Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Models on '80's $ale  (Read 8775 times)

Jimmy Owen

Models on '80's $ale
« on: March 25, 2004, 07:43:39 PM »
Everybody remembers what they looked like, but nobody knows their names.  Were they ever credited?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Rastaub

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 08:27:50 PM »
One of the models was named Lou Melford. She filled in for Lee Menning on a 1984 episode I have.

tvrandywest

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 08:43:26 PM »
80's "Sale"? As in model Summer Bartholomew?

"Sale" was the last series Jay Stewart announced. It was sad to watch him during the difficult last years of his life. RIP

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

zachhoran

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 08:50:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 08:43 PM\'] 80's "Sale"? As in model Summer Bartholomew?

"Sale" was the last series Jay Stewart announced. It was sad to watch him during the difficult last years of his life. RIP

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 He actually did announce the final week of Blackout a few months after leaving $ale. That was his final on-camera work.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 08:54:50 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 06:50 PM\'] He actually did announce the final week of Blackout a few months after leaving $ale. That was his final on-camera work. [/quote]
 I think it's safe to say that Randy was referring to Stewart's last REGULAR gig.

Good LORD but your nitpicking is getting irritating. More than usual. And that's saying something.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 09:05:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 08:54 PM\']

Good LORD but your nitpicking is getting irritating. More than usual. And that's saying something. [/quote]
An atheist shouldn't be preaching, but the lord ain't good sometimes brutha'
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 09:06:30 PM by zachhoran »

Jimmy Owen

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 09:30:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 08:43 PM\'] 80's "Sale"? As in model Summer Bartholomew?

[/quote]
 In addition to Summer, Sally and Lee, there was also a troupe of models which would usually appear in the shopping area, I think it was two males and two or three females.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 01:15:49 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 05:54 PM\']Good LORD but your nitpicking is getting irritating. More than usual. And that's saying something.[/quote]
Thanks Chris... I knew I had to use a qualifying phrase like "last series" or be called out by our most knowledgeable group. But technically that qualifier didn't suffice to clarify it was Jay's last regular work exclusive of fill-in. So I guess I asked for it!

But if nitpicking be the rule of the day, here's one back at ya'. Can YOU spot the error in:
That was his final on-camera work.
;-p

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Don Howard

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 01:41:05 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 01:15 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 05:54 PM\']Good LORD but your nitpicking is getting irritating. More than usual. And that's saying something.[/quote]
Thanks Chris... I knew I had to use a qualifying phrase like "last series" or be called out by our most knowledgeable group. But technically that qualifier didn't suffice to clarify it was Jay's last regular work exclusive of fill-in. So I guess I asked for it!

But if nitpicking be the rule of the day, here's one back at ya'. Can YOU spot the error in:
That was his final on-camera work.
;-p

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 I spot at least two. By the by, one of the models on the nighttime edition was Karen Witter, who went on to a regular stint as Tina on One Life To Live.

Matt Ottinger

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 09:21:05 AM »
To pull this back to the original question, I don't think Jimmy was referring to the co-hosts like Summer or Lee Menning.  I think he was asking about the nameless faces that pointed to the prizes while they were being described.  $ale had a whole troupe of them, and except for dropping a first name occasionally when Perry would kid around during a Sale, I don't think they were ever identified.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 04:29:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 01:41 AM\'] I spot at least two. By the by, one of the models on the nighttime edition was Karen Witter, who went on to a regular stint as Tina on One Life To Live. [/quote]
 Continuing a long line of Playboy Playmates who move on to game shows:

Janice Pennington, Julie Cialini, Nikki Ziering, Heather Kozar as models, plus such frequent celebrity guests as Stella Stevens and Martha Smith.

I guess after she married Chuck Lorre (Dharma & Greg producer) she stopped doing on-camera work.

ChuckNet

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 06:37:38 PM »
Two of the male models on $otC were David and Gregorio.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

JohnTheGameMan

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 12:14:17 AM »
As far as I am concerned, Summer Bartholomew was the Hostess, not a model on the show.  The models were three gals and two guys.  I do remember David as one of the guys, yet I don't recall the other guy.  Per other threads here, we do know two of the female models, Lou Melford and Elaine Hobson (Elaine was the African-American model with that energizing smile).  The third one, the blonde member was named Linda, but her last name is not known.
By the way, per another thread, I belived Lou was on the Learning Channel hosting something.  Was this true and is she still doing things for the Learning Channel?  Just curious.  
In terms of Summer, she was more like a Karen Marie Thomas (1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime), a Vanna White (WOF), or even Stacy Hayes (Lingo), which is being a hostess who had more of a speaking part on the show.

Robair

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2004, 04:31:17 AM »
Elaine, David and Greg were on the show from start to finish. Joanne (who later was a model on the first two weeks of "LMAD" in '84) was replaced by Linda, and then Lou came aboard around the middle as well.

There was one other black male, the guy named Peter.

As far as them not having speaking roles, I always liked when they did the home viewer contests and they'd have all the models and Jay up on stage dressed in fercockta costumes (nurse, motorcycle cop, Sherlock Holmes, etc) giving the rules disclaimer. So they did get things to say from time to time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 04:31:59 AM by Robair »
--Robair

WorldClassRob

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2004, 11:39:17 AM »

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Very sad indeed about Jay.  He was to Let's Make A Deal as Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy was to TPIR.  

There was a blonde model I remember on the syndicated $ale named Karen.  Too bad Jim doesn't like computers; otherwise he could have share light on who the models where and what they are up to these days.

The co-hostesses I remember were Sally Julian, Lee Menning, and Summer Bartholomew.  Jay in fact did a little double-duty as announcer and co-host in mid-'84 when Lee was not able to co-host.