Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chuck Barris  (Read 3617 times)

Steve_Bier

Chuck Barris
« on: March 26, 2004, 12:13:14 PM »
While searching online for Chuck Barris' game show song CD, I noticed two shows that I never think saw the light of day. One was called "People Pickers", and the other was called "True Grit". Anyone on here have any info about either one of these shows, and how they were played, or when they were taped?

Thanks!

zachhoran

Chuck Barris
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 12:16:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 12:13 PM\'] While searching online for Chuck Barris' game show song CD, I noticed two shows that I never think saw the light of day. One was called "People Pickers", and the other was called "True Grit". Anyone on here have any info about either one of these shows, and how they were played, or when they were taped?

Thanks! [/quote]
 I don't believe True Grit was a Barris show title, but that was the title of a piece of music used on the 70s Treasure Hunt.

Jimmy Owen

Chuck Barris
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 12:45:43 PM »
"True Grit" was a late '60's movie that starred the father of TTD '90 host Pat Wayne; the Barris theme was a reorchestration of that movie theme.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

Chuck Barris
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 12:45:49 PM »
Actually, it was a game - contestants had to pick from three steaming plates of mush. Two were ground fiberboard, and one was the True Grits!

Ahem, well...

All cerealsness aside, the closest thing to "people pickers" may have been the "people Poker " Barris wrote about in "The Game Show King." You had five each of different types of people (Barris, in his usual strain of taste, mentioned five cops and five hookers) and the contestant, by asking questions, tried to get the best poker hand, say all five cops or a full house of three hookers and two cops. His report was that it was a disaster. But then, all of that book should be taken with the same amount of salt as, say, your typical report of Weapons of Mass Destruction.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Chuck Barris
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 12:51:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 10:45 AM\'] "True Grit" was a late '60's movie that starred the father of TTD '90 host Pat Wayne; the Barris theme was a reorchestration of that movie theme. [/quote]
 Wow, if that guy was anything like his kid, he musta been a no-talent hack. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Chuck Barris
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 02:02:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 12:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 10:45 AM\'] "True Grit" was a late '60's movie that starred the father of TTD '90 host Pat Wayne; the Barris theme was a reorchestration of that movie theme. [/quote]
Wow, if that guy was anything like his kid, he musta been a no-talent hack. ;) [/quote]
 Wait a minute....Frank Wayne was an actor too? How did he ever have time to do TPiR?!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

Chuck Barris
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 03:43:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 12:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 10:45 AM\'] "True Grit" was a late '60's movie that starred the father of TTD '90 host Pat Wayne; the Barris theme was a reorchestration of that movie theme. [/quote]
Wow, if that guy was anything like his kid, he musta been a no-talent hack. ;)[/quote]
Fill your hand, you son of a...!  :)

calliaume

Chuck Barris
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 04:19:39 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 12:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Mar 26 2004, 12:13 PM\'] While searching online for Chuck Barris' game show song CD, I noticed two shows that I never think saw the light of day. One was called "People Pickers", and the other was called "True Grit". Anyone on here have any info about either one of these shows, and how they were played, or when they were taped?

Thanks! [/quote]
I don't believe True Grit was a Barris show title, but that was the title of a piece of music used on the 70s Treasure Hunt. [/quote]
Many moons ago (when I first found the CD at a record store in Greenwich Village, actually), this was discussed on ATGS.  The Treasure Hunt theme was considered close enough to True Grit that it had to be renamed, I guess.

EDIT:  Mark Jeffries explains all later in the same thread.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 04:23:21 PM by calliaume »

JohnTheGameMan

Chuck Barris
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 12:19:57 AM »
It seemed to me that Chuck used a variation on the "True Grit" theme.  While it sounds similiar to the great Elmer Bernstein-Glen Campbell song of 1969, I'm sure there was a different arrangement used on "Treasure Hunt" to make it not totally the same song as "True Grit".
BTW: John Wayne was a class act and though some will disagree with me, he earned his Oscar for that role.

zachhoran

Chuck Barris
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 07:24:08 AM »
[quote name=\'JohnTheGameMan\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 12:19 AM\']
BTW: John Wayne was a class act and though some will disagree with me, he earned his Oscar for that role. [/quote]
 You mean compared to Patrick and Ethan, right?

DrBear

Chuck Barris
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 09:33:25 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 06:24 AM\'] [quote name=\'JohnTheGameMan\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 12:19 AM\']
BTW: John Wayne was a class act and though some will disagree with me, he earned his Oscar for that role. [/quote]
You mean compared to Patrick and Ethan, right? [/quote]
 No, as opposed to Carol and Fort.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.