Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best of the Worst and Why  (Read 18377 times)

Neumms

Best of the Worst and Why
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 02:57:59 PM »
WORST HOST: Of course, the Duke's kid and Rolf were bad, but they only screwed up one show apiece, and Rolf's is still on. There were also the identical twin midgets on \"That @#$% Quiz Show.\" But I'll make the controversial choice and say Marc Summers. Insincere, terrible with contestants, looks embarassed to be there, just awful. Wrecks any show he's on (at least the adult ones).

WORST MUSIC: \"Super Password.\" Too chipper. Would be better as a theme for some local afternoon talk show.

WORST REARRANGEMENT OF A GREAT THEME: \"The Joker's Wild.\" The original \"The Savers\" was unique and really made the show cool. Between the whistling and the totally canned horns of the remake--ugh!

WORST FORMAT CHANGE: \"Celebrity Whew!\"

WORST SET: \"Chain Reaction\" Painted drywall with a couple of chaser lights--Bob Stewart Productions at its low point.

WORST ENDGAME: \"Hot Potato\" (but I hated the whole show, except for our man Bill and the smoke) or the current \"Squares\" endgame. The Squares bonus isn't amusing, is too complex, and takes too much time from the fun part of the show. Who cares about Martin Mull's past? Give me the Davidson \"Split Second\" ripoff anyday.

James Allen

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 04:08:10 PM »
What are the worst: theme songs, hosts, format changes, end games, etc. and why?

Worst Theme: I always hated the Tic-Tac-Doe (Martindale) theme. Bottom of the barrel stuff that sounded like it played on a Casio.

Host: John Bauman (MGHSH, and a music trivia show whose name escapes me.) His character of Bowser was lame enough, but he truly sucked trying to be straight game show host.

Format changes: The various bonus rounds added to different versions of Concentration. The Narz bonus game was weak, but the Trebek bonus game was just horrid. (See what happens when they try to force bonus games on shows that never really needed them?)

End games: See above. Plus, I give dishonorable mention to The Diamond Head Game (guess what bill I'm holding in my hand!)

Worst revival: Competition here is fierce, but I'll choose Match Game 98. Not a lot of effort put into this one. The three regulars had no chemistryand Michael Berger would be a good game show host, just not for Match Game. (MG90, by comparrison, was pretty decent.)

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2003, 04:12:03 PM »
[quote name=\'James Allen\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 03:08 PM\']
What are the worst: theme songs, hosts, format changes, end games, etc. and why?

Host: John Bauman (MGHSH, and a music trivia show whose name escapes me.) His character of Bowser was lame enough, but he truly sucked trying to be straight game show host.

[/quote]
 You're thinking of The Pop 'N Rocker Game.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2003, 04:13:12 PM »
but the Trebek bonus game was just horrid.

I STRONGLY disagree. This was a fast paced bonus game, that involved matching (like the show's maingame) and was pretty exciting when a car was won. at least, that's how I see it.
insert signature here

James Allen

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2003, 04:36:25 PM »
I STRONGLY disagree. This was a fast paced bonus game, that involved matching (like the show's maingame) and was pretty exciting when a car was won. at least, that's how I see it.

It didn't seem very creative or interesting to me. Just playing match-em up on a small board? No puzzle or anything? It was so generally simple that when someone did get it done it didn't seem like much of an accomplishment, to be honest.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 05:13:40 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 03:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'James Allen\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 03:08 PM\']

[/quote]
You're thinking of The Pop 'N Rocker Game. [/quote]
 And why, pretell, would he not be thinking of the Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour?

Brandon Brooks

James Allen

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2003, 05:31:12 PM »
And why, pretell, would he not be thinking of the Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour?

I was, and I mentioned it (abbreviated as MGHSH.)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2003, 06:35:13 PM »
I'm just going to say that a lot of these choices are surprising me, because nothing would get this thread off-track faster than a bunch of argument about personal opinions.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2003, 07:19:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 05:35 PM\'] I'm just going to say that a lot of these choices are surprising me, because nothing would get this thread off-track faster than a bunch of argument about personal opinions. [/quote]
That sentence doesn't make sense to me because this thread is all about personal opinions.  And if you make an opinion, you should be able to defend it by saying more than \"it just sucked.\"

Now, I would personally say that the worst host I've seen would be Patrick Wayne for all said reasons.  Worst current theme songs is a tie with Pyramid and WoF for me... of all time would be Battlestars for me.  It sounds rather kiddish for a grown up game show.  Format change?  Card Sharks 2001.  At least TTD90 was somewhat similar to the old game, even though the host was inept.  Except for the bonus round, CS'01 really broke the mold in many terrible ways.

