Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR College Special  (Read 2095 times)

tvrandywest

TPIR College Special
« on: March 29, 2004, 10:30:23 AM »
Preliminary overnight numbers:

CBS was the #1 network on Saturday night with an overall 5.8 rating/11 share. ABC was second with a 5.4/10, followed by FOX with a 5.1/9. NBC brought up the rear with a 2.4.

CBS took the 9 p.m. hour with a combination of NCAA and a "Price Is Right" special coming together for a 6.1/11. ABC moved up to second place as FOX slipped to third with "America's Most Wanted," 5.1/9. NBC remained fourth with its movie.

It's all subject to all the methodology limitations, and the problem of measuring a show that ran from one hour into the next, etc... but yet another win for another "Price" primetime Million Dollar Spectacular.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR College Special
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 10:52:48 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 09:30 AM\'] Preliminary overnight numbers:

CBS was the #1 network on Saturday night with an overall 5.8 rating/11 share. ABC was second with a 5.4/10, followed by FOX with a 5.1/9. NBC brought up the rear with a 2.4.

CBS took the 9 p.m. hour with a combination of NCAA and a "Price Is Right" special coming together for a 6.1/11. ABC moved up to second place as FOX slipped to third with "America's Most Wanted," 5.1/9. NBC remained fourth with its movie.

It's all subject to all the methodology limitations, and the problem of measuring a show that ran from one hour into the next, etc... but yet another win for another "Price" primetime Million Dollar Spectacular.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 It certainly didn't hurt that the Oklahoma State/St. Joseph's hoops game was compelling from start to finish and provided a great lead-in in the Eastern and Central time zones.  Job well done on the show, and congrats on the ratings.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JayC

TPIR College Special
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 06:03:42 PM »
This snoozefest of a special was actually GOOD in the ratings?  Surprising.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR College Special
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 06:18:25 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 04:03 PM\'] This snoozefest of a special was actually GOOD in the ratings?  Surprising. [/quote]
 Not really. If anything, maybe this will finally show you that the whining and bitching of a bunch of niche die-hards doesn't mean Thing One when it comes to the overall numbers.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FeudDude

TPIR College Special
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 07:37:18 PM »
What exactly would the outcome of the show have to do with the ratings?  People tuned in because they wanted to see a Price Is Right special, or possibly just because it was on after the game.  How were we supposed to know that the outcome would be this bad?

Craig Karlberg

TPIR College Special
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 05:36:23 AM »
Exactly.  The operative word here is "ratings" meaning people are tunning in.  So, that basketball game generated enough "ratings" lead-in to warm up the audience for that special no matter what the results on the show were.  Even if we found out BEFORE it aired, it probably wouldn't made much of a diffrence anyway.

uncamark

TPIR College Special
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 04:25:24 PM »
On the other hand, Marc Berman's colder approach to ratings analysis didn't declare "TPIR" as a "winner" other than taking its time period--but on most Saturday nights, he rarely declares *any* show a "winner" because the viewing levels are so depressed and the audience that *is* watching is so scattered among all of the channels.

But "TPIR" did do what is was supposed to do--hang on to the audience watching the NCAA tourney and provide a little promotional platform, albeit jerry-built.  The fact that three more prime time shows are in production would seem to indicate that "TPIR" prime time specials will continue to be one of the stunt weapons in the CBS arsenal.

tvrandywest

TPIR College Special
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 09:30:59 PM »
Only Jesus had better numbers than Bob on CBS.  But remember that Jesus had better writers.    ;-p

^ credit: Milton Berle ^

Thanks for not posting a spoiler on the Jesus story. I haven't watched it from Tivo yet - don't ruin the ending.

I heard it was good - a critic gave it 4 nails.

(Ducking and going to hell)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 03:46:14 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DrJWJustice

TPIR College Special
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 09:45:33 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 10:52 AM\'] It certainly didn't hurt that the Oklahoma State/St. Joseph's hoops game was compelling from start to finish and provided a great lead-in in the Eastern and Central time zones. [/quote]
 I'm still down on St. Joseph's.  They took out my Red Raiders :-(

The Ol' Guy

TPIR College Special
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 11:23:14 PM »
If you're certain of that final direction, pal, don't dismay. There'll be work for you. After just getting that video from Stu, when the guy who produced/invented The Object Is... told St. Peter what he had done on Earth...well, he might need an announcer for his next project. Yipe, what a painful way to spend 30 minutes...

uncamark

TPIR College Special
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 04:45:43 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 30 2004, 09:30 PM\'] Only Jesus had better numbers than Bob on CBS.  But remember that Jesus had better writers.    ;-p

^ credit: Milton Berle ^

[/quote]
 MILTON BERLE AT THE EMMYS:  I'd like to thank my four writers for the great jokes they come up with.

BISHOP SHEEN (a few minutes later):  I'd also like to thank *my* four writers--Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR College Special
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 05:01:27 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Mar 30 2004, 08:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 29 2004, 10:52 AM\'] It certainly didn't hurt that the Oklahoma State/St. Joseph's hoops game was compelling from start to finish and provided a great lead-in in the Eastern and Central time zones. [/quote]
I'm still down on St. Joseph's.  They took out my Red Raiders :-( [/quote]
 It's funny (maybe not to most), but had St. Joe's beaten OK State I would've clinched victory in my office pool in spite of me having OK State to beat St. Joe's to advance to the Final Four (confused?  :-) ).

Were you a Red Raiders fan before Herr General took over the reins, JWJ (some of my quality time in college was spent watching him at Indiana)?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)