Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best of the Worst and Why  (Read 18279 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Best of the Worst and Why
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2003, 04:47:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 02:47 PM\']
Theme Song-Go--repetitive and annoying;

I agree.  While I'm always on the lookout for more themes, I could have done without "Go"on the first CD.  I never really cared for it... [/quote]
 I liked that theme, personally. Thought it had some good piano riffs in it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2003, 05:57:44 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 01:47 PM\'] I liked that theme, personally. Thought it had some good piano riffs in it. [/quote]
 There is nothing about \"Go!\" that I _didn't_ like. Great theme, great concept, great host, great game. Okay, maybe the scoring system could have been altered a little, but even then, rewarding a team for a Clean Sweep was an ingenious way to fill in the time.

And now a set question that has been bugging me for years:

Did the entire set piece rotate to set up for the Jackpot Round, or did they just dolly the cameras around to the back, or am I in fact completely off my twig when I suggest that the two sets were a) different and b) facing in that fashion?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2003, 07:24:20 PM »
Regarding \"Go\" set question, didn't they just put the podium under the huge \"Go\" sign, up the stairs in the middle? It was a terrific set, especially considering the combination of Bob Stewart and NBC that produced it.

zachhoran

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2003, 07:25:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 04:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 01:47 PM\'] I liked that theme, personally. Thought it had some good piano riffs in it. [/quote]
There is nothing about "Go!" that I _didn't_ like. Great theme, great concept, great host, great game. Okay, maybe the scoring system could have been altered a little, but even then, rewarding a team for a Clean Sweep was an ingenious way to fill in the time.

And now a set question that has been bugging me for years:

Did the entire set piece rotate to set up for the Jackpot Round, or did they just dolly the cameras around to the back, or am I in fact completely off my twig when I suggest that the two sets were a) different and b) facing in that fashion? [/quote]
 The whole set did rotate for the bonus round on GO! as I recall. I recall seeing the maingame table in the background during the bonus.

zachhoran

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2003, 07:29:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 01:43 PM\']
Split Second's bonus was the very definition of anti-climatic, especially when coming off of a really good Countdown Round. It was nothing but pick a number 1-5. That's it. Nothing else. Very blah.

For the '86 version, you had to pick a number between 1-5, but in reality that's all the original "Split Second" end game was - pick a car between 1 and 5 and hope it starts.

Having said that, I still think "Split Second" was a great show. [/quote]
 Early in MOnty's run the bonus game had a player pick one number(one number had a Car, the others netted the player $1000). Later in the run, the contestant had to pick three numbers from 1-5, three numbers had a Car behind it, the other two said Fur or Vacation. If the three Car screens were found, player won Car and retired as champ. Otherwise they could take the Fur or Trip(with $1000, $2000, or $3000 added if the player was a two, three, or four time champ) and leave the show, or not take the prize and return for the next show. A four time champion faced a bonus round with four Car cards and one Fur or Vacation card, and a contestant could win the car by picking three of the four Car cards. Five time champs won the car automatically as on the original.

zachhoran

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2003, 07:32:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 01:45 PM\']
Worst Format Change: The increadbly stupid board changes made on PYL. M1S to $1500 or $500. PAC: $1400, $500+, $1400...

They did change that board around quite a bit over the three-year run, didn't they.  I think it was noted somewhere that at one point there were so many extra spin spaces on the board the producers had to start taking some off.  By the time you get to summer 1986 shows, there are noticably fewer on the board.  And Pick a Corner was gone by the last month of the run. [/quote]
 The lack of some of the extra spin spaces(and the lowering of some of the other round two dollar amounts) was probably due to their being over budget, and the show's dwindling ratings by mid-1986, in the hopes that the winning totals would be lowered as we mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Of course, the show's  highest non-Larsen winner, ANnemarie(later a winner on Greed), occurred during this period.

clemon79

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2003, 02:20:14 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 04:25 PM\'] The whole set did rotate for the bonus round on GO! as I recall. I recall seeing the maingame table in the background during the bonus. [/quote]
 Um, you couldn't have. The stairs at center stage where K.O. made his entrance would have blocked your view.

byrd62

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2003, 08:06:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 09:02 AM\']Kirk Fogg.....had about as much motivation as chuck henry and as much personality as a real stone face and of course when they gave Olmec the hosting reins, i could see why he wasnt motivated

[/quote]
Olmec, by the way, was played by Dee Bradley Baker, who also switched into normal announcing mode to describe the prizes on LOHT, then went on to become a fixture on STYD as announcer/sidekick.