And as I always said, the worst show of all time is Camoflauge.  A game based on finding hidden pictures is best reserved for a kids' show, namely Finders' Keepers.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 07:21:13 PM by Brandon Brooks »

Starkman

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2003, 10:02:53 AM »
WHEW! finally found a link back here after all my bookmarks got deleted so well im baaaaccckkk ;) but anyway onto the crap pile!

THEME SONG: Trivial Pursuit, What does chopsticks have to do with a serious quizzer based on a very intellectual board game.

Honorable Mention: Wintuition, way to repeititive.

Worst sound ever heard on a game show: The category reveal on Osmond Pyramid, sounds like Marie is scratching a blackboard, truly annoying and not needed.

Honorable Mention: The siren used to indicate a 10k or more win on TPIR in the 80s, theyve toned it down alot now but it used to make me think there was an air raid or something ;)

HOST: Kirk Fogg: Game show host rule #1: when you are so bad in the first few eps that the producers cut your lines to scripted robotic repetition and hand the hosting reins to a TALKING WALL PUPPET! its time to find a real job. and those critics who say maybe i should blame stone stanley or nick for the decision should watch one of the 1st 20 eps of LOHT when kirk had full control of the show and the puppet was more just there for the endgame. He had about as much motivation as chuck henry and as much personality as a real stone face and of course when they gave Olmec the hosting reins, i could see why he wasnt motivated

Honorable Mention: Phil Moore, Patrick Wayne, John Salley.

Most Uncomfortable celeb turned Host Ever: Amhad Rashad (i think he just wanted to cut out and hit the dice tables and forget about hosting Caesars Challenge)

Honorable Mention: Wesley Eure

Good Host most unsuited to the show they threw em on: Trebek on TTTT 80s

Honorable Mention: Bill Cullen on TJW

FORMAT CHANGE: Fremantle Feud's 4th round, stupid utterly stupid

Honorable Mention: Davidson Pyramid and it's cockamanie bonuses.

Classic Show Burned Most Beyond recognition by a revival attempt: TJW 90

Honorable Mention: CS01

Worst Set: Wait til YOU have kids 1st season: Wait i thought the whole idea of child rearing is so your kid DOESNT scribble all over the walls? Well i wouldnt trust the expert with a set thats been drawn all over ;)

Honorable Mention: MG98 Looks like it was made in HS stagecraft class.

SHOW: Peer Pressure! a convlouded format, (is this a game show of snakes and ladders, a wierd survey show or what?) An annoying setup and just bad gameplay, truly needed to be burned before some innocent child is scarred for life!

Honorable Mention: Trivial Pursuit: The Interactive Game, ok why have a qualifying round as a whole show, why base it on a phone game that has nothing to do with the actual show, and why do it all by keypad so basically its more like breathe deep and count backwards from 100, just a BAD idea.

ChuckNet

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2003, 10:56:10 AM »
Phil Moore from Nick Arcade gets a dishonorable mention, although it's kinda low to pick on the kiddie game emcees.

But still, his constant singing to the music cues could get on your nerves real fast.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Starkman

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2003, 04:32:14 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 09:56 AM\']
Phil Moore from Nick Arcade gets a dishonorable mention, although it's kinda low to pick on the kiddie game emcees.

But still, his constant singing to the music cues could get on your nerves real fast.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Hear Hear, i swear to god i was 10 and i still went to the puke pail whenever i heard \"do do do dum dum da dum dum we're gonna take a vi-dee-oh challl-ennnge, do do do dum dum dah yeah!\" what a jerk...wish they replaced him with a talking wall puppet as well. he was worse than skip lackey or patrick wayne

CliffColeclough

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2003, 04:34:47 PM »
I loved Sale of the Centruy when you had to RISK IT ALL and come back the next day and chance losing everything.  When they allowed you to keep some of your winnings and return - it just lost it for me.

J.R.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2003, 06:36:08 PM »
[quote name=\'CliffColeclough\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 03:34 PM\'] I loved Sale of the Centruy when you had to RISK IT ALL and come back the next day and chance losing everything.  When they allowed you to keep some of your winnings and return - it just lost it for me. [/quote]
 I actually kinda liked it when they made it so that whatever you picked-up in the main game was yours to keep no matter what. It gave contestants an incentive to buy Instant Bargains and attempt the \"Instant Ca$h\" and a incentive to continue playing, as they know they are leaving with stuff even if they blow it and only wind up with The lawnchairs, color TV and $500 instead of the Aston-Martin, Fur Coat, and $50,000 ; )

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2003, 02:37:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 06:19 PM\']That sentence doesn't make sense to me because this thread is all about personal opinions.  And if you make an opinion, you should be able to defend it by saying more than \"it just sucked.\"[/quote]
Okay, then: (The New) TTD's theme doesn't suck. At all. Yes, it's fuzzy and synth-y, but it's obviously not because Hal Hidey only got a budget of $20 to write the theme--it's intentional. Furthermore, it probably has the best rhythm section of any GS theme ever.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin