Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Models on '80's $ale  (Read 8774 times)

Winkfan

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 06:54:15 PM »
80's "Sale"? As in model Summer Bartholomew?

"Sale" was the last series Jay Stewart announced. It was sad to watch him during the difficult last years of his life. RIP

Randy
tvrandywest.com
He actually did announce the final week of Blackout a few months after leaving $ale. That was his final on-camera work.
Speaking of StoC, I never did get an answer to a question I asked the last time that show's models were discussed. Namely, DID DON MORROW EVER APPEAR ON-CAMERA WHILE HE WAS SALE'S ANNOUNCER?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Anitra Ford of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:05:46 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

WorldClassRob

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004, 09:41:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Mar 27 2004, 06:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 05:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 25 2004, 08:43 PM\'] 80's "Sale"? As in model Summer Bartholomew?

"Sale" was the last series Jay Stewart announced. It was sad to watch him during the difficult last years of his life. RIP

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
He actually did announce the final week of Blackout a few months after leaving $ale. That was his final on-camera work. [/quote]
Speaking of StoC, I never did get an answer to a question I asked the last time that show's models were discussed. Namely, DID DON MORROW EVER APPEAR ON-CAMERA WHILE HE WAS SALE'S ANNOUNCER?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Anitra Ford of the Big Board!' [/quote]
 I don't remember Don ever appearing on camera during his time as announcer, Tammy.  If he did, it was very rare.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2004, 08:26:11 AM »
Sorry to dwell on such a sad subject, but why did Jay Stewart part ways with Sale of the Century?

zachhoran

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 09:48:31 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 08:26 AM\'] Sorry to dwell on such a sad subject, but why did Jay Stewart part ways with Sale of the Century? [/quote]
 To focus on his other career as a talent agent. One person on his roster, Harry Stevens, was the announcer on the syndicated Finders Keppers.

tvrandywest

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 10:19:01 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 05:26 AM\'] Sorry to dwell on such a sad subject, but why did Jay Stewart part ways with Sale of the Century? [/quote]
Because of the respect our members have for Jay and his work, I trust that we'll be able to keep this information in its proper perspective. And as Mike Wallace and millions of other Americans can attest to, clinical depression is a debilitating disease.

Jay suffered from chronic depression towards the end of his life. Like many others in that battle, he took to drinking heavily. The producers at "Sale" were generous in trying to accommodate Jay as his condition deteriorated, and they would pre-record almost all of his material for the week's shows first thing in the morning. (Fans will want to know that towards the end of his tenure on the show the only line he delivered live was the reveal of the fame game board when a contestant picked one of the nine squares - the logistics of pre-taping nine possibilities and accessing the correct one for playback in real time was too complex. Jay had nine 5x8 file cards in an open top box and would immediately pull and read the correct one as the contestant made their choice).

Jay did remain on set for the full day of taping to perform the warm-up responsibilities. I visited and stayed for only 2 episodes as I was horrified by what I saw. Jay was clearly under the influence, there was little life in his eyes, and while he tried to exude the efferevescent personality we remember, it was hollow and his face resembled that of a sad clown's. Indeed, much of what he said was mumbled and slurred, and at one point he almost tripped and fell down the audience steps at NBC studio 3.

Jay was ultimately released from the show and one of the nicest and most generous gentlemen in Hollywood, voice agent Don Pitts gave Jay a job, an office and a desk at the talent agency then known as Joseph, Helfond and Rix (now Kazarian, Spencer and Associates). Jay was to sign game show host and announcer talent and market them to producers, many of whom he knew.

While he secured some work for Harry Stevens with his former employer Barry-Enright on "Pictionary", and booked a commercial for Gene Wood, most of Jay's four months as an agent was not very productive. Jay's phone log and notes from between May 23rd and September 14th (I remember this as 1989) show that he had active dialogue with just about everybody in the game show world including well known names from the networks, production companies, distributors, the casting community and AFTRA.

Jay also spoke with and/or actively represented a few performers, myself included among Don Bleu, Joe Farago, John Cramer, Fred Holiday, and Pat Finn. It was a treat to sit with Jay as he recounted his career highlights, educated me at great length about performing on game shows, and as we strategized for future work. From the best I could tell Jay had stopped drinking, but the profound depression from which he was suffering was clearly apparent.

I was with Jay on a memorable Friday afternoon. At 5 PM he wrapped our conversation saying that he had to pick up his car from the service department at Casa De Cadillac before they closed at 6PM, and that he would call me on Monday. I was beyond shocked on that Sunday afternoon when I heard that Jay had committed suicide at his home.

A generous man, a terrible end.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 10:52:39 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 11:38:55 AM »
Wow. Thanks, Randy, for the accurate (if somewhat sobering, no pun intended) information.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2004, 12:28:15 PM »
Thank you, Randy, for the loving insight. Even to this day, Jay's death affects me. Remembering watching him on such shows as The 700 Club and others where he was telling us how he was finding new purpose and peace through religion, it was exciting news. Back then, I also believed like many did that, hey - come to God, life's problems are solved! Then we are incredibly shocked to discover we are not always immune from certain elements in life that can be potentially overpowering, such as depression. I remember reading the news story and wondering - how could this be? One person can handle it well, someone else struggles, but both have a place in God's heart. It taught me we are all vulnerable, and that's why we have to keep picking each other up and help each other as much as we can. Thanks for the chance to unbottle some long time thoughts....

the ol' Rev...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 05:32:28 PM by The Ol' Guy »

MyCapableAssistant

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2004, 04:16:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 08:19 AM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 05:26 AM\'] Sorry to dwell on such a sad subject, but why did Jay Stewart part ways with Sale of the Century? [/quote]
Because of the respect our members have for Jay and his work, I trust that we'll be able to keep this information in its proper perspective. And as Mike Wallace and millions of other Americans can attest to, clinical depression is a debilitating disease.

Jay suffered from chronic depression towards the end of his life. Like many others in that battle, he took to drinking heavily. The producers at "Sale" were generous in trying to accommodate Jay as his condition deteriorated, and they would pre-record almost all of his material for the week's shows first thing in the morning. (Fans will want to know that towards the end of his tenure on the show the only line he delivered live was the reveal of the fame game board when a contestant picked one of the nine squares - the logistics of pre-taping nine possibilities and accessing the correct one for playback in real time was too complex. Jay had nine 5x8 file cards in an open top box and would immediately pull and read the correct one as the contestant made their choice).

Jay did remain on set for the full day of taping to perform the warm-up responsibilities. I visited and stayed for only 2 episodes as I was horrified by what I saw. Jay was clearly under the influence, there was little life in his eyes, and while he tried to exude the efferevescent personality we remember, it was hollow and his face resembled that of a sad clown's. Indeed, much of what he said was mumbled and slurred, and at one point he almost tripped and fell down the audience steps at NBC studio 3.

Jay was ultimately released from the show and one of the nicest and most generous gentlemen in Hollywood, voice agent Don Pitts gave Jay a job, an office and a desk at the talent agency then known as Joseph, Helfond and Rix (now Kazarian, Spencer and Associates). Jay was to sign game show host and announcer talent and market them to producers, many of whom he knew.

While he secured some work for Harry Stevens with his former employer Barry-Enright on "Pictionary", and booked a commercial for Gene Wood, most of Jay's four months as an agent was not very productive. Jay's phone log and notes from between May 23rd and September 14th (I remember this as 1989) show that he had active dialogue with just about everybody in the game show world including well known names from the networks, production companies, distributors, the casting community and AFTRA.

Jay also spoke with and/or actively represented a few performers, myself included among Don Bleu, Joe Farago, John Cramer, Fred Holiday, and Pat Finn. It was a treat to sit with Jay as he recounted his career highlights, educated me at great length about performing on game shows, and as we strategized for future work. From the best I could tell Jay had stopped drinking, but the profound depression from which he was suffering was clearly apparent.

I was with Jay on a memorable Friday afternoon. At 5 PM he wrapped our conversation saying that he had to pick up his car from the service department at Casa De Cadillac before they closed at 6PM, and that he would call me on Monday. I was beyond shocked on that Sunday afternoon when I heard that Jay had committed suicide at his home.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 How terribly sad.

davemackey

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2004, 04:32:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 10:19 AM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 05:26 AM\'] Sorry to dwell on such a sad subject, but why did Jay Stewart part ways with Sale of the Century? [/quote]
Because of the respect our members have for Jay and his work, I trust that we'll be able to keep this information in its proper perspective.

