Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestant Selection  (Read 1260 times)

CarShark

Contestant Selection
« on: March 24, 2004, 08:29:52 AM »
I was thinking about this because of the recent posts about Wheel of Fortune's contestants and something I've noticed about Millionaire.

I know many people that make fun of the contestants on Wheel, but I thought that since they had to take a test as well as play the game in front of the staff, that there would be few if any mistakes (calling out used letters, missed puzzles, etc.). Even the puzzles with extra cash attached seem to bring out the worst in them, and subject them to more ridicule. What about the show makes its contestants suddenly forget how to play the game?

When it comes to Millionaire, it seems like the power has shifted. When it first came on, Regis and the producers were complaining incessantly that there weren't enough minority or female contestants. Middle-aged white men were getting to the Hot Seat again and again. Finally, about spring of 2000, it finally saw a flood of females in the Ring of Fire and Hot Seat (though they were white as well). GSN is up to the fall of 2000, and I've seen only three black contestants in the RoF and only one that made it to the Hot Seat (Stephen Maurice Clarke). I can see why they would be disappointed with the lack of diversity, but wouldn't taking out the Fastest Finger be one of the worst things they could do? Is it better for them to see a personable minority female struggle through the first five than another white male make it to the top?

The current version does away with Middle-Aged White Male Syndrome, but instead has contracted a new disease, Twenty-Something Gay Male Syndrome. With personality now being as (or more) important than playing the game well, and the increased difficulty of the questions, we see fewer big winners than ever. Did Millionaire make itself more telegenic at the expense of good gameplayers? Did they lose some of the "Everyman Can Win a Million" aspect that made it so popular in the first place? Am I the only one tired of nearly every male contestant having that weird stereotypical "lightness" to their voice?

I enjoy both shows immensely, but it seems that by making game players take a backseat to the laugh-getters, game shows lose something that makes them special.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Contestant Selection
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 11:38:12 AM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 06:29 AM\'] What about the show makes its contestants suddenly forget how to play the game?
 [/quote]
 Y'ever been under TV lights before? It's an experience.
Did Millionaire make itself more telegenic at the expense of good gameplayers?
Yes.
Did they lose some of the "Everyman Can Win a Million" aspect that made it so popular in the first place?
Yes. Good lord, did Woolery leave Wheel?
Am I the only one tired of nearly every male contestant having that weird stereotypical "lightness" to their voice?
Yes. Especially that Peter Sarrett. Talk about light inna loafers... ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrentW

Contestant Selection
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 02:38:06 AM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Mar 24 2004, 08:29 AM\']
The current version does away with Middle-Aged White Male Syndrome, but instead has contracted a new disease, Twenty-Something Gay Male Syndrome. With personality now being as (or more) important than playing the game well, and the increased difficulty of the questions, we see fewer big winners than ever. Did Millionaire make itself more telegenic at the expense of good gameplayers? Did they lose some of the "Everyman Can Win a Million" aspect that made it so popular in the first place? Am I the only one tired of nearly every male contestant having that weird stereotypical "lightness" to their voice?

I enjoy both shows immensely, but it seems that by making game players take a backseat to the laugh-getters, game shows lose something that makes them special. [/quote]
 All right, I'll bite.

I just want to preface this with: for those of you who fit this category, sorry in advance, but:

The times I enjoyed Millionaire the least was when yet another fat, white guy wearing glasses would crawl into the Hot Seat and have about as much personality as a rock.  Frankly, who gives a rat's ass if 'everyman can win a million' is thrown out, as long as they keep some of these dweebs out of the place they don't belong: TELEVISION.  

(aside to self: I can hear some of you grumbling now...)

And as a gay man, I take offense to that whole crap about it being a Twentysomething Gay Guy Syndrome.  As far as I've been able to 'gaydar', most of the ones I've seen are straight.  They just happen to be straight WITTY guys who can carry on a conversation that's somewhat interesting with Meredith, and not crooning to Regis about how their high school college quiz bowl team did in this year's regionals...ugh.      

And in response to the "did it make itself more telegenic at the expense of good game players?" question:  YES!!  A RESOUNDING YES.  But see, here's the deal: it's a bottom-line decision.  Millionaire can't have but one, MAYBE TWO, full-fledged Millionaires a year or they wouldn't be in the black.  So yes, they've made the questions a bit harder, and bumped out some of the "Einsteins" in favor of fun, still pretty smart, self-effacing, witty folks.  NEEDY folks.  I remember watching Millionaire with Regis sometimes, and these guys who would be corporate attorneys, physicians, would get in the Hot Seat.  I COULDN'T CARE LESS IF THEIR RICH ASS WINS A ZILLION.  (and yes, I'm bitter and jealous...LOL).  I like rooting for the Boomquishas and YMCA boys of the world. (aside:  "Boomquisha" is what my friends and I affectionately call Jennifer Hudson on "American Idol."  If you saw her pink dress, you'd get the reference.)

You're tired of seeing every male contestant (not true, btw) have that lightness to their voice?  Maybe Meredith can haul out some fatsos who can gab about beer and bean dip.  *sigh*.  

Me, I'll take Boomquisha and any guy who can sing the entire score to "West Side Story."   :)

-Terribly un-P.C.
Brent

PS: Just wanted to add that even *I* was weirded out by yesterday's Syndie Millionaire contestant Michael Camp calling his mom "oh MOMMY!" on the PAF.  YIKES.  :)

scully24

Contestant Selection
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »
I know many people that make fun of the contestants on Wheel, but I thought that since they had to take a test as well as play the game in front of the staff, that there would be few if any mistakes (calling out used letters, missed puzzles, etc.). Even the puzzles with extra cash attached seem to bring out the worst in them, and subject them to more ridicule. What about the show makes its contestants suddenly forget how to play the game?

Even though WOF is a seemingly simple game, there are actually a lot of simultaneous demands on the contestants once they get on the set.  They have to be chatty, spin the wheel, give the requested energy, make strategy decisions, and above all, try and solve the damned puzzle, all while under the lights and having only had the opportunity to stand on the set for a few seconds before taping begins.  It's a lot ot ask of anybody who is not an experienced performer.  So the office run-throughs definitely help cut way down on mistakes, but can't completely prepare the contestant for the experience.  Only full on-set dress rehearsals could do that, of the kind that no show has the time to do.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 02:19:27 PM by scully24 »