with nothing, giving the 12:00 slot back to its affiliates (making NBC the second network of the "big three" to do so....CBS was the first, three years earlier, in 1986). [/quote]

Actually, if I remember correctly, ABC gave the 4:00 PM time slot back to its affiliates when "The Edge Of Night" went off the air at the end of 1984.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 07:22:35 PM by Mark McNeil »

zachhoran

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 07:24:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Mark McNeil\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 07:07 PM\']

Actually, if I remember correctly, ABC gave the 4:00 PM time slot back to its affiliates when "The Edge Of Night" went off the air at the end of 1984. [/quote]
 For the ever decreasing number of ABC stations that were airing Edge by 1984, that is correct. That move coincided with WABC picking up Trebek J! and airing it at 4PM(it moved to 7PM two years later on that station). Prior to this, J! got off to a less-than-stellar start in NYC airing at 1:30AM on WNBC(2:30AM on Friday night/Saturday AM)

zachhoran

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 07:30:14 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 04:27 PM\'] [quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 05:24 PM\'][Well, I remembered reading in an old "Broadcasting" magazine from 1989 that "Super Password" was canned due to sagging ratings and "Scrabble" survived the Holuacast becuase the ratings were still respectively good and and that it was renewed in about 90% of the country (not just becuase "$ale" got the axe). [/quote]
Accuse me be being oversensitive or politically correct, but it seems to me that our Jewish friends on this board would not particularly appreciate the word "holocaust" being used to describe game show cancellations--particularly capitalized.

That's all. [/quote]
 I recall a similar debate about using the word "genocide" in ATGS several years back to describe the many game shows whose tapes are presumed destroyed.

THen of course the Jewish single ladies I know think I'm freaky, so what do I know :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 07:48:46 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 05:30 PM\'] THen of course the Jewish single ladies I know think I'm freaky, so what do I know :) [/quote]
 Imagine that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 04:32:23 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 07:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 05:30 PM\'] THen of course the Jewish single ladies I know think I'm freaky, so what do I know :) [/quote]
Imagine that. [/quote]
 And they probably aren't the only ones.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 05:59:36 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 04:27 PM\'] [quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 05:24 PM\'][Well, I remembered reading in an old "Broadcasting" magazine from 1989 that "Super Password" was canned due to sagging ratings and "Scrabble" survived the Holuacast becuase the ratings were still respectively good and and that it was renewed in about 90% of the country (not just becuase "$ale" got the axe). [/quote]

That's all. [/quote]
 Actually, he called it a "Holuacast" which hopefully doesn't offend any of our Hawaiian friends.