Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blockbusters Back From The Dead  (Read 2388 times)

TravisP

Blockbusters Back From The Dead
« on: March 27, 2004, 06:09:33 PM »
Blockbusters was back from the dead tonight as it was revived as a one-off part of "Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway" Game Show Losers section which features previous game show contestants who was crap back then. The last series featured someone on Bullseye (UK Jim Bowen Version) and someone on Blankety Blank. This week had a Blockbusters contestant who was thrased on her game back in 1992 and was invited to play the game again to claim her pride. She was teamed up with her old partner after eight years (Since she was playing as a double team) while Dec was the host and Ant as the solo player. The one and only game was rigged that they would win it. Ant was buzzing in each time when each question was "What P" then giving silly answers which meant the opponents could answer, plus the questions was easy enough as it is.

After winning the game she had a chance to complete the Gold Run but there was a twist, firstly Bob Holness appeared and at a moment looked like he had a mental block and gave the questions out for the Gold Run. Even though the Gold Run was 90 seconds instead of 60 the questions was based on her personal life like "What CK did you throw at your sister once" (Answer was Carving Knife).

She completed it on the last second and won herself a holiday.

http://www.geocities.com/tpenery/gameshowmisc
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 06:06:35 AM by TravisP »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 11:19:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 06:09 PM\'] ... "What CV did you throw at your sister once" (Answer was Carving Knife). [/quote]
They really spell things different in England.  I didn't know "knife" started with a V.  Combine that with the [Ludden]coined word[/Ludden] "stuned" in the Show Summaries forum and I don't see very many future Lingo contestants here.

Anyway, I've only seen Ant & Dec on World Idol this past holiday season, but from what I've heard, they are the UK's equivalent to Ryan Seacrest in terms of being seemingly everywhere at once.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 11:21:21 PM by GS Warehouse »

TravisP

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 06:09:06 AM »
My mistake as it was actually CK, my fault. Anyway the whole Gold Run thing was a joke as she had to take the top row of letters as the first question was selected for her and had to take it. While some of the other letters available but cannot be chosen was "MOTD" (Match Of The Day) and "U2" (As in the pop band).

TravisP

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 06:13:28 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 11:19 PM\'] Anyway, I've only seen Ant & Dec on World Idol this past holiday season, but from what I've heard, they are the UK's equivalent to Ryan Seacrest in terms of being seemingly everywhere at once. [/quote]
 They are indeed "everywhere" on ITV1 as they currently host three of their biggest entertainment shows; Pop Idol, I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here and Saturday Night Takeaway.

Also at the moment there are discussions for the duo to hit the states and do a US version of Takeaway on FOX, they have already filmed a pilot back in December and waiting for the green light. Would be interesting if they used the Game Show Losers section for the US market.

vtown7

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 10:22:14 AM »
From what I've seen of Ant and Dec in various trips to the UK (Friends like these, SM:TV Live, Takeaway, Pop Idol), I quite like 'em.  Much better than Ryan Seacrest.

Cheers,

Ryan :) (not Seacrest)

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 03:54:57 PM »
And they have a cameo in "Love, Actually" where they interview the aging pop singer with the fluke Christmas hit (played by Bill Nighy) on live television--and he favors them with some curses that can only be said on British TV after the 9 p.m. "watershed"--and this seemed to be their Saturday morning show that they don't do anymore.

I enjoyed them on "World Idol"--they seem to be very likeable blokes--but are the live telecasts of "Pop Idol" as obviously sweetened as "World Idol" was?  I don't think I heard any real laughter from the audience once.

vtown7

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 09:37:26 PM »
See, one problem I had with "World Idol" (besides the fact that CTV forced us to watch Ben Mulroney on Christmas... don't get me started!) was that the audience was there but it was pretty much not that many locals (please correct me if I'm wrong).  I picked out the handlebar moustache of John Brunton (Can Idol EP) quite easily when he was cheering; I found it most hilarious.

Sigh... 01769 just wasn't lucky for me :)

In any case let's hope that if Takeaway comes across the pond that it doesn't get screwed up...

Cheers,

Ryan :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 09:38:26 PM by vtown7 »