Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Hoopla: Boring  (Read 4483 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Hoopla: Boring
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 01:54:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Mar 28 2004, 11:08 PM\'] I remember the days when he would say: "Girls, come out here...." and they would chat. Now the show has more commercials than ever, and has lost its zing.... [/quote]
 Frankly I found the "interviews" with Barker's Beauties to be insipid and more than a little overbearing. I don't miss 'em a bit.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 09:47:19 AM »
That's my point....the show isn't the same anymore....it's play game, commercial, play game, commercial, etc. I miss when Bob would interact with Rod and the models, etc. I remember the days when he would say: "Girls, come out here...." and they would chat. Now the show has more commercials than ever, and has lost its zing....

True, but that's totally not their fault. I think someone compare a show's running time from the 80's to now, and there's a cut of like 6 minutes. I'm pleased to see that there wasn't a cut to gameplay, like some shows did in later years/incarnations.

Frankly I found the "interviews" with Barker's Beauties to be insipid and more than a little overbearing. I don't miss 'em a bit.

I thought the early 80's there was WAY too much talking. by the late 80's/early 90's, I think the talking was just right.
insert signature here

Luxo1

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 03:16:26 PM »
And now there is no talking.....we never see the announcer, (have never quite understood that, how much money is that saving Cheapmantle, and.......they hardly use any of the classic music that so many fans adored......so much of the music on the show is new.......and rather blase.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2004, 03:38:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 12:16 PM\'] And now there is no talking.....we never see the announcer, (have never quite understood that, how much money is that saving Cheapmantle, and.......they hardly use any of the classic music that so many fans adored......so much of the music on the show is new.......and rather blase. [/quote]
 The average viewer doesn't even notice the musical changes, I would wager.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2004, 04:26:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 03:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 12:16 PM\'] And now there is no talking.....we never see the announcer, (have never quite understood that, how much money is that saving Cheapmantle, and.......they hardly use any of the classic music that so many fans adored......so much of the music on the show is new.......and rather blase. [/quote]
The average viewer doesn't even notice the musical changes, I would wager. [/quote]
 The average viewer doesn't even know there is music. New music, old music, they don't know.

Believe me, it is known that most people prefer the older Score package, but one of the reasons given for the new music was that some of the tunes were old/outdated and needed to be retired.

One cue that was supposed to be retired (one that I agreed with) was a violin variation of the main theme often used for clocks during an IUFB. But I still hear it every so often.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2004, 05:14:54 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 03:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 03:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 12:16 PM\'] And now there is no talking.....we never see the announcer, (have never quite understood that, how much money is that saving Cheapmantle, and.......they hardly use any of the classic music that so many fans adored......so much of the music on the show is new.......and rather blase. [/quote]
The average viewer doesn't even notice the musical changes, I would wager. [/quote]
The average viewer doesn't even know there is music. New music, old music, they don't know.

Believe me, it is known that most people prefer the older Score package, but one of the reasons given for the new music was that some of the tunes were old/outdated and needed to be retired. [/quote]
 I still don't see the logic behind changing all the music around when most of us -- the only people who even notice the darn stuff -- love the old cues and despise the new ones.

Luxo1

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2004, 05:20:41 PM »
I still don't see the logic behind changing all the music around when most of us -- the only people who even notice the darn stuff -- love the old cues and despise the new ones.

Exactly.....and why the heck don't they show the announcers anymore?

JayC

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2004, 05:58:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 04:20 PM\'] Exactly.....and why the heck don't they show the announcers anymore? [/quote]
 DisMantle doesn't want to pay extra to have him on camera, and I think it has something to do with Bob wanting the attention.

cmjb13

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2004, 06:13:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 05:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 03:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 03:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 12:16 PM\'] And now there is no talking.....we never see the announcer, (have never quite understood that, how much money is that saving Cheapmantle, and.......they hardly use any of the classic music that so many fans adored......so much of the music on the show is new.......and rather blase. [/quote]

Believe me, it is known that most people prefer the older Score package, but one of the reasons given for the new music was that some of the tunes were old/outdated and needed to be retired. [/quote]
I still don't see the logic behind changing all the music around when most of us -- the only people who even notice the darn stuff -- love the old cues and despise the new ones. [/quote]
 Most of the people who love the Score package are obviously fans of the show.

The thought was that even though the old Score package was good, it was just getting tired, with the same music for 30+ years.

If Bob didn't like the new cues, they wouldn't be on the show.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Card Shark

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2004, 06:14:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 01:54 AM\'] [quote name=\'Luxo1\' date=\'Mar 28 2004, 11:08 PM\'] I remember the days when he would say: "Girls, come out here...." and they would chat. Now the show has more commercials than ever, and has lost its zing.... [/quote]
Frankly I found the "interviews" with Barker's Beauties to be insipid and more than a little overbearing. I don't miss 'em a bit. [/quote]
 I can see that. The show is o.k. IMO these days, but the thing that is getting a tad bit boring for me is that every time someone sneezes during the playing of a game or gets something right, Bob exclaims that it's the first time this has happened in 32 years, or how it's some kind of TPIR record (like he keeps track or something). Everything's a new record. They should keep track of how many times in a given week Bob makes that sort of mention and how Roger quickly smiles and nods in agreement.
Adam Strom

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2004, 09:39:54 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 05:13 PM\'] Most of the people who love the Score package are obviously fans of the show.

The thought was that even though the old Score package was good, it was just getting tired, with the same music for 30+ years. [/quote]
 You know, I don't doubt that this was the logic Stan used...but it doesn't strike me as being very good logic.  If we're the only ones who pay attention to the songs, wouldn't it stand to reason that he'd try to play stuff that we actually like, regardless of how old it is?

SplitSecond

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2004, 10:06:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 06:39 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 05:13 PM\'] Most of the people who love the Score package are obviously fans of the show.

The thought was that even though the old Score package was good, it was just getting tired, with the same music for 30+ years. [/quote]
You know, I don't doubt that this was the logic Stan used...but it doesn't strike me as being very good logic.  If we're the only ones who pay attention to the songs, wouldn't it stand to reason that he'd try to play stuff that we actually like, regardless of how old it is? [/quote]
 Assuming we (as a fandom) were indeed the only ones to pay attention to the music selection, then Stan has the choice between programming music to the tastes of a bunch of faceless uber-fans, the vast majority of whom he's never met or heard of, or programming to his tastes.

When more of the uber-fans have Nielsen boxes, maybe he'll change his tune, so to speak.  Until then, he's really only accountable to the producers and director of the show on which he's working.  And unless they dislike a selection of Stan's or his overall musical direction, he gets to pretty much pick what *he* likes.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2004, 05:07:05 AM »
SplitSecond has a point there.  I'm always on the lookout for classic cues.  When they're played, my memory bank goes ga-ga over that piece.  Anyway, the nusic is & will ALWAYS be in integral part of the show.  If you like it, fine.  If you don't, tough luck.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2004, 05:52:51 AM »
Amidst all this, it seems to me that, this season, they've considerably dialed back the percentage of "new" music per show--compared to the last couple of seasons, at least.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 04:52 AM\']Amidst all this, it seems to me that, this season, they've considerably dialed back the percentage of "new" music per show--compared to the last couple of seasons, at least.[/quote]
For one thing, the newer packages that have popped up in the last year or two have a fuller sound to them than the 1994 package and blend in with the older stuff better, because they're using acoustic instruments and more of them than the 1994 package.

Even though, it seemed like I wasn't hearing the old exercise equipment cue that much until recently--and that's from the original package.  (If you hear it, you'll know which one I mean--although I believe last time I heard it it was used for something other than exercise equipment.)