Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show comedy  (Read 1500 times)

GS Warehouse

Game Show comedy
« on: April 01, 2004, 06:15:16 PM »
On this April Fool's Day, I am going to ask a question based on the best kind of comedy: unintentional.  In general, which is these makes for the funniest gs moment?
  • A bad answer caused by prematurely buzzing in
  • An answer that has nothing to do with the question, i.e. answering just to answer
  • The use of a word not typically used on a game show
  • The dreaded "technical difficulties"
  • The host messes up his lines.
I'm not looking for specific gs examples of the above, just which is the funniest in general.  Write-ins are allowed.

I leave this question with some good news (scroll down to see) ...

T
i
k
i

c
a
n

d
e
a
l

m
e

i
n

a
n
y
d
a
y
:-)

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!

j/k April Fool's!

ObGS: Is it just me or has Geico bought a lot of ad time on GSN?

DrBear

Game Show comedy
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 07:34:44 PM »
In general, which is these makes for the funniest gs moment?
  • A bad answer caused by prematurely buzzing in
  • An answer that has nothing to do with the question, i.e. answering just to answer
  • The use of a word not typically used on a game show
  • The dreaded "technical difficulties"
  • The host messes up his lines.
I'm not looking for specific gs examples of the above, just which is the funniest in general.  Write-ins are allowed.[/i]

It depends on what it is. An early answer can be funny or it may not. Ditto for the others. Word not used? I don't know how funny profanity is, but in context it can be. Most mess-ups are funny to those involved, but to me they're unprofessional and unless they lead to something else — see the "France" episode on Password — they're forgettable.  And one of the funniest moments around — YOU FOOL! — doesn't fit under ANY of the above categories.

ObGS: Is it just me or has Geico bought a lot of ad time on GSN?
Geico buys a lot of ad time everywhere. If they didn't, maybe they could cut their rates some more.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

The Ol' Guy

Game Show comedy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 09:41:53 PM »
I might not be totally grasping the question, as each of the choices are potentially hilarious depending on the show. A technical glitch on Beat The Clock would be irritating and potentially game-altering, where Wink having to give players back the dice himself if his High Rollers table conveyor shorted out could be played for laughs. There were a few shows that had a potential for humor just from playing the game - other than Match Game, where every dirty mind could enjoy itself with the double entendre (sp?), two that immediately come to mind are Make A Face and Eye Guess - the way that contestants could be set up to make genuinely innocent mistakes that could lead to big laughs in a kind way was neat. As the game begins and players call out numbers that either create a funny mixed-up face or reveal a mismatched answer to the question, it is just part of the game and not forced. I've always wished Eye Guess would come back - even with slightly edgier answers, you could have a good game show with a strong potential for comedy that doesn't come from setting celebrities up with scripts or intentionally embarrasing somebody (GSN, take note - lighthearted game, a couple of funny contemporary writers, cheap set, simple prizes, you own the rights?). Doing Make A Face with celebrity photos could be fun, too. The format's a little creaky for today's viewers, but used as part of a more contemporary-themed game, it could be fun. I say innocent mistakes are the funniest moments.

uncamark

Game Show comedy
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 12:27:30 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Apr 1 2004, 07:34 PM\']ObGS: Is it just me or has Geico bought a lot of ad time on GSN?
Geico buys a lot of ad time everywhere. If they didn't, maybe they could cut their rates some more.[/quote]
In fact, I saw somewhere that Geico is one of the top 10 advertisers on TV--because they buy in volume on every channel.

ObGameShow:  How 'bout that Holiday Inn Express "J!" spot?  Good for a chuckle.

vtown7

Game Show comedy
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 09:11:39 PM »
QUOTE:

ObGameShow: How 'bout that Holiday Inn Express "J!" spot? Good for a chuckle.
------------

Now that stunned me when I saw it!  Next up: Geico gecko on Wheel?

Cheers,

Ryan :)

Jay Temple

Game Show comedy
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 10:26:44 PM »
I'll go for a specific type of the first option.  A player interrupts a question and gives an answer that turns out to be absurd when the entire question is revealed.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

Game Show comedy
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 11:01:33 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Apr 2 2004, 09:11 PM\'] Now that stunned me when I saw it!  Next up: Geico gecko on Wheel?
 [/quote]
 TPiR showcase...contestant has bid $30,000

BOB: (name of contestant), you have bid $30,000 on your showcase...I have some good news for you!

CONTESTANT: I won the showcase?

BOB: Noooo...I saved 15% on my car insurance by switching to Geico...by the way, you overbid, and have your pets spayed and neutered!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!