zachhoran

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2003, 09:37:18 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 26 2003, 01:20 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 04:25 PM\'] The whole set did rotate for the bonus round on GO! as I recall. I recall seeing the maingame table in the background during the bonus. [/quote]
Um, you couldn't have. The stairs at center stage where K.O. made his entrance would have blocked your view. [/quote]
 I thought I could see at least the top of the table, going from 17 year old memory(1985-86 was when CBN aired reruns of it).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2003, 11:57:36 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 01:46 PM\'] The Edd Byrnes WOF pilot discussion in another thread made me think that it might be fun to compile a \"Best of the Worst and Why\" list.
ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com [/quote]
Worst theme: All Star Blitz--how can anyone stand this drivel?
Host: Larry Toffler--Sorry, he gets on my nerves with he constant girl-like giggles and nuinsices.
Format change: Wheel of Fortune--slowly adding more and more crap to the game lost my interest more and more....
Show: The Diamond Head Game--how anyone could have thought this made good TV must have been smoking something.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 11:58:00 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gsnstooge

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2004, 05:42:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Aug 26 2003, 10:57 AM\'] [quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 01:46 PM\'] The Edd Byrnes WOF pilot discussion in another thread made me think that it might be fun to compile a "Best of the Worst and Why" list.
ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com [/quote]
Worst theme: All Star Blitz--how can anyone stand this drivel?
Host: Larry Toffler--Sorry, he gets on my nerves with he constant girl-like giggles and nuinsices.
Format change: Wheel of Fortune--slowly adding more and more crap to the game lost my interest more and more....
Show: The Diamond Head Game--how anyone could have thought this made good TV must have been smoking something. [/quote]
 I can stand the All-Star Blitz theme standing on my head as well as Pat Finn saying "First Definition, Last definion" on TJW '90 more than that Samoan chasing Bob Barker on the first Grand Game win.

WorldClassRob

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2004, 10:35:37 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 10:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 03:49 PM\']
RD complained about the Bullseye part on E!THS, yet they went with the Bankroll thing which was almost the same thing (albeit only 3 questions instead of 5).

Also, the families each chose 1 person to play the entire round, as opposed to going down the line for the 5 Bullseye questions.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
...Also, the questions were worth $1,000, $3,000, and $5,000, instead of $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000, and $5,000.

...Also, the entire game was played on a Chyroned graphic instead of using the projection TV.

...Also, the 1994 Dawson version of the show was distributed wholly by syndication instead of the mixed syndication / network model the Combs show enjoyed.

...Also, the show's theme is now heard as a TPiR cue.

...Also, people who nitpick crap like this REALLY piss me off. [/quote]
 The Dawson hour-long revival in '94 did very well -- scored higher ratings than the Combs version, and it appeared all good things were to come for Family Feud.

What killed Dawson's revival?  O.J. Simpson.  Otherwise, Richard would have hosted Feud for another year or two.

Jay Temple

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2004, 09:56:17 PM »
WORST THEME:  I defy anyone to listen to Monopoly (on one of the CD's) and tell me that something else is worse.  (Regarding the Pyramid themes, I like the 70's version better for everything except celebrating a win.  There I'll take the 80's version.)

WORST SET:  any show where an important part of what the viewer sees is virtual

WORST CONCEPT:  (tie) Three's a Crowd and Studs

WORST REVIVAL:  TJW90  (If I'm ever unfortunate enough to see CS01, I may change my mind, but from what I've read, the essence of the game was more or less intact.)
Dishonorable mention:  $50,000 Pyramid.  Except for the big prize, the money was half what it had been in the previous incarnation.  Worse, the way to qualify for the tournament was by getting the fastest 7 of 7 for that week, and if you won a game without needing a 7, you didn't get to finish.

WORST USE OF CELEBRITIES:  Celebrity Whew!
Dishonorable mention:  Scattergories.  If you're gonna have celebrities, don't just tape 'em.

WORST KATHY LEE GIFFORD-IZATION OF PAYOUTS:  (This refers only to shows that normally had adults doing a special kids' edition.)  second go-round of Junior Pyramid, where the payouts for a big win were $1000, $2500 and $5000
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2004, 10:42:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 07:56 PM\'] (If I'm ever unfortunate enough to see CS01, I may change my mind, but from what I've read, the essence of the game was more or less intact.) [/quote]
 I'd love to know what you read, because other than the single incredibly basic concept of predicting whether a card is higher or lower than the one before it, and the Money Cards (and even THAT didn't make it intact), there is not one single facet of the Card Sharks we know and love that made it into the 2001 version.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2004, 10:54:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 09:56 PM\'] WORST THEME:  I defy anyone to listen to Monopoly (on one of the CD's) and tell me that something else is worse. [/quote]
 All Star Blitz.

Brandon Brooks