Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alan Thicke Produces New Show?  (Read 2186 times)

reason1024

Alan Thicke Produces New Show?
« on: March 31, 2004, 11:21:28 AM »
Hi all,

I was listening to the morning drive show here in New Orleans, and Alan Thicke (Growing Pains) was being interviewed.  At the end of the segment, he claimed he was producing a new game show called "Second Honeymoon" in conjunction with some Las Vegas hotel.  The first 100 couples to call an 800 number would get a free "junket" trip to the hotel where they would be interviewed for the game show.

After the commercial break the DJs apologized and said the trip was obviously "a scam", but... who knows?

Anybody else heard anything?

TraderRob

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 12:09:01 PM »
Alan was also on the radio this morning on Chicago's 101.9 FM "The Mix" and was supposed to be promoting his new Growing Pains reunion movie but then started going on about his new show "Second Honeymoon" and also provided the 866 number to call to for the free trip to Vegas and the interview for the show.   The radio hosts Eric & Kathy also claimed there was no validity to what Alan said on the air and that anyone who called was doing so at their own risk.     Eric & Kathy basically reduced him to an infomercial and didn't sound too happy as to what had happened...

Rob

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 12:14:12 PM »
Another growing pains movie?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 12:33:59 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 31 2004, 01:14 PM\'] Another growing pains movie? [/quote]
 Well, that part's true anyway.  It's officially called Growing Pains II with a subtitle that's been variously reported as Home Equity or In Escrow.  Still, there's already been at least one Growing Pains reunion film, so calling this one II doesn't seem quite right.

As for the other, that sounds very weird.  Usually guests are pretty upfront about the projects they're plugging, and it would be very unusual for a DJ to disclaim after the fact like that, especially to use language like "scam".  I'll be anxious to hear what the deal is with that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 06:20:44 PM »
At one station I worked at, I was called by a firm that used celebrity interviews as a method of promoting a Las Vegas condo package with free trips to the first whatever number callers. I tried a couple, as we were pretty new and wanted to see if we'd get any response. The first with the incredibly sharp Al Lewis (Grandpa Munster) was one of my favorite moments in the biz. Sharp, insightful, full of classic tv stories and hardly plugged the hotel thing at all. The next with Bernie Kopell was all promo push. Way too much push for a comfort level, so we dropped them. We were told up front their celebs were under contract as representatives for the Vegas properties and a push was to be expected, so we knew that going in. I hope whoever is in charge of this Thicke tour is being equally forthright - but it doesn't sound it....

Second Honeymoon, eh? If successful, that would make it the third game show with that title -
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 06:26:19 PM by The Ol' Guy »

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 06:02:11 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 31 2004, 06:20 PM\'] At one station I worked at, I was called by a firm that used celebrity interviews as a method of promoting a Las Vegas condo package with free trips to the first whatever number callers. I tried a couple, as we were pretty new and wanted to see if we'd get any response. The first with the incredibly sharp Al Lewis (Grandpa Munster) was one of my favorite moments in the biz. [/quote]
 A couple of years ago, Al "Grandpa" Lewis did the "interviewcial" on the Vegas thing on a local radio station.  He did indeed do a lot of genuine Q & A about his career, and even had a Fact or Fiction trivia game for a DVD player.  

It was fun rooting the contestants in hoping they'd be wrong, for everytime a wrong answer was given, he'd do his trademark Mad Scientist laugh from "The Munsters".

Getting back to Allan, tis sad when someone who is/was making a decent living in game shows goes into the infomercial/paid testimonial business to plug things that don't really work, or things that have strings attached to them.  What about the days when people used to plug real, quality products?

jrjgames

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 07:48:35 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 31 2004, 12:14 PM\'] Another growing pains movie? [/quote]
 Yeah and I heard that the story involves the Seavers selling their house and moving even tho they ALREADY DID THAT IN THE LAST EPISODE ;)

John