Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: On the Cover  (Read 2482 times)

goongas

On the Cover
« on: March 31, 2004, 06:54:16 PM »
New Web site for what I think is the game show talked about years ago.

On The Cover

calliaume

On the Cover
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 08:54:35 PM »
And what a website it is!  The very definition of the word "interactive!"  Lively, colorful, life-changing.

(Wait... my tongue seems to be embedded in my cheek!)

DrBear

On the Cover
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 09:11:07 PM »
(sarcasm detectors across the land make the "tacky buzzer" sound from HS)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
On the Cover
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 09:13:11 PM »
Heh...this reminds me of one of the many times Steve-o would get info about some new game in development and post some sort of logo to make a picture for the story. "Friend or Foe?" looked kind of like a lifesaver...this was just some picture with the words "ON THE COVER" in Wide Latin if memory serves.

Speaking of which, how far did that show go four years ago? Unsold pilot?

-Jason
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 09:13:59 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

On the Cover
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 12:08:20 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 31 2004, 09:13 PM\'] Speaking of which, how far did that show go four years ago? Unsold pilot?
 [/quote]
 IIRC, NBC was trying to pick it up for primetime, which explains why PAX is going for it. It was right around the time they got Weakest Link. I don't remember if a pilot was made.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

On the Cover
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 05:32:48 AM »
And just as I thought that went out as "vaporware".  Hmmm.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
On the Cover
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 06:57:56 AM »
A pilot was made for TNN in September, 2001 and it was a snore. It was basically a one-category Q&A game.

uncamark

On the Cover
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 04:52:59 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 31 2004, 09:13 PM\']Heh...this reminds me of one of the many times Steve-o would get info about some new game in development and post some sort of logo to make a picture for the story. "Friend or Foe?" looked kind of like a lifesaver...this was just some picture with the words "ON THE COVER" in Wide Latin if memory serves.[/quote]
That logo looked like the Perfesser found some a picture of an old magazine cover with "ON THE COVER" in big letters and used it--in fact, I thought I saw a date of either the 40s or 50s in the graphic.

thgames65

On the Cover
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 06:01:21 PM »
I attended an audition for "On The Cover" a couple of days ago and made it into the contestant pool.  Tapings will begin in late April, and will continue through July.

30 question quiz, fill-in-the-blank style, on pop culture and recent events.  Passing score was not announced, but approx. 2/3 of the 35 auditioners passed.  Passers then proceeded to play a mock game in groups of 3.

The Game:   "On The Cover" refers to magazine, CD, DVD covers which will be used as the basis for the questions.  Newspaper front pages will also be used.  In addition to people, locations, objects, and titles may also be answers.  The game will have 3 contestants each show, no returning champ.  There are three rounds, with the leader at the end of the first round going onto the bonus round to try for the grand prize.  First round will have each contestant on their own trying to identify 10 covers within 30 seconds. Each correct answer accumulates points.  In the 2nd round, the contestants compete together with 3 covers displayed.  The 3rd place person at the end of Round 1 selects one of the 3 covers, and the host (not yet cast) will ask a question regarding the cover.  First person to buzz in after the question has been read in its entirety will get a chance to answer.  So far, they said that there is no penalty for an incorrect answer.  If someone is incorrect, the other 2 get to buzz in.  Correct answers accumulate more points, and the keeps control of "the board".  A new cover replaces the one used in the previous question.  Every time a cover is not selected for a question, the point value for that cover increases.  In Round 3, there are 3 covers displayed, and the host will ask a series of 5 questions in which the subject of one of the 3 covers is the answer.  After the 5 questions, the 3 covers are changed to a different set, and 5 more questions are asked.  Don't know how long round 2 and 3 last in total, but I think we have a 30 min show.  The leader at the end of Round 3 goes to the Bonus Round, and the other 2 get "very nice" consolation prizes.  There are no cash prizes.
In the Bonus Round, the contestant will be given 4 covers to identify.  Each answer has a key word which will be highlighted for the contestant if a correct response is given.  The 4 key words act as clue for a final answer.   Bonus round winner will get a trip for 2 to an exotic location worth at least $10K, so it will be an ultra-luxury week-long thing.  There will be no returning champion, 3 new contestants each show.

As of Thursday, they were still auditioning for a host as well.  They have a committment for 130 shows, so they will need plenty of contestants.  You can go to the link in goongas's first post in this topic.  The production company (Western International Syndication) also has a web page about the show (http://www.wistelevision.com/otc.html) but does not contain any more information (yet).

Tim H.

itiparanoid13

On the Cover
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 08:28:14 PM »
I thought that i heard VH1 picked this show up instead?

thgames65

On the Cover
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 11:01:08 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 07:28 PM\']I thought that i heard VH1 picked this show up instead?[/quote]
In the article on tvgameshows.net, "On The Cover" and Michael Davies's new show for VH-1 "Gaydar" are both mentioned, and the headline used makes it easy to think that only one show is being discussed.  "OTC" will be on PAX.

zachhoran

On the Cover
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 11:15:11 PM »
[quote name=\'thgames65\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 10:01 PM\'] "OTC" will be on PAX. [/quote]
 Pax won't renew Supermarket Sweep, but they'll premiere a new game show. Good for them :)

itiparanoid13

On the Cover
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 09:45:44 AM »
[quote name=\'thgames65\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 10:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 07:28 PM\']I thought that i heard VH1 picked this show up instead?[/quote]
In the article on tvgameshows.net, "On The Cover" and Michael Davies's new show for VH-1 "Gaydar" are both mentioned, and the headline used makes it easy to think that only one show is being discussed.  "OTC" will be on PAX. [/quote]
 Ah, ok.  Words just jumbled in my head and I gave up.  Thanks for clearing that up.