Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scream Play  (Read 1628 times)

Craig Karlberg

Scream Play
« on: March 25, 2004, 05:51:26 AM »
Caught this one on tvgameshows.net:

Back in the 70's Don Adans hosted a game show where contestants worked with actors to recreate a scene from a famous movie.  It was called "Don Adam's Screen Test".  Now, nearly 30 years later, E! wants to bring that concept back by bringing contestants to work with actors to recreate stunts from major films.  The show's called "Scream Play".  A June air date has been announced.

If Don Adams is still alive, would he aproove of this idea?  Also, would this be the longest time between the original & the revival(if you want to call it that)?

zachhoran

Scream Play
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 07:43:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 05:51 AM\'] Caught this one on tvgameshows.net:

Back in the 70's Don Adans hosted a game show where contestants worked with actors to recreate a scene from a famous movie.  It was called "Don Adam's Screen Test".  Now, nearly 30 years later, E! wants to bring that concept back by bringing contestants to work with actors to recreate stunts from major films.  The show's called "Scream Play".  A June air date has been announced.

If Don Adams is still alive, would he aproove of this idea?  Also, would this be the longest time between the original & the revival(if you want to call it that)? [/quote]
Don is alive, but he is 81 years old so I doubt he'd be considered to host it. Don doesn't have to approve as he doesn't own the format rights to the show.

If this is indeed a revival of DA's Screen Test(and if SB is saying it's a revival of DA's Screen Test, take it with a grain of something), it's now 28 years since that show ended first-run production. Not counting the Jim Lange pilot from 1982, Twenty One had a roughly 41 year gap between the end of the original version and the Povich remake's debut. I think that is the record between runs of a game show.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 07:55:37 AM by zachhoran »

The Ol' Guy

Scream Play
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 10:14:10 AM »
Besides, the idea didn't originate with Don's show. In the 50s or early 60s, a record company put out several albums called Co-Star, where a famous Hollywood actor or actress would perform scenes from a popular movie, and with the script enclosed, you could act along. There was also a show called Hollywood Screen Test very early on, hosted by tv Batman's Commissioner Gordon, Neil Hamilton - and I think it involved the same idea. I'll check the tv book later...as they say, everything old is new again...

Matt Ottinger

Scream Play
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 10:37:11 AM »
Steve is just reminding us how much he knows about television history when he compares the new E! show to the Don Adams show of the seventies.  He's not referring to it as a remake and I'm sure the E! producers aren't thinking of it as a remake.

The world of game shows and pseudo game shows is full of similar concepts that aren't otherwise connected.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

Scream Play
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 12:37:21 PM »
As I remember, a lot of the Don Adams show was taken up with "bloopers" and outtakes, and the competition was secondary. Don't know if that will be the case with the new one. With the emphasis on "reality shows" they will probably try to make it look like somebody's "big break" and not the chance to goof with big-name stars and pretend you're an actor, which was more of the spirit of the Adams show.

And come to think of it, didn't Monty Python do a "Be A Great Actor" bit on a record in which you supposedly spoke the words in a love scene when a buzzer went off?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

The Ol' Guy

Scream Play
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 12:58:11 PM »
YES - and thanks for the memory jogger, Doc. Hilarious! Might as well bring up their radio quiz parody "What Do You (funny sound effect)" - "a new radio quiz game based on all the OLD radio quiz games."..and the tv game BLACKMAIL, where secret films of catching people in the act of something bad were run on-air, and the longer the film ran - making the subject more identifiable - the price of what it would take to stop showing the film would go up. The victim could call in at any time, but they had to pay the price currently on screen.  

Anyone remember a hilarious game show parody on the National Lampoon record Radio Dinner with Jackson Beck hosting a show called Catch It And You Keep It, where prizes were thrown off the roof of the CBS studios, and if you could catch it, you could keep it? The wristwatch was no problem. However, the dinette set.....

scully24

Scream Play
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 02:30:11 PM »
Speaking of Don Adams' Screen Test, I'm surprised that with the success of American Idol and America's Next Top Model, nobody's doing a reality competition between actors, with the winner dubbed the next matinee idol or something.

You should at least be able to get it on Bravo.

uncamark

Scream Play
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 04:09:21 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 02:30 PM\']Speaking of Don Adams' Screen Test, I'm surprised that with the success of American Idol and America's Next Top Model, nobody's doing a reality competition between actors, with the winner dubbed the next matinee idol or something.[/quote]
It's just being done live in Chicago--as a fund-raiser for a theater company.

And yes, Melissa Fosse-Dunne (the correct spelling--the webmaster got it wrong) is related to Bob Fosse.  Met her last year when she was doing a show--sweet kid and talented, but she's just too BIG--if you get my drift--to be a star.  A character actress, more likely.

DrBear

Scream Play
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 04:31:06 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 11:58 AM\'] Anyone remember a hilarious game show parody on the National Lampoon record Radio Dinner with Jackson Beck hosting a show called Catch It And You Keep It, where prizes were thrown off the roof of the CBS studios, and if you could catch it, you could keep it? The wristwatch was no problem. However, the dinette set..... [/quote]
 I can hear it now...

BOB BARKER: What's the next item to come on down, Randy?

RANDY WEST: Aaaaaaaaa NEW CAR!

(Contestant screams)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.