Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show comedy  (Read 1707 times)

GS Warehouse

Game Show comedy
« on: April 01, 2004, 06:15:16 PM »
On this April Fool's Day, I am going to ask a question based on the best kind of comedy: unintentional.  In general, which is these makes for the funniest gs moment?
  • A bad answer caused by prematurely buzzing in
  • An answer that has nothing to do with the question, i.e. answering just to answer
  • The use of a word not typically used on a game show
  • The dreaded "technical difficulties"
  • The host messes up his lines.
I'm not looking for specific gs examples of the above, just which is the funniest in general.  Write-ins are allowed.

I leave this question with some good news (scroll down to see) ...

T
i
k
i

c
a
n

d
e
a
l

m
e

i
n

a
n
y
d
a
y
:-)

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!

j/k April Fool's!

ObGS: Is it just me or has Geico bought a lot of ad time on GSN?

DrBear

Game Show comedy
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 07:34:44 PM »
In general, which is these makes for the funniest gs moment?
  • A bad answer caused by prematurely buzzing in
  • An answer that has nothing to do with the question, i.e. answering just to answer
  • The use of a word not typically used on a game show
  • The dreaded "technical difficulties"
  • The host messes up his lines.
I'm not looking for specific gs examples of the above, just which is the funniest in general.  Write-ins are allowed.[/i]

It depends on what it is. An early answer can be funny or it may not. Ditto for the others. Word not used? I don't know how funny profanity is, but in context it can be. Most mess-ups are funny to those involved, but to me they're unprofessional and unless they lead to something else — see the "France" episode on Password — they're forgettable.  And one of the funniest moments around — YOU FOOL! — doesn't fit under ANY of the above categories.

ObGS: Is it just me or has Geico bought a lot of ad time on GSN?
Geico buys a lot of ad time everywhere. If they didn't, maybe they could cut their rates some more.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

The Ol' Guy

Game Show comedy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 09:41:53 PM »
I might not be totally grasping the question, as each of the choices are potentially hilarious depending on the show. A technical glitch on Beat The Clock would be irritating and potentially game-altering, where Wink having to give players back the dice himself if his High Rollers table conveyor shorted out could be played for laughs. There were a few shows that had a potential for humor just from playing the game - other than Match Game, where every dirty mind could enjoy itself with the double entendre (sp?), two that immediately come to mind are Make A Face and Eye Guess - the way that contestants could be set up to make genuinely innocent mistakes that could lead to big laughs in a kind way was neat. As the game begins and players call out numbers that either create a funny mixed-up face or reveal a mismatched answer to the question, it is just part of the game and not forced. I've always wished Eye Guess would come back - even with slightly edgier answers, you could have a good game show with a strong potential for comedy that doesn't come from setting celebrities up with scripts or intentionally embarrasing somebody (GSN, take note - lighthearted game, a couple of funny contemporary writers, cheap set, simple prizes, you own the rights?). Doing Make A Face with celebrity photos could be fun, too. The format's a little creaky for today's viewers, but used as part of a more contemporary-themed game, it could be fun. I say innocent mistakes are the funniest moments.

uncamark

Game Show comedy
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 12:27:30 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Apr 1 2004, 07:34 PM\']ObGS: Is it just me or has Geico bought a lot of ad time on GSN?
Geico buys a lot of ad time everywhere. If they didn't, maybe they could cut their rates some more.[/quote]
In fact, I saw somewhere that Geico is one of the top 10 advertisers on TV--because they buy in volume on every channel.

ObGameShow:  How 'bout that Holiday Inn Express "J!" spot?  Good for a chuckle.

vtown7

Game Show comedy
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 09:11:39 PM »
QUOTE:

ObGameShow: How 'bout that Holiday Inn Express "J!" spot? Good for a chuckle.
------------

Now that stunned me when I saw it!  Next up: Geico gecko on Wheel?

Cheers,

Ryan :)

Jay Temple

Game Show comedy
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 10:26:44 PM »
I'll go for a specific type of the first option.  A player interrupts a question and gives an answer that turns out to be absurd when the entire question is revealed.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

Game Show comedy
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 11:01:33 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Apr 2 2004, 09:11 PM\'] Now that stunned me when I saw it!  Next up: Geico gecko on Wheel?
 [/quote]
 TPiR showcase...contestant has bid $30,000

BOB: (name of contestant), you have bid $30,000 on your showcase...I have some good news for you!

CONTESTANT: I won the showcase?

BOB: Noooo...I saved 15% on my car insurance by switching to Geico...by the way, you overbid, and have your pets spayed and neutered!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!