(snip)

[/quote]
 Hey Randy,

Thank you for having the courage to share this inside and deeply personal information with us.

The message board gods are smiling as they made your very detailed post come right after Zach's usual pat response, refined and somewhat diluted from years of message board participation.

I was at what may have been Jay Stewart's last tapings of SOTC ... I think it was in January of 1988. (Charlie Tuna had already taken over "Scrabble" and was doing an excellent job over there.) It was the syndicated show, and I had quite an impression that this wasn't the same guy who was ebullient and energetic all those years with Monty Hall. I could even hear it in those shows he announced after the taping... the voice was shot, and it was clear that he was a shell.

I remember Jay having pre-recorded his opening spiel except for Jim Perry's intro, and most of the rest of the copy had been pre-recorded as well. He slated the promos in a booming but strained voice: "TEN SECOND PROMO!" "THIRTY SECOND PROMO!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2004, 05:22:01 PM »
Randy -

Thank you for sharing that personal account. Though not easy to hear, it goes a long way toward dispelling any folklore surrounding the matter, and it means a lot more coming from someone who knew him.

Zach, someone of Jay Stewart's stature doesn't leave a show in mid-series and abandon an announcing career of several decades standing to take up an entirely new career on a whim. You know better than that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 05:22:50 PM by chris319 »

zachhoran

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2004, 06:58:15 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 04:32 PM\']
I was at what may have been Jay Stewart's last tapings of SOTC ... I think it was in January of 1988. (Charlie Tuna had already taken over "Scrabble" and was doing an excellent job over there.) It was the syndicated show, and I had quite an impression that this wasn't the same guy who was ebullient and energetic all those years with Monty Hall. [/quote]
 I know this thread has turned into a somber one thanks to Randy's heartfelt words, but if it was early 1988(and that is about when Jay Stewart's time on $otC ended) it'd be the NBC version and not the syndie.

zachhoran

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2004, 07:23:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 05:22 PM\']

Zach, someone of Jay Stewart's stature doesn't leave a show in mid-series and abandon an announcing career of several decades standing to take up an entirely new career on a whim. You know better than that. [/quote]
 You're right, that doesn't normally happen, even in show business :)

DrBear

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2004, 07:24:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 09:19 AM\'] Because of the respect our members have for Jay and his work, I trust that we'll be able to keep this information in its proper perspective ... (rest of an excellent post trimmed, go read it first) [/quote]
 Having known people with depression - including family - I know how difficult it is. And it is something that doesn't "just show up" but is part of a person for a long time.  Which makes his earlier work on LMAD more impressive — because of all the physical demands (moving props, appearing with Zonks), it's right up there with what Randy and his cohorts do on TPIR.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2004, 11:13:15 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 04:58 PM\'] I know this thread has turned into a somber one thanks to Randy's heartfelt words, but if it was early 1988(and that is about when Jay Stewart's time on $otC ended) it'd be the NBC version and not the syndie. [/quote]
 And the message is being totally lost due to your continued nitpicking.

Do you realize that IT DOESN'T MATTER which one it was? It's not at all important to the message? No, you don't. Because Zach Horan, once again, has to yank away the spotlight to show the world how much Zach Horan knows about game shows. Even AFTER getting called on the carpet after your first overly-careless attempt at doing same in this thread.

You wanna know why people don't like you? THIS IS WHY PEOPLE DON'T LIKE YOU.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

Models on '80's $ale
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2004, 02:34:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 10:19 AM\'] Jay suffered from chronic depression towards the end of his life. Like many others in that battle, he took to drinking heavily. The producers at "Sale" were generous in trying to accommodate Jay as his condition deteriorated, and they would pre-record almost all of his material for the week's shows first thing in the morning. [/quote]
 Which was certainly generous of the Grundy production team to do.

Based on what I've read and seen, it seems that most game production companies in the '60s, '70s, and '80s went beyond the call to do right by their coworkers (witness, for example, Squares putting Charley Weaver's girlfriend on the payroll after his death).  Given most of the shows today are being produced by much larger multinational corporations, I'm dubious the same accommodations could be made.