Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game syndie question  (Read 1591 times)

adamjk

Match Game syndie question
« on: March 27, 2004, 11:59:58 AM »
As we all know, the last episode of MG 79, featured a game that was never completed. My question is, on the final episode of MG, did the same thing occur?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »
The syndie MG was designed so that a Friday never ended with a game (or a two-game match) in progress. the finale was no different.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 12:02:58 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 03:30:01 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 09:02 AM\']The syndie MG was designed so that a Friday never ended with a game (or a two-game match) in progress. the finale was no different.[/quote]
I just saw the episode in question earlier today (Saturday), so it's real easy for me to verify that a full final game was played.  Beth Creighton matched Skip Stephenson's response of "Jesse James" to win $10,000.  (Her total for her two games was $11,000.)
I have the MG finale on tape twice; the one I just saw (from the 12/31/99 Y2Play marathon) didn't include the last segment (the friend who taped it for me switched to the local New Year's Eve countdown).  I'm not sure of the whereabouts of my other copy (from the 2003 MG 30th Anniversary Marathon), but I took notes of the marathon while scanning the tapes, and indicated that Gene still invited us to join them "next time" at the end of the finale (perhaps due to bicycling episodes, or that the decision to cancel the series hadn't been made as of the final taping, or whatever.)

Esoteric Eric; even in SLP, the 15-hour 30th Anniversary Marathon took up most of two T-160 tapes (even though some 70 minutes was eaten up by a GSN malfunction featuring a bumper, ten consecutive commercials, and an eleventh ad that froze on-screen and stayed that way for about an hour)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

ChuckNet

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 01:25:26 PM »
I'm not sure of the whereabouts of my other copy (from the 2003 MG 30th Anniversary Marathon), but I took notes of the marathon while scanning the tapes, and indicated that Gene still invited us to join them "next time" at the end of the finale (perhaps due to bicycling episodes, or that the decision to cancel the series hadn't been made as of the final taping, or whatever.)

Even so, there's still some minute hints during the final segment that it's the last taping...you can hear CNR saying "Gene, thank you, thank you...", and Betty White has her attention directed towards Gene during the credits.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 03:34:43 PM »
Even so, there's still some minute hints during the final segment that it's the last taping...you can hear CNR saying "Gene, thank you, thank you...", and Betty White has her attention directed towards Gene during the credits.

I think it was likely due to "bicycling" that they didn't mention it was the last episode, but I'd also heard that Gene Rayburn didn't like goodbyes.  

Does anyone know if he ever said "goodbye" on any of the shows he hosted?  Maybe the original "Match Game" since that was done live...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

pyrfan

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 04:32:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 03:34 PM\']I think it was likely due to "bicycling" that they didn't mention it was the last episode, but I'd also heard that Gene Rayburn didn't like goodbyes. 

Does anyone know if he ever said "goodbye" on any of the shows he hosted?  Maybe the original "Match Game" since that was done live...[/quote]
I always thought it was strange that there was no mention of the last week of "Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour" being the final week. I had read of their imminent cancelation in May of that year, so they certainly had ample notice that the show was going to be off soon. (I don't think they taped that far ahead of the air dates.)

Brendan